What makes an Excellent speaker ?

Aryan

Hi Guys,

This is a great place for all of us who r crazy about music, to get to know more about how we can enhance our listening pleasure.

But more often than not we always find something lacking in our speaker systems after we have bought it. Sound is not always up to the mark and that is why we end up in sites such as these or find ourselves ogling at speaker systems in Showrooms.

I know listening to a system is the best test but then there r other things to be considered as well, coz its those specifications that seperate a good speaker from ordinary one.

Please advise, what should one look in terms of specifications and all, to make sure that one gets EXCELLENT speakers. Just share any info. that u might have. I'd love to know coz I plan to buy stereo setup that rocks without rocking my pocket.

I hear terms like impedence, biwired, 2 way, 3 way speakers etc. I feel best speakers are those that can produce high, mid and low frequences.
Please share info so that all of us can benefit.

Thanks,
Aryan.

Last edited:
...and the quest for the ideal speaker continues.

SoundStage! Network Ultra Audio -- Archived Article

Cheers.

oh boy, this was very informative, in a way. thanks friend.
So the article says that it is virtually impossible to have ideal speaker. That is so true however even humans are not perfect but we strive for perfection. Similarly if we could have a close to ideal speaker specification that would be nice. Polonium made speaker forming a large sphere of plasma over 2'' spere is ideal speaker, WOW this is like breaking the most sophisticated code, but of no practicle use apparently.
Hey friend I really appreciate you sharing this article with me and I have got ur point.

Cheers,:)
Aryan.

...That is so true however even humans are not perfect but we strive for perfection. Similarly if we could have a close to ideal speaker specification that would be nice....

That article was just to ease the seriousness of the matter...glad you took it in the right way.

Last edited:
while you seem to have got the point that all speakers would sound different in one way or the other, pls note that a 3 way speaker is better at reproducing all the frequencies when compared to a 2 way speaker.
A 3 way speaker comprises of a woofer for handling low frequency, a midrange driver and a tweeter.
A 2 way speaker comprises of a mid-bass woofer which basically performs the function of handling both low and midrange frequencies and a tweeter for the high frequency.
A 3 way speaker has a wider frequency range handling capacity (especially in the low frequency / bass area) when compared to 2 way speakers. but at the same time a 3 way speaker is more likely to be bigger and costlier when compared to the 2 way.
3 way speakers generally come in the shape of towers while 2 ways generally come as bookshelves.
As for the performance, you will have to listen to various permutations and combinations of speakers and amps using the same audio source (of ur choice) to arrive at a conclusion.
It is a fact however that component stereo systems are costly in india because of the import duty and taxes levied on them, because most of it is imported. So many of the brands available are simply not affordable / economical.
Amps and speakers are manufactured by Norge and Sonodyne indigenously, of which norge is economical while compared to sonodyne.
There are other indian brands also,when it comes to speakers and amps, but their credibility and quality have not been established as yet.
Suggest you try out with Norge first (if they are available where u live) and try out other options as well.

All the best.
Raja

while you seem to have got the point that all speakers would sound different in one way or the other, pls note that a 3 way speaker is better at reproducing all the frequencies when compared to a 2 way speaker.
A 3 way speaker comprises of a woofer for handling low frequency, a midrange driver and a tweeter.
A 2 way speaker comprises of a mid-bass woofer which basically performs the function of handling both low and midrange frequencies and a tweeter for the high frequency.
A 3 way speaker has a wider frequency range handling capacity (especially in the low frequency / bass area) when compared to 2 way speakers. but at the same time a 3 way speaker is more likely to be bigger and costlier when compared to the 2 way.
3 way speakers generally come in the shape of towers while 2 ways generally come as bookshelves.
As for the performance, you will have to listen to various permutations and combinations of speakers and amps using the same audio source (of ur choice) to arrive at a conclusion.
It is a fact however that component stereo systems are costly in india because of the import duty and taxes levied on them, because most of it is imported. So many of the brands available are simply not affordable / economical.
Amps and speakers are manufactured by Norge and Sonodyne indigenously, of which norge is economical while compared to sonodyne.
There are other indian brands also,when it comes to speakers and amps, but their credibility and quality have not been established as yet.
Suggest you try out with Norge first (if they are available where u live) and try out other options as well.

All the best.
Raja

Hi Raja ,
This was good information n am sure it would help lot of other people in their quest for good speaker system in INDIA. Suggesting 2 Indian brands, makes it further better.

Thanks,
Aryan.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back