What Hi Fi show 2014 is announced

hi bhagwan,

if we are to stick to what hifi post and reports i suppose this thread wont see much action IMO. Most of what had to be said is said and pictures posted too.

The topic did go towards sales of these goods which are part of hifi show so i dont see why this is OT.

In any case.. nobody is trying to run anyone down. Please stop creating that impression and discard it ( if you think so ).

I thought the discussion proceeded on quite civil lines till now.

If the moderator thinks the discussion has gone off track they may delete all the posts and leave only the few that are relevant or delete altogether.

Do report the posts and the mods will swing by if needed.

best regards,
mpw

I also agree with Bhagwan's view that this is a thread about the Hi Fi show. One should enjoy and experience the hifi gear as not everybody gets a chance for the same.

It may not be appropriate to comment on the pricing but of course when the customs duty etc are low it feels like being fleeced off.:mad::sad:

Last edited:
Yes;
This is in Jaipur.
I have been there 3 times.
This is a 1M USD ++ Set Up !
Mr. Putin & his PM have the same [exact] set up - with the exception of the Digital Front End & the Company Person that visits this room states that the room in Jaipur plays better than those in Russia.

I am not supporting or negating any point that any FM is making - I am just filling in the 'blanks' that MPW has left.

I apologise for OT.
:sad:

Just for the sake of curiosity for an average bloke - what devices would such a system be comprised of? I just want to Google such equipment and see what they look like.

Just for the sake of curiosity for an average bloke - what devices would such a system be comprised of? I just want to Google such equipment and see what they look like.

Some Pics to explain what I had in mind :-

wgutzd.jpg

296gnwz.jpg

29lxkqg.jpg

rsydzl.jpg

There are lots like this;

Just to give you some idea...:licklips:

Yes;
This is in Jaipur.
I have been there 3 times.
This is a 1M USD ++ Set Up !
Mr. Putin & his PM have the same [exact] set up - with the exception of the Digital Front End & the Company Person that visits this room states that the room in Jaipur plays better than those in Russia.

I am not supporting or negating any point that any FM is making - I am just filling in the 'blanks' that MPW has left.

I apologise for OT.
:sad:
Is this the Daniel Hertz system? Very curious.

Also, the Steinway Lyngdorf was actually not outrageously marked up; maybe 20-30%. It's priced similarly in the West.

You are right and I think we did go OT..However no need to thank the dealers and be grateful sir as they were there to earn money and not exhibit their products for our pleasure....

How many times have you been thankful to your local sabziwala because he/she has got them from the mandi for you to touch and smell????
They were doing their job to earn money...why be grateful????

Dear FM's

I do not want to be mis understood;
But this Thread is about What Hi Fi Show.

We need to discuss the Show / Products / Sound etc.

Why do we get into Commercials ?
I do not understand this....

Let me give you an example;
In the lobby of the Leela @ Gurgaon was a White RR Car.
I Cannot Afford to buy it.
Maybe I will never sit in 1 [actually I have] - not important.
So if it costs 5CR or what ever - how does it matter ?

Why do we not just appreciate what we are seeing ?
Listening to & thank the D & D's for their efforts.

They come from different cities - all over India - carry their goods into Gurgaon / Take Rooms - Set the gear up - so that we can experience it.

We should be thankful.
We should make an effort to go & visit the show.
Meet people.
Listen to Music.
Talk about audio etc.

Why do we get into cost & commercials ?
How does it matter ?

Are we going to buy ?
The Steinway & Lyngdorf HT was @ 70 Lacs - even if the D & D gave it to us @ 50 % off - who amongst us will pay 35 lacs for it ?
So, this entire discussion about prices etc. is not appropriate in this thread.

Sure, we can talk about it - start a new thread & discuss it there.

Here we should discuss the show.
The Display
The Sound
The Experiences
etc.

Basically it was a 'celebration' for me at least.
Meeting like minded people.
Listening to so much audio gear - under 1 roof etc.

Gentlemen - Please;
Let us try and get +ve about this.

Spend time to listen to Music.
Appreciate Audio.

There is so much pleasure there to be had & derived from this hobby of ours.
Why do we run the efforts of others down ? Let us try and refrain from doing that. I request you.

Have a lovely day & a super week end - all of you !! :licklips:

Why do we get into commercials?

Ask the dealers if they would have even been there without hopes of sales.

Unfortunately, our hobby involves buying things. We cannot pretend that buying and selling is not a part of it.

It is very true that for those of us who can never ever buy multi-lakh components, the price really makes no difference and we can enjoy regardless, but it is not us those dealers go to the trouble and expense for, even though, being there, they may be decent human beings happy to share time.

Some Pics to explain what I had in mind :-

There are lots like this;

Just to give you some idea...:licklips:

WOW.

What beautiful setups. Some of the speakers look like UFOs. Typically in high end stereo setups like these, how are the spends allocated? 40% speakers, 20% amplification, 10% source, 10% transport? What are the ratios like? Have you heard some setups like these? Can you describe a few?

WOW.

What beautiful setups. Some of the speakers look like UFOs. Typically in high end stereo setups like these, how are the spends allocated?
40% speakers, 20% amplification, 10% source, 10% transport? What are the ratios like?

Have you heard some setups like these? Can you describe a few?

Spend Ratio's
This is a very contentious topic.
However, I personally feel the spend should be in this regards :-
Spend on the Room 1st [This is not taken into the maths & accounts] - so keep that amount out. It can be the most expensive component - so I will not get into it...
  • Speaker = 30 %
  • Pre & Power = 30 %
  • Source = 20 %
  • Cables & Power = 15 %
  • Tweaks / Misc = 5 %

God has been kind - totally thankful - have had a chance to visit a few places & have heard a small amount & yes the feeling / experience is electric.

:clapping:

Spend Ratio's
This is a very contentious topic.
However, I personally feel the spend should be in this regards :-
Spend on the Room 1st [This is not taken into the maths & accounts] - so keep that amount out. It can be the most expensive component - so I will not get into it...
  • Speaker = 30 %
  • Pre & Power = 30 %
  • Source = 20 %
  • Cables & Power = 15 %
  • Tweaks / Misc = 5 %

God has been kind - totally thankful - have had a chance to visit a few places & have heard a small amount & yes the feeling / experience is electric.

:clapping:
I fully agreed with Bhagwanji and panditji s post .though I am not a audiophile but it's important that we value and appreciate the effort taken . Unfortunately we never appreciate time .time = cost .we buy something and we feel service is free.it includes me.Arey aadmi to bhejna hai (just have to send the guy) what's bid deal in it.
My post hear to not to hurt anyone s feeling .but felt like posting after reading all the post.
Sorry in advance.

Last edited:
A trade show is as much about the state of the trade as anything else. Shrines are shrines, museums and art galleries are museums and art galleries; they are not about commerce. Hifi shows are.

But if anybody wants to say, "Thad, you're just envious you couldn't be there too..." they'd be right! :eek: :lol:

Interesting.

Who knows, one day I might buy something via crowd-funding. I'm not averse to different ways of buying/selling (I bought an ODAC).

Crowd-funding is a marketing man's dream. NwAvGuy would have had much less success had he tried to crowd-fund the ODAC. He's no marketing man, he probably offends more people than he draws in! You can't imagine him having called the ODAC something like the AwsomeODAC! Of course, it is not really a fair comparison, because NwAvGuy was never bothered about selling his ideas ---that got taken up by commercial builders and sellers, but NwAvGuy's anti-this, pro-that, outspoken blog probable remained the contact point for buyers.

Crowd-funding is a marketing man's dream. It requires hype. Nobody is going to send in their money for "a rather good DAC that we believe beats others at ten times the price." Nothing to stir people up there. Some of us might be attracted by the mystery, the wish to be the one to find the unknown-name giant killer, but most require a far more violent attack on the salivary glands before the wallet comes out.

So does this form of selling make the customer the king? It might, if the product is actually good, but the proof of that comes right at the end of the deal. This kind of selling makes Marketing Man the king.

(I wonder if posts on these topics could be hived off into a separate thread on industry futures?)

Crowd funding or direct to customers may become good alternative. One can take educated decision by taking part in discussion, before one commits. After all one does go for blind purchase or a Brand name or a recommendation. It may be same here. I guess in future one will have his/her say in product specification also.

After all one does go for blind purchase or a Brand name or a recommendation.

Yes, regularly. Many people buy on the basis of recommendation or reviews, which are only a kind of semi-anonymous (we may know the name, but not the author personally) recommendation --- but this assumes that the product is already out there, at the very least as pre-production samples.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back