What happened to Sonodyne?

psidream

Five years back I happened to hear of this brand through the reviews of their acclaimed SM100AK monitors. Shortly after, i had a chance to hear and test out the newer Sonodyne SRP 400 studio monitor(costing around Rs. 50k for a pair) and it literally blew everything else out of the park , even those costing over double its price. I had never heard reverbs and spaces in such detail. We had some direct A/B comparisons done with much more expensive monitors. The brand was also gaining popularity in the west with the new SRP range. I recommended these monitors to a friend.
That was 5 years back.

Then all of a sudden, they disappeared from the online shops outside of India and shortly later, from the pro-audio shops inside India as well. Disappeared from Amazon too. I have no clue what is going on with this company. I visited their official website. There is no customer support number mentioned there. You have to type in your message with your email in there and they would get back to you by email.

Why are there so little outlets for a company that has such amazing reference speakers? I am looking forward to hearing more of their PM series.

I recently went to their service centre at taratolla Kolkata to get an amplifier repaired. I asked them about the lack of listening rooms and they said they are keeping the home audio stuff at dealers who keep various other brands. Auditro in park street is once such place.

Anyway I got my amplifier repaired, service was very cordial and took about a week's time. The place is also a stock yard I suppose and I could see a lot of installation speaker equipment there. They are apparently not concentrating on home audio in the domestic market.

I went to auditro to listen to various equipment including sonodyne, heard the sonus 3155. They were pretty good as compared to the Dali spektor 6. Also heard the Avant t2 but didn't like it much. For the price the Sonus 3155 were fantastic! Finishing was also good. I don't know much about their Pro audio equipment as I have never heard them.

Like you and many others I hope to see them get back into the market. Atleast promote themselves a bit.

Five years back I happened to hear of this brand through the reviews of their acclaimed SM100AK monitors. Shortly after, i had a chance to hear and test out the newer Sonodyne SRP 400 studio monitor(costing around Rs. 50k for a pair) and it literally blew everything else out of the park , even those costing over double its price. I had never heard reverbs and spaces in such detail. We had some direct A/B comparisons done with much more expensive monitors. The brand was also gaining popularity in the west with the new SRP range. I recommended these monitors to a friend.
That was 5 years back.

Then all of a sudden, they disappeared from the online shops outside of India and shortly later, from the pro-audio shops inside India as well. Disappeared from Amazon too. I have no clue what is going on with this company. I visited their official website. There is no customer support number mentioned there. You have to type in your message with your email in there and they would get back to you by email.

Why are there so little outlets for a company that has such amazing reference speakers? I am looking forward to hearing more of their PM series.
Sorry for off topic but same story for equator audio. All of a sudden, they stopped selling and now their website is non-functional. As far as I know, sonodyne makes great studio monitors that were often compared to even genelecs. Wish they stay.

Edit: Found a link to their customer care page where phone number is mentioned.

Maybe they have redesigned their website.

Sorry for off topic but same story for equator audio. All of a sudden, they stopped selling and now their website is non-functional. As far as I know, sonodyne makes great studio monitors that were often compared to even genelecs. Wish they stay.

Edit: Found a link to their customer care page where phone number is mentioned.

Maybe they have redesigned their website.

I'm getting to hear very bad reviews about Sonodyne's after sales support, which may be a reason why the dealers walked away.
Its a shame that speakers of such high quality have to go down the drain. I was interested in their PM series but now I am reluctant.

That was 5 years back.

they are there in the market but more into exporting outside.
after a lot of research i got to demo the srp 202 (srp 400) in bangalore.
they literally blew me away too!
planning on getting the bigger SRP 205 soon.

I think dealers stopped stocking sonodyne because of low demand. Don't think me as anti national, but the sound quality and built wise, sonodyne or Norge, cannot match its imported counterparts. On comparison, even the 30 plus year old Japanese vintage stuff easily outperforms the desi stuff. That is why, the vintage stuff is still in demand and is selling at high prices.

how about you audition the srp series, its very impressive.

I'm getting to hear very bad reviews about Sonodyne's after sales support, which may be a reason why the dealers walked away.
Its a shame that speakers of such high quality have to go down the drain. I was interested in their PM series but now I am reluctant.
this could be a possibility, as even to find a dealer in bangalore for presale was a tough job.
can imagine the after sales.
in case anybody interested to audition the srp series they could contact a store by name cubiz on museum road, bangalore.
i am going to order the srp 205 in a few days, was surprised to see so many positive reviews of the same in gearslutz

they are there in the market but more into exporting outside.
after a lot of research i got to demo the srp 202 (srp 400) in bangalore.
they literally blew me away too!
planning on getting the bigger SRP 205 soon.
Hi Subhash, if it's possible to share location or address where you got a demo ,?? Thank you

Hi Subhash, if it's possible to share location or address where you got a demo ,?? Thank you

Hi Mahi
Theres a multibrand audio shop on museum road, just after stanley leather.
Its called Cubix.
They arranged SRP 202 for the demo.
Will msg you the number.
Thanks

The Home Cinema in Electronic City also deals with Sonodyne.
I believe they have Sonodyne Avant , Sonus, IWO series etc. in demo

Sonodyne is very good for Music. They are exporting to many countries, many well known studios are using Sonodyne studio monitor as per Sonodyne site.

Their SRT series is also very popular for dedicated home theater rooms with in-wall speakers. Competing products costs a lot more.

The Home Cinema in Electronic City also deals with Sonodyne.
I believe they have Sonodyne Avant , Sonus, IWO series etc. in demo

Sonodyne is very good for Music. They are exporting to many countries, many well known studios are using Sonodyne studio monitor as per Sonodyne site.

Their SRT series is also very popular for dedicated home theater rooms with in-wall speakers. Competing products costs a lot more.

Yes dont think anything can touch the SRP series at the price.

The SRP 202 & 205 are supposed to be the favourites.

Yes
SRP series is active speakers (Bi-Amped - inbuilt amplifier).
From 3" driver in SRP201 to 8" driver in SRP205

Placed an order for the SRP 205 today after auditioning the smaller 202 ,to which i was completely sold!
205 are the bigger versions of the 202.
Hopefully should have them with me in a weeks time.

Are those powered speakers? I was talking about amplifiers.

Yes as HTuser mentioned the srp series are class A/B biamplified powered studio/home monitors.
They also have the PA series & triamplified SA series monitors for home & studio

Pardon me if I sound weird or awkward, but for 65k I would any day go for a used Genelec or B&O. I have not heard the SRP 205, but I have heard the B&O Beolab 4000 and a Genelec active monitor (Don't remember the model) The B&O is fantastic and the Genelec is superb...... A friend of mine have both purchased for 35k and 48k respectively.

Yes the genelacs are amazing , have heard the entire G series (same as 8000 series).
Havent heard the B&O
But when it comes to VFM the SRP series wins.
Will be having a second set up with genelacs too as soon as i clear my older gear.

Yeah new Genelecs cost a lot. But if you can get a carefully used one for 45k, its a lot more value for money than the sonos, because these guys will last longer than the new SRPs and of course will sound much better.(Honestly, I think 65k is a bit on the higher side for a Sonodyne, taking into account the performance of the Sonodynes I have heard.) And you are going to get Genelecs as a 'second' system?:oops: So which is your primary set up?
First will set up the srp as it arrives.
& then once my old gear leaves hopefully will plan on the genelacs.
One will be for movies & music & the other mainly for music.
Only issue would be that both the systems will be in really bad rooms & how well an AvR would work as a pre.
Hoping for the best.
Will start a thread once the srp arrives.
Plz do visit anytime you are in bangalore we could have a good listening session.

Home theater store in electronic city ,bangalore ,has a good demo room for the sonodyne avant series.Visited them yday.
They are a multibrand shop.

Placed an order for the SRP 205 today after auditioning the smaller 202 ,to which i was completely sold!
205 are the bigger versions of the 202.
Hopefully should have them with me in a weeks time.

SRP 205 has arrived..
Will review soon...after a short listen one thing is for sure, never going back to passive speakers in this life time

I heard their SRT series many years ago at a What Hi Fi event in Bangalore and I was impressed. I'd go to the extent of saying that it was the best sounding multi channel set up at the event. It was playing in a really small room so that might have helped but the sound was superb. I was enjoying the system. That said, the speakers are huge. There is nothing compact about them.

For stereo, the Avant T1 was a revelation, driven by their own electronics. Totally different sound signature to the Sonus series which I did not care much for.

SRP 205 has arrived..
Will review soon...after a short listen one thing is for sure, never going back to passive speakers in this life time
Hi
Subhash
I am eagerly waiting for your review on your newly purchased gem, sonodyne SRP205. Back in my college days I paid a visit to one of my classmate's place and there listened Sonodyne urenus ,then much sought after TT and till date I can vividly remember the heavenly sound. Besides, I am also thinking about a decent pair of active speakers for my TT and sonodyne speakers will be good for me. Please do write how you enjoy SRP205.
Regards

Hi
Subhash
I am eagerly waiting for your review on your newly purchased gem, sonodyne SRP205. Back in my college days I paid a visit to one of my classmate's place and there listened Sonodyne urenus ,then much sought after TT and till date I can vividly remember the heavenly sound. Besides, I am also thinking about a decent pair of active speakers for my TT and sonodyne speakers will be good for me. Please do write how you enjoy SRP205.
Regards

Hi Bhaskar
At the moment listening to the 205 using the preouts of the marantz 6013.
The sound is pure addiction.

The marantz 6013 has only RCA outs, so am using an RCA to XLR cable, & music playing via the USB of marantz.
Will be switching over to a dedicated Dac/pre with XLR out before any further comments.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back