What is your primary digital source/transport to Dac?

What is your primary source/ transport to DAC?

• Total voters

s_sachin

With the mysteries of digital source and transports , always wondered what others are using.

I am using PC with coax out of Juli@ soundcard to dac.

Last edited:
My basic answer to PC audio: if you have a decent sound card, you don't need another DAC.

So, analogue-out from internal/external interface ought to be a poll choice.

Mine, currently, is external: Firewire-connected Echo Audiofire2. It has a built-in headphone amp, which I want to explore improving on, but that's another story.

Also: wifi to Squeezebox with analogue-out to amp.

My basic answer to PC audio: if you have a decent sound card, you don't need another DAC.

So, analogue-out from internal/external interface ought to be a poll choice

Will you say that's something which holds true irrespective of the equipment down the chain?

Lets say my analog chain is fm acoustics pre + lamm hybrid monoblocks + 801 diamond.
(Its not, but I dream of something similar :rolleyes: )

Is a decent soundcard good enough for that?

On topic : sound card coaxial out - digital coax cable - DAC

Pc - firewire - prism orpheus - 3 way active
Wow! Do you record through this interface too?

Will you say that's something which holds true irrespective of the equipment down the chain?

It is the same whether one is talking about a CD player, a PC soundcard , or any form of "transport." If a stand-alone DAC is better than the built-in DAC, then, simply, it is better. The mistake is to assume that it must be better.

Take my two instances. I haven't tried, and don't really have cash to spend on hifi any longer, but...

Squeezebox Duet: could probably fairly easily be better through a stand-alone DAC.

Audiofire2: There will always be something better, but I would expect to have spend a lot more to improve on this one than to improve on the SB.

Laptop with itunes - Aiport Express -> SPDIF optical -> DAC -> Preamp -> AMP
CD player -> SPDIF RCA -> DAC -> Preamp -> AMP
PC --> USB DAC -> Preamp -> AMP
PC --> Xonar Essence ST -> Analog RCA out -> Preamp -> Amp

PC->USB (M2Tech Hiface) ->Coax ->Ayon CD-1s

Waiting for my new coax cable to arrive - WSS Platin RCA 1m

Last edited:
I know dozens of folks who are doing PC > USB DAC or PC > USB to Spdif assync converter / reclocker > Spdif DAC.

They swear by it.

Media player out --> spdif DAC is also a very popular method. There are many high end players available now.

Analogue out from a PC - Unknown territory for me.

Last edited:
PC -> Asus Xonar STX -> Coaxial Digital Out -> Coaxial Digital Cable -> Rega DAC

I too am a little surprised by the number of USB outs in this poll. Unless handled very carefully it is usually considered quite a compromise in audiophile terms, as i understand it. However there must be a lot of asynch Dacs around too. However, because of the ubiquitous laptop, I can understand that it has to be a popular method of delivering music.

I too am a little surprised by the number of USB outs in this poll. Unless handled very carefully it is usually considered quite a compromise in audiophile terms, as i understand it. However there must be a lot of asynch Dacs around too. However, because of the ubiquitous laptop, I can understand that it has to be a popular method of delivering music.

I am surprised too, even with asyn dac my experience has been better with coax. One thing for sure optical is not a favourite.

Folks can you also vote on the poll, in addition of your comment.

Hydra - please vote for PC coax . I am lonely there :)

NAS > Musical Fidelity M1 Clic / Linn Akurate DS > Preamp > .....

I don't use a seperate DAC since my players have good in built DAC.

Pro interfaces are using USB these days; probably it will supplant Firewire. USB1.0 used to give problems sometimes. Nothing wrong with optical either; if its not a favourite it is because people don't like the idea, not because of whether it works or not.

I know the opening post asked for transport --- but I wish people would mention what DAC they are connecting to :)

I know that the digital guru who built my amplifier (a German) has no issues with optical connections. However, I just prefered SPDIF coax and that too after experimenting with various cables, which strangely made more of a difference to the sound than any other interconnects have done in my system. That really surprised me !!
I understand that USB has become more popular, I just understood that there were some compromises - not sure if there has been any resolution ever on which is better though. I do know that when you get to high sampling rates then proper USB implementation is expensive and hard to find. I am not sure if there are issues with comparable jitter reduction also. To be fair, this critical analysis is in the realm of extremely high end hifi which may make the issue moot. Many of us just deliver compressed files to an outboard DAC in the most convenient form.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back