What if, AVR (or) Hi-fi system had Android OS inbuilt?..

If you ask me and if manufacturers are listening, The best way to do it would be modular, where the Processing unit for this feature is an upgradeable option more like a RPI thats part of the system and docked as and when new hardware comes you just change that module.
This idea will going against the manufacturer. If the same device continues to evolve with new technology, as a customer we will slow down / stop our new purchase decision. This is impact the market. All devices are designed with limited shelf time in mind. That's why we see new models / face lifts every year.

If you ask me and if manufacturers are listening, The best way to do it would be modular, where the Processing unit for this feature is an upgradeable option more like a RPI thats part of the system and docked as and when new hardware comes you just change that module.

That is a bit greedy IMO:p.. If at all, we get Android with AVR, then for sure, the hardware wouldn't be a user up-gradable..

I have read abt custom ROM, and the most popular one Lineage OS (By XDA members).. Think there are one who provide OS updates & bug fixes from time to time.. If that is so, would be great to have Lineage OS (Android TV version) on AVR.. (or) something like Nvidia shield integrated in AVR..

That is a bit greedy IMO:p.. If at all, we get Android with AVR, then for sure, the hardware wouldn't be a user up-gradable..

I have read abt custom ROM, and the most popular one Lineage OS (By XDA members).. Think there are one who provide OS updates & bug fixes from time to time.. If that is so, would be great to have Lineage OS (Android TV version) on AVR.. (or) something like Nvidia shield integrated in AVR..

Well custom roms will always be made by enthusiasts and if the platform is modular more people would be inclined to develop for it.

This idea will going against the manufacturer. If the same device continues to evolve with new technology, as a customer we will slow down / stop our new purchase decision. This is impact the market. All devices are designed with limited shelf time in mind. That's why we see new models / face lifts every year.

correct but if you open a part modular upgrade path there can be new potential customers that will be enticed to the offer.

Why would I want this??
Then the AVR manufacturers will become like phone makers, broken promises for updates, inbuilt obsolescence, privacy issues...
I can buy a android dubba for 2-3k and connect to an avr. When OS gets obsolete, throw it and buy another. I cant do that with an AVR. I personally know of a lot of people that are using very old AVRs, without hdmi etc as the quality of parts of yesteryear's AVRs was way better. Think of an AVR with gingerbread android, most of the modern apps wont even run
Recently alexa speakers were caught recording and sending conversations, though accidently (as per the maker), even then, the scope for misuse is there.

Hey, there is a virus/Malware on my avr!! :p:p

I can buy a android dubba for 2-3k and connect to an avr. When OS gets obsolete, throw it and buy another. I cant do that with an AVR.
thats exactly the way i am doing it.

But in a world which was ideal the counter from me was having a modular update to only the Computing for Streaming like a mini pc was the ideal approach

Then the AVR manufacturers will become like phone makers, broken promises for updates, inbuilt obsolescence, privacy issues...
I can buy a android dubba for 2-3k and connect to an avr. When OS gets obsolete, throw it and buy another. I cant do that with an AVR. I personally know of a lot of people that are using very old AVRs, without hdmi etc as the quality of parts of yesteryear's AVRs was way better.

Hmm.. Though, modern AVR have the prowess of audio codec, it doesn't mean the older AVR can't do anything.. They still work like charm & justifies need for many..

In a similar fashion, agreed that the video capability has increased leaps & bounds.. But, 1080p will not go away in the next 5 years..It will still remain.. So, in that regard it this can just work..

Hey, there is a virus/Malware on my avr!! :p:p

That's a nice one :p..

That day is not far where we will see android inbuilt in avr's. The 4K boxes available these days are one palm sized pcb with processor n gpu on it. It could easily fit in the AVR as addon or the AVR board will be customized to accommodate them. Moreover mobiles phones are coming with 8gig ram and 256gb storage space, next on the list for avr's .

There are a lot of fundamental problems with this aaproach. One being that a silly update so that an icon looks better on the screen may brick the AVR. One more thing is that the android module may get fried inside the AVR given the heat that an AVR may generate as androids are delicate girls! I hooked up my android phone directly to my AVR and the sound was horrendous to say the least. Service centres will have a gala time to say the least. A module which hooks up to a port on the AVR may be better, so that the AVR may still be used if the module is fried. One advantage is that you can't drop the AVR just like an android phone. What about phone sim ability in this module?....... possibilities bare endless. Fantastic idea though.

There are a lot of fundamental problems with this aaproach. One being that a silly update so that an icon looks better on the screen may brick the AVR. One more thing is that the android module may get fried inside the AVR given the heat that an AVR may generate as androids are delicate girls!

Hmm.. Most members insist on timely updates & what if AVR bricks after an update.. Assuming one will not use social networking sites in these devices, then there wouldn't be a need for security updates (or) it can be limited to audio & video functionality alone..

There are always cons.. But the good thing is it would give phenomenal ability for users for both audio & video playback & streaming..

hooked up my android phone directly to my AVR and the sound was horrendous to say the least.

If you did via 3.5mm out from phone to RCA in to AVR, then it is limitation of DAC inside the android mobile..

But imagine, if your android mobile supports USB-OTG and the AVR accepted USB input from android phone, it hen makes it very simple..

Android phones with USB type-C gives digital out from mobiles phones.. What if the AVR had USB type-C port in it.. Integrating it is no big deal today..

One advantage is that you can't drop the AVR just like an android phone.

Ha ha.. good one..

What about phone sim ability in this module?

There isn't a need for SIM capability in AVR.. What we want is this - https://www.android.com/tv/ integrated with any hi-fi devices..

Given the streaming functionality & features have increased over time, would it be a good move for AVR manufacturers to integrate the Android TV interface to AVR, assuming streaming will be the future?..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back