What speaker cable? Suggestions plz.

Mubeen

Hi guys,

I have been using Blue Jean speaker cable for quite sometime, though, recently i have come to realize that its causing the loss of some details, especially in higher frequency. Now my system already has warm sound signature. On top of that i am using WD 10.1 speakers, which also are warm sounding. This whole combination, with the cables, is becoming warm to an extent where the sound becomes muddy and lacks the energy it should have.

So my question is, which cable should i go for? I certainly do not need a warm sounding cable. On the contrary, some suggestions on neutral or even slightly brighter sounding cables are most welcome :)

Also, is there a good online seller in India for some good quality speaker cables? Please suggest.

Thanks!

its your speakers that are muddy, no amount of cable changing will help you with this. blue jeans cables are good enough.

its your speakers that are muddy, no amount of cable changing will help you with this. blue jeans cables are good enough.

That could be a valid point, but it did cross my mind and i have already checked to ensure that its not just the speakers! I have compared the BJ cable with another one i had at hand, and my observation is that the BJ cable does make the sound warm.

No doubt BJ is a good cable, and no doubt WD 10.1 are slightly muddy speakers :). Hey but they are not that bad either to completely shift the blame on speakers!

Well,try borrowing cables from other HFV members from Pune & then decide.
Chords are better one though.

depends on your budget, but any budget synergistic research cables are a very good choice.

They have alpha quad and av decor which are reasonably priced so you might want to check that.

Since your setup is too warm try cables which have silver in them to add a little sparkle.

Thanks longshanks. Most of their range looks pretty expensive, but Tesla Quad seems reasonably priced. Have you used any of their cables? Any idea how the quad might sound, doesnt seem to have silver in there though.

You can try supra speaker cables

Also VDH cables. The new distributor is from Pune and many say the pricing is much reasonable then before

VDH is also called "bland and dull". It will certainly not suit your requirement.

For a forward sound, the first cable that comes to mind is nordost. Nordost has other issues but being laid back or dull is definitely not among them.

If you have money to burn, you could look at ASI Liveline. However they will cost three times the cost of your speaker even if you buy used.

Last edited:
i dont remember where, but i read that a user said that after installing the BJ cables his "High" frequencies simply dis-appeared.

i'm also looking for a not too dull and not too bright... but a right in the middle kind of cable for my setup.

Thanks longshanks. Most of their range looks pretty expensive, but Tesla Quad seems reasonably priced. Have you used any of their cables? Any idea how the quad might sound, doesnt seem to have silver in there though.

Ive used the alpha quad and a couple of others which i cant remember, they most certainly are one of my favorite cable brands.The cables i use in my setup now are by nordost , i am yet to come across better cables than that:).

You should try cables by mogami, these can be bought online and are very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Ive used the alpha quad and a couple of others which i cant remember, they most certainly are one of my favorite cable brands.The cables i use in my setup now are by nordost , i am yet to come across better cables than that:).

You should are try cables by mogami, these cab be bought online and are very reasonably priced.

Mogami has a dealer in Mumbai, Andheri (W). Only issue is only one model (11 awg) is available

They have a reel and they will cut to the size you need

Hi guys,

I have been using Blue Jean speaker cable for quite sometime, though, recently i have come to realize that its causing the loss of some details, especially in higher frequency. Now my system already has warm sound signature. On top of that i am using WD 10.1 speakers, which also are warm sounding. This whole combination, with the cables, is becoming warm to an extent where the sound becomes muddy and lacks the energy it should have.

So my question is, which cable should i go for? I certainly do not need a warm sounding cable. On the contrary, some suggestions on neutral or even slightly brighter sounding cables are most welcome :)

Also, is there a good online seller in India for some good quality speaker cables? Please suggest.

Thanks!

You have to be absolutely sure that the cables are causing the warmth in the system. To me it seems like your components are part of the problem and would have a bigger impact on the sound signature.

Cables by themselves cannot make a warm system bright (read dynamic) or vice versa. In other words they cannot act like tone controls (and this is one of the primary reasons they were invented).

I would first look to see if you could change some of your components.

If you really, really think its the cables and wanna change then you could try DH Labs, Signal, Audioquest, Mon$ter as they tend to be bright.

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. It helps. I will take a look, and if possible, try Nordost and Mogami cables.

You have to be absolutely sure that the cables are causing the warmth in the system. To me it seems like your components are part of the problem and would have a bigger impact on the sound signature.

Cables by themselves cannot make a warm system bright (read dynamic) or vice versa. In other words they cannot act like tone controls (and this is one of the primary reasons they were invented).

I would first look to see if you could change some of your components.

If you really, really think its the cables and wanna change then you could try DH Labs, Signal, Audioquest, Mon$ter as they tend to be bright.

marsilians, i agree with you, to some extent. I am sure that its the cables. The DAC i use is never known to be warm or muddy, in fact its regarded as bright and forward sounding by some.

Electrocomaniet components do have a smooth and warm sound signature, but never at the expense of detail or definition. Never known to sound muddy or overly warm.

So i know that its not my components. Its the cable, and, the speaker to some extent. I have a feeling that using the right cable will solve the problem significantly. Down the line, i will be replacing the speakers anyway when i do find the right kind of speaker. The search is on.

I must say that I am not really a big believer in cable and similar stuff. After a point, it all becomes foo! But we all know that cables do make a difference due to their measurable properties such as capacitance, resistance etc. So i am not really looking to use cables as 'tone control' or component playing a key role in the sound signature of my system. I need a simple reasonably priced cable that does not suppress the high frequency. In other words, Neutral.

Aren't these two statements themselves conflicting :p

I used to feel that way as well but having used couple of cables myself, I can tell that cables do make difference.

Looked at the Chord Carnival Silver Screen ?

i dont remember where, but i read that a user said that after installing the BJ cables his "High" frequencies simply dis-appeared.

i'm also looking for a not too dull and not too bright... but a right in the middle kind of cable for my setup.

For me personally, the BJC interconnects and speaker Cables have worked wonderfully.

Aren't these two statements themselves conflicting :p

I used to feel that way as well but having used couple of cables myself, I can tell that cables do make difference.

Looked at the Chord Carnival Silver Screen ?

Its called a placebo :)

Try the cables from my signature...

Its called a placebo :)

Try the cables from my signature...

Dismissing the significance of cables completely by calling it 'placebo' would be denying the laws of physics and electronics i guess ;)

Cables definitely do not do miracles and wonders as some golder ear audiophiles and many reviewers profess and blabber about. But due to characteristics of metal and physical properties, they do affect the sound to some extent. This is something which can even be proven scientifically.

There is an interesting article on this. I am not able to find the link to the article at the moment, but just to summarize, it says that any cable made to standard specification using the standard pure copper will make no difference to the sound. Unless, intentionally altered. And thats the key! Hi-fi cables are intentionally altered (by manipulating the properties such as capacitance, resistance etc) to sound different. This is not what i say, i read it in an article written by some knowledgeable guy. So don't quote me on this :D

On the other hand, whatever rocks your boat mate. For some its ultra high end cables costing as much as an entire hi-fi system, where as for some, its basic run of the mill copper cables. Again, whatever rocks your boat :)

Last edited:
Dismissing the significance of cables completely by calling it 'placebo' would be denying the laws of physics and electronics i guess ;)

Cables definitely do not do miracles and wonders as some golder ear audiophiles and many reviewers profess and blabber about. But due to characteristics of metal and physical properties, they do affect the sound to some extent. This is something which can even be proven scientifically.

There is an interesting article on this. I am not able to find the link to the article at the moment, but just to summarize, it says that any cable made to standard specification using the standard pure copper will make to difference to the sound. Unless, intentionally altered. And thats the key! Hi-fi cables are intentionally altered (by manipulating the properties such as capacitance, resistance etc) to sound different. This is not what i say, i read it in an article written by some knowledgeable guy. So don't quote me on this :D

On the other hand, whatever rocks your boat mate. For some its ultra high end cables costing as much as an entire hi-fi system, where as for some, its basic run of the mill copper cables. Again, whatever rocks your boat :)

Hahaha, its good of you to get back with some good-natured banter on this, very controversial topic. No, I shouldn't actually dismiss good quality speaker cables as the placebo effect. That would be incorrect. But the placebo effect is surely there for those "ultra-high-priced" cables. Or well, thats what I believe. Its the case of the emperor's new clothes :)

No offense and yeah, whatever rocks your boat :eek:hyeah:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back