What do i need?-Requirement Audio stereo music only

afj said:
it will be difficult bringing it as hand luggage due to its weight. wrap it up in black plastic and perhaps in the middle of clothes to cushion it and bring it in as normal luggage. and you are allowed upto rs 20000 free of charge. anything above that is chargeable. a little bit here and there the guys don't normally mind too much.

If the item is packed well with Styrofoam inside, it should take a air travel quite well. After all that is how the manufacturers and distributors ship the items amongst themselves. I have bough a sub woofer, a AVR, and innumerable DVD players without any hitch. The DVD Players I carry by hand. Larger and heavier items have always been checked in.

my doubt is why should customs duty be applicable?
i thought i had once read that goods under 20k are duty free. why should i hide from customs if i have a bill and why should i even dispose the carton.
Can someone confirm on any customs rule from singapore?

The duty is the same irrespective of which country you bring the item from excluding Nepal. You are allowed upto 20,000 rupees of free baggage, and all value above that is charged. Duty is applicable on literally all electronic items, though the customs officer at the airport have lot of leeway nowadays in terms of letting items through.

In terms of hiding, I agree with you. I always head straight for the Red Channel and declare my items. I have always travelled through Chennai, and I have never paid more than 2,000 as duty. Most of the times, the duty officer will ask me how much I am willing to pay, and what I am going to do with the item. As it is always for personal use, I generally get away with small duty.

In terms of billing, most retailer will be agreeable to give you a bill of lower value, or even a bill pre-dated six months or more. In the second case, if you tell the officer it is an used item that you picked from a friend, he will just let you go.

I have found that these day the customs officer are more concerned with drugs, gold, and such items. You be pleasant to them, and you can get away with a lot.

Cheers

The current limit is 25k if you have travelled for 5 days or more. You would need to carry the original invoices and in general should be fine.

However, custom officials do sometimes have issues with certain products where they believe their own internal price list and not your bill. However, with amplifiers the chances of this is remote. The last few years I have seen customs being more relaxed for 'consumer' type items unless its way above the limit.

The other worry would be weight. From the US, the weight limit is much higher, however, typically flights from Singapore only allow 20/25 kgs depending upon your flight class, so excess baggage may be a significant cost.

It's a handmade custom acoustic - not a 'brand'. No laminates or plastic anywhere, no pickup. Spruce top with Indian Rosewood (what irony!) back and sides, Mahogany neck and Ebony fretboard, Rosewood bridge and compensated bone saddle. Because it's solid wood, it's rich and resonant, deep bass and bright top end, with a very full midrange. Makes a nice bottom fill, or lead in a quiet mix. I have other guitars for top fill and to cut through some muddy instruments, this is a pure large-bodied acoustic.

The Luthier's website is here:
Code:
www.leeguitars.com

with a guitar like that you better be good at playing it:D

It's a handmade custom acoustic - not a 'brand'. No laminates or plastic anywhere, no pickup. Spruce top with Indian Rosewood (what irony!) back and sides, Mahogany neck and Ebony fretboard, Rosewood bridge and compensated bone saddle. Because it's solid wood, it's rich and resonant, deep bass and bright top end, with a very full midrange. Makes a nice bottom fill, or lead in a quiet mix. I have other guitars for top fill and to cut through some muddy instruments, this is a pure large-bodied acoustic.

The Luthier's website is here:
Code:
www.leeguitars.com

whoa, cool!

Actually, I suck. :D Since I moved from Calcutta I've not played in a band - which doesn't help. I also stopped playing for three years in Mumbai. I started again in August 07, which is when I got the guitar. Hopefully it helps me sound a little better than I really am.

So are you cranky when playing the guitar too [Big] :)

cranky
cant remember following your thread of the speakers that you were buying. what did you finally buy. how does it sound

Are done with your Buffalo DAC? If so how does it sound? This is one DAC I'm very interested in knowing more about.

hello all
im done with my auditions
(i will auditon norge and lithos due to certain requests)

ive decided on the amp
it will be either a NAD 320 BEE or the NAd 325 ( whichever deal sounds sweeter to me)

However im still a little confused on my speaker choices
As you must have read in another thread ive auditioned almost 17 speakers
14 bookshelves and 3 floorstanders ( some reviews are pending)

i have narrowed down to 4 choices
the PSB Image B15
Ma BR2
MS 904i
and the Tannoy F1 custom.

ive liked all 3 and all are pretty much the same price as well which makes the decsion even more difficult
Now i wish i had not liked so many

do you think a re audition would help me bring down the list to half

im finding it difficult to select between them due to the different venues.
would appreciate some inputs that would be usful for me in narrowing down my choices

thanks to all for listening

Last edited:
The journey should be as much fun as the destination....so I am glad you went through the auditions. You will be able to provide lots of insights and feedback to other members who will be in a similar spot down the line.

Having said this, since you already have decided on the NAD sound signature you need a slightly forward speaker. So here is my order of picks.

1. PSB - for sacrificing a bit of details wil bring in a huge soundstage that will be great for HT utilisation.

2. MA - have the best tweeters amongst the lot but lack in soundstage. They can't keep up with the PSB when you watches movies esp. at higher volumes. Their lower mids will show a lack of extensions.

No 3 & 4.
MS/Tannoy - too much of the English signature in them. Nothing spectacular unless you are into laid back music. I suggest you drop them.

hello all
im done with my auditions
(i will auditon norge and lithos due to certain requests)

ive decided on the amp
it will be either a NAD 320 BEE or the NAd 325 ( whichever deal sounds sweeter to me)

However im still a little confused on my speaker choices
As you must have read in another thread ive auditioned almost 17 speakers
14 bookshelves and 3 floorstanders ( some reviews are pending)

i have narrowed down to 4 choices
the PSB Image B15
Ma BR2
MS 904i
and the Tannoy F1 custom.

ive liked all 3 and all are pretty much the same price as well which makes the decsion even more difficult
Now i wish i had not liked so many

do you think a re audition would help me bring down the list to half

im finding it difficult to select between them due to the different venues.
would appreciate some inputs that would be usful for me in narrowing down my choices

thanks to all for listening

Hey! I feel only you can make a descion of the kinda spk you like. It's all about your choice of sq.
I know you must be almost exausted by this marathon but I suggest, since you've narrowed down on your amp & CDp buy them & take them around for the second round of auditions. Do not buy you until you are sure of what will be the best compromise for you.

All the best.
Cheers

hm im not asing about the Sq.
that as you say can and should be judged only by me.

but inputs regaurding the build ( e.g the paper cone of the tannoys vs the moulded cone of the psb)..things like those would help
resale value
service
past expereinces with the product
stuff like that

basically though i like the tannoys they would loose simply because 18k is too high i feel for a 0.6 inch particle board with a paer cone woofer weighing in ant 4 kgs vs the much superior build of the PSB
(above statement holding water only if i like the SQ in both equally or find only a marginal diff)

Hmm! Well if that the way you want to look at it.

Well-made paper drivers are not inferior in built quality to any other material of the same price range. I've a whole bunch of acquaintances who are using diff entry level tannoys for years & if used properly I feel you wont have problems for years. If I have my facts correct the new F1 Custom series is made in UK.
What is the warranty offered on the various spks?

Im no expert on resale prices but, IMO resale should be more or less be the same on all spks. Except may be the wharfdales on which you are likely to break less money as they are very reasonably priced.
All the best
Cheers

You did not mention the specifics in your earlier note so I gave you the distinguishables from a sound signature & past experiences perspective.

Resale - this is hard to measure as there is not such a big market and also there are too many choices. Also these speakers are not unique in any fashion

Service - No comments. A better metric is warranty. Depends on where you purchase these.

So good luck

hm im not asing about the Sq.
that as you say can and should be judged only by me.

but inputs regaurding the build ( e.g the paper cone of the tannoys vs the moulded cone of the psb)..things like those would help
resale value
service
past expereinces with the product
stuff like that

basically though i like the tannoys they would loose simply because 18k is too high i feel for a 0.6 inch particle board with a paer cone woofer weighing in ant 4 kgs vs the much superior build of the PSB
(above statement holding water only if i like the SQ in both equally or find only a marginal diff)

Hmm! Well if that the way you want to look at it.

If I have my facts correct the new F1 Custom series is made in UK.
What is the warranty offered on the various spks?

Cheers

umm. not so sure about that.
its the only speaker i came across which had a nice big aluminium plaque behind it saying
Tannoy-UK
MADE IN CHINA

(not that i care. every speaker except the PSB i think is made in south east asia or china maybe the PSB too)

Would be great if some one can share reviews of Tannoy Mercury MX2.I am considering them for 2.1 setup.

Most PSB are made in Canada. Some lines are made in China. Is there a particular model you have in mind?

umm. not so sure about that.
its the only speaker i came across which had a nice big aluminium plaque behind it saying
Tannoy-UK
MADE IN CHINA

(not that i care. every speaker except the PSB i think is made in south east asia or china maybe the PSB too)

@marsilians

sir
you were right uptill about a half year ago but....
even their synchrony towers costing 4000$ are now shifted to china
Alpha,Image and synchrony are now made in china ( last six months for sure)
This can be confirmed by googling or if that doesnt help priyesh at Lakozy will also tell you the same.
Its only due to this reason that PSB has managed to keep the prices the same compared to some other manufactures who have raised prices this year.(who have always been made in china -( budget speakers at least)
(PSB's costing was first calcualted via Canada now its ia china)

hello all
after the amplifiers and speakers im now looking for suggestions for a source.
BUDGET - UNDER 8K preferably (stretching 10k)
source suggestion may be

1. either a new CDP ( which im pretty sure doesnt fit in my budget )

2. a new DVD player that is musical enough to justify my amp and speakers (after junking my current working sony dvd player) which will provide me decent 2 channel music and also look after my modest movie requirements

3. Keeping my sony DVD player (DVP NS 530)and buying a DAC to go with it for audio
i was wondering if this combo is ok since i dont know much about the transport of my current sony

PLease note the following
1. Amp will most probably be a NAD 325BEE or a Marantz PM6002 and speakers are likely PSB image series
2. i have no AVR (and dont plan to ever have one)so i will be watching movies in stereo mode and connecting the "video out" directly to the TV
3. my TV is 32 inch and not a Full HD TV only HD ready

i have read about the phillips dvd player being a decent one even for audio
also the pioneer 400 series
it is aslo possible for me to get an oppo 980 or any DAC that you suggest from the US through a traveller

keeping my requirements in mind please do advice with make and model no.

looking forward to your help as always

Ali

Back