What should I buy to use these speakers?

amitjha

hello guys,
I have this old panasonic CD stereo system(model VK550). Info here

The system doesn't work anymore but the speakers are still good. So I am thinking of buying an amp to put these speakers to use. I want to be able to connect it to my DVD Player and PS3.
The problem is that I am a complete noob when it comes to these hi fi components. So don't really know where to start. So please tell me what I need to use these speakers.
Each speaker has 2 pair of wires at the back, one for tweeter and one for woofer.

The solution should be VFM and as low priced as possible with decent quality and product life. My usage will be movies(50%), music(40%) and games(10%).

Please help friends.
Thanks in advance to all those who take out time to respond.

P.S.:If anyone can suggest a good repair shop for the stereo here in delhi, that would be great.

Hi amit,

Try repairing the Stereo deck. If it doesn't work, get a used amp of about 50 w rms, they must be suiting your speakers. Scan the for sale thread in the forum, you might find one. Connect your DVD to the amp and you are done. As for the speakers crossover, try to fix it. Take the help of some DIY gurus in the forum.

N.Murali

Hi amit,

Try repairing the Stereo deck. If it doesn't work, get a used amp of about 50 w rms, they must be suiting your speakers. Scan the for sale thread in the forum, you might find one. Connect your DVD to the amp and you are done. As for the speakers crossover, try to fix it. Take the help of some DIY gurus in the forum.

N.Murali

get a topping or the likes

Thank you very much murali sir and magma for such prompt replies.:)

I tried getting it repaired but there aren't a lot of good repair shops that I know of in delhi.:( If a forum member from delhi could suggest a good shop that would be great.
I would prefer to buy a new amp if I can get it for 5-6k. Looking at the sales thread anyways. The manual for the stereo says "High Output Power with Bi-Amp System: 2500W (PMPO)/240W (RMS,10% T.H.D.)". So 50w rms amps would be sufficient, as it says 240w rms in specifications?

By crossover I guess you meant the connectors. They are like this only and they connect to the following port on the stereo

Will it be a problem attaching these speakers to an amp?

what are the basic models by topping and which other brands should I look at?

I guess I have asked a lot of questions for a single post. Please bear with my ignorance.:eek:

Many a times, these component systems go kaput on the CD,Tape or Radio section. Just check if the Aux connection is still working fine. To check this you can simply connect any media player (or mp3 player or laptop via the RCA line in to the system Aux in). If the system plays well then you can still use it by connecting your PS3 as your source and using the system as an amp. But if it doesn't then get ready for some expenditures.
For the case otherwise, would require a bit of tweaking with your existing speakers. Firstly, you need to purchase a 2 way crossover network and connect it the tweeter and mid range drivers. Then you need a connect a decent amp to drive this speaker.
Alternatively, you can choose to bi-amp your speaker, pushing your expenses a bit towards north. You need to buy two stereo amps, one a bit high powered (eg. Norge 2060) to drive the woofer and the other a bit low powered (eg. Topping T20) to drive the tweeters.

Don't worry, the innovative members of this forum will make your speakers sing again.:clapping:

Thanks Vivek for the info..
There's a problem with the firmware of the system itself. So I guess I'll have to buy an amp only. Could you please suggest which 2 way crossover and amp should I buy. My total budget is 10k.

Sorry guys for being inactive for almost a month. Had to travel a lot.

I tried finding Norge 2060 and Topping 20 but couldn't find it. Tried at Chroma, ezone etc. Please suggest some shops in delhi where I can find these amps.

Also, recently I was fiddling with the stereo system and noticed "6ohms" written below the speaker connectors. So will this effect the type of amp I should buy??

Thanks again to all those who take out time to reply.

You get contact info from norge website, if you finalized on on the model they ship it to your home.
Norge Audio

Thanks for the info.

I am still in doubt if i should go for 2 amps or one solution. Personally I would prefer a single amp, because of space constraints. Also, my speakers have 6ohms impedance but norge 2060 delivers 4ohms, so don't know if it'll be able to drive my speakers or not.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back