What Do I Buy To Become An Audiophile?

susheeljohn

I have listened to systems delivering close to 500 (real) watts into just two speakers over extended periods of 8 hours with an urge to hear more. No fatigue whatsoever. Cheers

WOW..what is this system and the speakers ?.. just curious !:yahoo:

Re: Any comments on Bose Speakers ?

This was a kilowatt amp made by Audire of Coimbatore feeding two of their reference level speakers as well as a pair of PSB Synchrony Ones.

Cheers

What would be equivalent ones that are available currently ?.:p

What would be equivalent ones that are available currently ?.:p

I think Audire has stopped making these amps, though they may be happy to make one for you if you place an order. You should count a minimum of 5 zeros after a number that could be between 1 and 2. :):)

Cheers

I think Audire has stopped making these amps, though they may be happy to make one for you if you place an order. You should count a minimum of 5 zeros after a number that could be between 1 and 2. :):)

Cheers

I guess I can burn that big a hole in my wallet at the moment..could you recommend any replacement brands that are a little more pocket friendly in the range of 50K ?.:cool:

I guess I can burn that big a hole in my wallet at the moment..could you recommend any replacement brands that are a little more pocket friendly in the range of 50K ?.:cool:

What kind of specs are your looking at? I am sure a lot of us could help you.

Cheers

What kind of specs are your looking at? I am sure a lot of us could help you.

Cheers

To be honest - I cant call myself an audiophile, I love good music and have been using a Kenwood Compact HI FI system for over 10 years.
A philips 5.1 DVD player is connected via AUX to this system.

The new stuff I am looking for is primary use music 80% and 20 % movies,
The room is approximately 18 *12 ft and shared also as the sitting area ( not a dedicated space).

I recently got myself a dell HTPC with HD 1028p , 7.1 channel onboard HD audio capability and HDMI. I was hoping to get a system that will be connected to this and hence the whole BOSE exercise. And thanks to this forum didnt flush my cash down the drain.

From the forum , I gather that a 5.1 system doesnt really deliver music , so I am considering to just settle for a 5.1 desktop accompaniment speaker set for the movie requirement and go in for a stereo amp which I can still use with my exisiting philips DVD player and get speakers that match the amp.

With respect to the music genere - Western Classical, Jazz, bit of Rock , Opera, old hindi movie songs, Gazaals, tamil movie songs are the mainstay.

Budget between 60-75K.

looking forward to the inputs.
Should this have been another thread ?.

thanks in advance.:)

To be honest - I cant call myself an audiophile, I love good music and have been using a Kenwood Compact HI FI system for over 10 years.
A philips 5.1 DVD player is connected via AUX to this system.

The new stuff I am looking for is primary use music 80% and 20 % movies,
The room is approximately 18 *12 ft and shared also as the sitting area ( not a dedicated space).

I recently got myself a dell HTPC with HD 1028p , 7.1 channel onboard HD audio capability and HDMI. I was hoping to get a system that will be connected to this and hence the whole BOSE exercise. And thanks to this forum didnt flush my cash down the drain.

From the forum , I gather that a 5.1 system doesnt really deliver music , so I am considering to just settle for a 5.1 desktop accompaniment speaker set for the movie requirement and go in for a stereo amp which I can still use with my exisiting philips DVD player and get speakers that match the amp.

With respect to the music genere - Western Classical, Jazz, bit of Rock , Opera, old hindi movie songs, Gazaals, tamil movie songs are the mainstay.

Budget between 60-75K.

looking forward to the inputs.
Should this have been another thread ?.

thanks in advance.:)

why don't u pay virenji (Lyrita) a visit one of these days... being delhi based? also, do try and attend the informal meets that keep getting conducted, educative.

why don't u pay virenji (Lyrita) a visit one of these days... being delhi based? also, do try and attend the informal meets that keep getting conducted, educative.

Thanks ..how does one get invited to these informal meets and can you give me the coordinates for virenji..:)

@hifiashiok,

Please Tag me in as well. I am based out of Gurgaon. Budget 40K, looking for an AVR for 50-50 usage of Music and Movies. Room size (in rented house) 13x15 approx.

Thanks

@hifiashiok,

Please Tag me in as well. I am based out of Gurgaon. Budget 40K, looking for an AVR for 50-50 usage of Music and Movies. Room size (in rented house) 13x15 approx.

Thanks

can u pl. PM your eMail ID to susheeljohn ji so he fwds the eMail I had sent him on this? not able to do this myself at this time.

The thread header is quite an interesting one... "How to become an audiophile?"

The answers that I read are only half the story... Gear, more gear and nothing but gear...

But, the answer actually lies closer to your heart. You begin being an audiophile by loving the music. By exploring more and more of it. By collecting it. Understanding it. Enjoying it.

Gear, just gets let's you enjoy it another level.

Now, if someone owns a multi-million dollar system and listens to very limited quantities of popular music, i'd term him a gear enthusiast as best.

An audiophile, first, is a person who knows his music. Has the music. Then slowly, as and when, depending on his purse, carefully spends it on gear that will allow him/her to enjoy it even more.

And that's that.

So, you can be an audiophile at a Rs. 30k budget. And you can be an audiophile at a 30cr budget. The budget is indicative of your spending power. Not the love of music. remember that.

And yes, there is fairly decent gear at all price points. With their own set of limitations.

If you really want something special, at a fairly modest price point try Viren, at Lyrita.

Or you can also try various budget set-ups at lakozy and Bass 'n treble - Denny Jose.

You, my friend are an audiophile already if you love the music.

The answers that I read are only half the story... Gear, more gear and nothing but gear...

But, the answer actually lies closer to your heart. You begin being an audiophile by loving the music. By exploring more and more of it. By collecting it. Understanding it. Enjoying it.

An audiophile, first, is a person who knows his music. Has the music. Then slowly, as and when, depending on his purse, carefully spends it on gear that will allow him/her to enjoy it even more.

And that's that.

So, you can be an audiophile at a Rs. 30k budget. And you can be an audiophile at a 30cr budget. The budget is indicative of your spending power. Not the love of music. remember that.

And yes, there is fairly decent gear at all price points. With their own set of limitations.

+10 to this. Well said!

Cannot be expressed any better !!!!

This is probably the perfect definition.

Hi John,
I know one guy, whose name is S.John working in an Oil PSU. Don't know, whether you are the same guy or not.

Anyway, my experience in this vast and enjoyable line is limited and started setting up my system only 2 years ago.

If you are keen to find soul of music and tone, you please visit Mr. Viren as suggested by Mr. Ashok.

Cheers

Amit

Last edited:
I beg to differ from a few here...An audiophile's quest is to reproduce music as close to the original recording as possible. This can only happen with high end equipment. Being an audiophile is a hobby.

This is different from being a music lover. An audiophile may be a music lover but the vice versa may not be true.

Audiophiles who are non music lovers are nothing more than gadget gurus who get thrills by owning various audio equipments, wherein the temporary joy is obtained by the sense of ownership of such equipment.

I beg to differ from a few here...An audiophile's quest is to reproduce music as close to the original recording as possible. This can only happen with high end equipment. Being an audiophile is a hobby.

This is different from being a music lover. An audiophile may be a music lover but the vice versa may not be true.

Audiophiles who are non music lovers are nothing more than gadget gurus who get thrills by owning various audio equipments, wherein the temporary joy is obtained by the sense of ownership of such equipment.

Audiophile/Music lover etc are not scientific properties to be exactly defined and to classify into, although this language is often used by reviewers more as a means to signify intent rather than classification. in the end it is a quest for perfect sound !
in the end everyone is in this hobby because they love music..on can never judge a component if they do not feel the music !. although different people do have different views on how to go about it, the "Pure gadget gurus" are not really audiophiles if they do not enjoy music

I believe it is more about the intent. if you do have the intent of getting your system to sound good you are an audiophile. it is not about the equipment you have and how much you paid for it !
completely agree with Malvai's post above

The thread header is quite an interesting one... "How to become an audiophile?"

Now, if someone owns a multi-million dollar system and listens to very limited quantities of popular music, i'd term him a gear enthusiast as best.

And that's that.

If you really want something special, at a fairly modest price point try Viren, at Lyrita.

Or you can also try various budget set-ups at lakozy and Bass 'n treble - Denny Jose.

One of the most sensible posts that I've seen in the forum.:clapping:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back