What do i need?-Requirement Audio stereo music only

thanks marsilians and venkatji

i am trying to audition them(8.4) and a pair of 9.2 on the same day. if that does work out i will be able to judge better.
if not then i will have to rely on advice from you all.

Also a member informed me about a pair of mission m33i (13k)and m34i (18k)availble at vijay sales which is also in my budget,

damn!
i had almost settled for the 9.2's after a few auditions but now i just have to hear the missions to satisfy myself

though i will hear them and decide i would like to have everyones inputs about the m33i and m34i compared to the 9.2 diamonds
please do pour in if you have heard these speakers

Magma - I have an opinion that is a bit different from the ones expressed by the respected members. If your requirement is primarily for music, over time you are going to be disappointed with a 2.1 system. Especially if you are looking to spend less than 50 K on the subwoofer.

There are subwoofers which dont know a thing about integrating well with bookshelves. On the other hand there are also subs that can move nimbly yet powerfully and can work well with the bookshelf speakers. But if you listen to non-bass heavy music (a few of the albums you mentioned seemed to indicate something on those lines) listening comfort will be sacrificed if you use a sub. For tireless, long term listening a pair of main speakers cannot be beat by a sub - especially at the kind of budget you are talking about.

Of course, conversely the thrills and the sheer weight of sound produced by a sub cannot be matched by the main speakers. I guess, as in life so in audio too:). Personally I would recommend looking at a medium priced floorstander - something like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5. I have also listened to the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 and found them quite good. A bit dry sounding as opposed to the warm sound of the Wharfedales but they are alright. The Mission 33is and 34is I would avoid.

Regardling bookshelves, I own a pair of PSB Alpha B1s and am pretty partial to them - not surprisingly. Jokes apart, I did listen to the Wharfedales and a lot of other speakers for a long time before committing to the Alphas and they have not disappointed. Other than bass extension there are not many things I have found to complain about in the Alphas till date.

I hope this has not created any confusion. But please do keep in mind that I am speaking with specific reference to music and not HT usage.

@vortex.

sir you have not confused me at all.
in fact you have reminded me about how i tone down my sub in the car when i travel intercity ( you are right about a sub causing fatigue in many cases!)

i have not decided to get a sub for home use.

it was always either good floorstanders or good bookshelves(now) only
i was considering the 8.4 diamond but alas no audition.

i am yet to audition the m33i and m34i since they are probably the only floorstanders i can afford

otherwise my choice is most probably
A diamond 9.2
or a MA br2 (yet to audition)
polk audio TSI 200 (suggested by pro fx-yet to audition)
psb Alpha B1
coupled with either a

yamaha ax397/Cambride 340 SE/Denon PMa 500/marantz 4021/yamaha rx397/
(in that order)
or ofcourse something pre owned that fits in my budget

please do give opinions

P.s i loved the kef iq5 with the denon amp however that speaker costs almost 20k with discounts (above my budget)
the mordunt short i auditioned were not to my liking

i can also get a warfedale 9.5 for 21k but that means i can afford only a norge amp :((not too sure if the above mentioned amps would be able to drive floorstander)

Last edited:
I would add the EPOS ELS 3 to that list. Please see if you can audition this speaker. This should be the same price as the Alpha B1s I believe.

The best way, I have heard from experts here, to go about the hifi purchase decision is by allocating the lion's share of the funds for the speakers - close to or even more than 60% of the money. Then come amplification and source devices and then wires and finally room enhancement and such.

Have you narrowed down a choice of stereo amplifier? I have listened to the Mission M33i many times. It is a good little floorstander - the emphasis being on the word 'little'. For its size it is a good performer. However, on pure music I would rate even the PSB as well as the Wharfedale Diamond bookshelves to be better performers. If your budget is non negotiable then it is best to go for bookshelves now. By the way, 21K for the Diamond 9.5 is a steal! If the speakers are new, that is.

Considering that this is a stereo system, you cannot go for a cheaper speaker now and then move it back to the rear channels when you get better ones:). I would say - pick one out of the PSB, Wharfedale and EPOS. All three of these speakers are very highly rated. The PSB is ideally suited for music that is based more on voice as it has this lovely quality that brings out ever dip, soar and detail in the human voice. The Diamond is a warm speaker - it can be reasonably fatigue free as well but the quality comes at a little loss of detail in complex tracks. It also came across as a little bit too sweet for my taste - especially in female vocals. But that could just be my preference. The EPOS ELS 3 - I have not heard, but I have heard its bigger brothers many many times and hold them in high regard - EPOS M 12.2. Considering the reviews of the ELS 3, I have no doubt that these two are fantastic speakers. EPOS in general does a lovely job with instruments, imaging and are good speakers for long term listening.

If you are considering the Diamond 9.5 at 21 K, then the EPOS ELS 303 which is also a floorstander, can be considered. Although the Diamond 9.5 is much better in the bass department than the EPOS floorstander. I suspect that the EPOS is a more musical speaker though.

hello all

Dinyaar ji here in mumbai has been kind enough to help me during my auditions in mumbai
though i had auditioned a few speakers before
I started the process all over again after hearing what dinyaar had to say about selecting a speaker.
so off i went with my test cd and notebook ( i realised cataloging was important which speakers what date what amplification and wht source)

Please note the following are entirely noob reviews i have nothing to compare them too hence the initial auditions may be fairly one sided till i move on and have something to compare to.
Also these are purely my opinions which may ( and most probably are) incorrect.

Day 1

Venue
Pro FX atria mall mumbai

Audition List
Polk TSI 200/300
KEF iq3

the kef iq3 was not availble so i auditioned the
kef iq1

model: KEF iQ1
MRP :18500
amplification :Denon 1909
source: denon

now this is a bookshelf with a 5 inch driver with a tweeter built (its called Uni-Q) the argument is that this helps better dispersion for the highs

Build & looks: the build quality was great.i lived the curved cabinet design and liked the quality of the speaker input terminals.they were gold plated(at least seemed to be) and looked durable-. well looks wise its different i like the way the top has a small arch. A fine looking bookshelf

i threw at it some eric clapton,elvis,Fleetwood Mac and Lucky Ali. some test tracks like Jim Keltner on the Drums and Gary boyle
I found the vocals to be clean and the mids to be clear.i could make out each guitar string well. a little bass shy on certain guitar notes and drums,(drum rolls could be identified but were weak) but i wasnt complaining too much. its a completely fatigue free speaker.i would advice for anyone who loves listening to music rather than tapping to the music beats.
Basically a clear speaker for vocals. definetely no trance or hip hop here.
Latha,kishore elvis , sinatara sounded beautiful

Result : i think the new KEF iQ30 will be good and take care of some of the bass dept

NEXT
model: Polk TSI 200 and 300 (bass was the only diff)
MRP :15000 and 21000
amplification :Denon 1909
source: denon

the TSI 300 is a floorstander. a new entry level floorstander

BUild quality : the wood was not as good as a Jamo or the Kef. i would call it slightly above average build quality.Looks were umm conservative.
it has two 5 inch bas drivers and a tweeter.

i threw at it the same tracks.well jim keltner on the drums sounded amazingandthe bass notes on the guitar by clapton came alive.However vocals could not match the KEF what "effect" was achived in the instruments was lost in the clarity of the upper mids and vocals.
Not as Fatigue free as the Kefs.Seemed cloudy
More of a party speaker.

Result: yes the bass was there but lack of clarity in the mids and upper mids and vocals put me off. i couldnt hear more than 4 tracks.
Kef wins!

Ohh yes at let me say the Denon 1909 AVR wasin NO WAY as laid back or dull as its made out to be in some posts in this forum.If paired wit a lively speaker like the KEF i think its a good performer and should be considered before onkyo(speaking about music).
in budget amps i think i would put it below a marantz but not below an entry level cambridge(when paired correctly i believe a MA should go well with it too)

Now since i was at Atria i went on to the Sonodyne listening room
Venue : Sonodyne
model: Sonus 1605 floorstanders
MRP :16000
amplification :SIA 1021
source: Cambridge

build and looks : well both were pretty ordinary after seeing the KEf.Quality of wood was not great and seemed as if the laminate was sunmica that would peel off

i jotted down three things
NO vocals
No drum roll ( the drumm ROLL sounded like two beats!)
Flat guitar

Advice : i hope they could either pair the speakers with another amp or the amp with other speakers since the Sonodyne combo is not helping either of the components

Result : i thought i should not complain too much since at 9k(with small disc) the bookshelves are cheap but then i realised the warfedales 9.1 are for 10k and way better in build and sound.
so basically the first line i jotted down in my pad sums it up
"a Painful audition"
Im sorry if this seemed really one sided but "what to do?:("

More auditions to follow tomm.
Next stop Designer Audio and Lakozy with Dinyaar( hopefully)

Good magma. Listening for yourself is the only way, if not the best way to judge for yourself.

I agree with you about the Wharfedales. Very good VFM and pretty good in SQ too. In their budget pretty unbeatable. I have had my eyes (or is that ears) on the KEF Reference series myself for a while now.

Good magma. Listening for yourself is the only way, if not the best way to judge for yourself.

I agree with you about the Wharfedales. Very good VFM and pretty good in SQ too. In their budget pretty unbeatable. I have had my eyes (or is that ears) on the KEF Reference series myself for a while now.

kEF reference!
the cheapest bookshelf of the new lot is 3,25,000 INR! - REF 201/2
At that budget you have options!

Hi magma,

I am really touched by your efforts. Thanks also to dinyaar to help you out.

Then you have taken also the effort to write all the things down for the benifit and perhaps opinion from others. Great!!! That's the way to go about it. Keep us posted about the other auditions.

i have started another thread where i have continued with some reviews

Thanks Asit
i thought i musrgive my inputs back to a forum that helped me start my musical journey

Last edited:
Cayin makes nice vfm products. 23k for that amp is a steal to be honest. Its far far better than the NADs and Marantz amps you are considering.

Could be a good amp, But do not buy before a proper demo. As tubes are an aquired taste. Also look at the cost of replacing the tubes. But you can aslo tweak the sound by changing the tubes.
ROC can throw more light on it.
IMO you should choose your spk first.
All the best
Cheers

i was offered this recently for 23-24k
demo piece
Cayin MT-35 Integrated Tube Amplifier

im not considering it , but just wanted to know about this amp since ive not heard of it

Could be a good amp, But do not buy before a proper demo. As tubes are an aquired taste. Also look at the cost of replacing the tubes. But you can aslo tweak the sound by changing the tubes.
ROC can throw more light on it.
IMO you should choose your spk first.
All the best
Cheers

What constitutes good sound is very subjective, and to a large extent depends on prior conditioning, i.e. the kind of sound you have heard and admired in the past. Tubes do come closer to a more realistic reproduction of sound, but there are trade-offs involved with all but the costliest tube gear. For example, you may just find that it lacks the ultimate 'slam' you require for heavier rock recordings. So evaluate the trade-off and see if it is acceptable to you.

That said, budget tube equipment has come a long way from the old cliche of rosy, mid-rangy sound of yesteryears, and Cayin as a manufacturer epitomises this evolution. 23K for this model is certainly a good deal.

Tubes are also far more sensitive to partnering equipment, so match both the source and speakers carefully.

helo all

i am looking at the option of getting a NAD 325 or marantz PM 6002 from singapore through a friend.
please could someone help me about any problems he would face (if any) at the airports etc.(will he have to pay duty etc)

whats the best he he should carry it.?
i find carrying the amp in a large thick plastic bad in hand luggage is good (ive carried a couple dvd players like this and found it doesnt attract anyone)

I dont want to upset his travel so im considering if he will get hasseled anywhere

helo all

i am looking at the option of getting a NAD 325 or marantz PM 6002 from singapore through a friend.
please could someone help me about any problems he would face (if any) at the airports etc.(will he have to pay duty etc)

i find carrying the amp in a large thick plastic bad in hand luggage is good (ive carried a couple dvd players like this and found it doesnt attract anyone)

I dont want to upset his travel so im considering if he will get hasseled anywhere

Great move!! :D

My Bro got me the 325 from Singapore inside his suitcase minus the original carton. The customs spotted it and asked him what it was.. he replied honestly - "an Amplifier" , they waved him by and let him go.

I know that from the US we are allowed upto USD 500 duty free. Not sure abt Singapore.

Cheers

In any case with 30% duty ( 4 % waived recently I believe) it is still a great bargain compared to 70 - 100% mark up here in India.

Note that International prices you see on the web include customs duty, so for ex: A UK site listing non-UK manufactured product will include 30% customs. So paying 100% margin on top of the International price for a product shipped from closer home in APAC is a real rip-off!! Duty is even higher in Scandinavian countries I believe.

The import route is the fairest deal you will get. But make sure the box is opened and the product demo'ed at the showroom itself before re-packaging it.

Cheers

Last edited:
helo all

it will be difficult bringing it as hand luggage due to its weight. wrap it up in black plastic and perhaps in the middle of clothes to cushion it and bring it in as normal luggage. and you are allowed upto rs 20000 free of charge. anything above that is chargeable. a little bit here and there the guys dont normally mind too much.

my doubt is why should customs duty be applicable?

i thought i had once read that goods under 20k are duty free.
why should i hide from customs if i have a bill and why should i even dispose the carton.

i that required?

can someone confirm on any customs rule from singapore?

If he's doing his own shopping besides your amp, for the total list of goods, pay duty on the smallest item exceeding 20K and offer to refund it. Just in case, give your friend some xtra cash to keep handy like 4K to pay duty. That way he won't be inconvenienced. I would suggest you bring it in the original carton then.

Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back