What do I need beyond the AVR?

pguy

My home is pre-wired for ceiling speakers in multiple rooms. I recently picked up a AVR to put in a 5.1 system in the hall. My media sources are CD/DVD/NAS streamed files with a Dune frontend.

My question is:

1) To power the speakers in all the other rooms - can I simply connect it to the AVR? The AVR is a SC LX 85 9.2 , so there are a few spare channels on this one. But I don't want to run the 5.1 and the room music at the same time. So do I need to buy another amp?

2) The idea is to be able to select the music for both the 5.1 and the other rooms from the dune frontend itself (makes it easier for the family) - how and what do I need to pull it off?

Thanks

You need to use the multizone feature of the AVR, but multi zone is usually for 2.0 set up and not 5.1, that is the main room can have a 5.1 source playing while the other room can listen to 2.0 source.

How many rooms can be connected, depends on the number of multi zones available on the AVR. If you want to connect more rooms then what your AVR supports then you need to purchase a separate Multi-source, Multi-Zone receiver, something like Denon DRA-397 (Only for Stereo though)

This might be what I am looking for :D - all the other rooms don't need a 5.1, just the 2.0 music streamed and each room has its own volume controls.

With multizone, can I listen to a 5.1 in the main zone and stream different music in the other zone?

Thanks

With multizone, can I listen to a 5.1 in the main zone and stream different music in the other zone?
Thanks

Yep, thats what multiroom recievers are for ... :)
But make sure your AVR does have that multizone feature. It requires multi source as well.

Perfect! Got lucky because the receiver supports it!

Blurb found in their brochures.
The Multi-zone function allows AV equipment to actually control either the same, or a separate source than the one being listened to in the main room, to another location.

For example, you can be watching a DVD movie with surround sound in the main room, while someone else can listen to a CD player in another, at the same time.

Thanks sam9s!

Any Time ...:) .... Use of the Thanks Button would have been more appritiated ....:D

Apart from speaker cables, you need plan how you can stop, start, skip, raise volume or mute when you are in other room. It is ideal for listening to long playlists or FM radio. Some players/AVR can be controlled via iOS/android apps through Wifi. That will be convenient.

Apart from speaker cables, you need plan how you can stop, start, skip, raise volume or mute when you are in other room. It is ideal for listening to long playlists or FM radio. Some players/AVR can be controlled via iOS/android apps through Wifi. That will be convenient.

Thankfully we had pre-planned the wiring and each room has its own volume control.

Can you throw some more light on this? How is the volume control implemented.

We used in-ceiling speakers and put in the cabling when the POP work was being done. Every room has its own volume control using this module: Monster 75 Watt Volume Speaker Control Stereo Audio SVC-75 In-Wall Volume Control with Impedance Matching Sound Adjustment Interface Module, 25W RMS, 75W White Flush Mount Plate, HPVOL, Part # SVC75: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furnitur

Then this module carries the cable all the way to a unified location where the AVR is kept.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back