What speakers are outstanding value for money at 1 lakh these days..

square_wave

Hey everyone,

A friend is looking out for speakers in the 1 lakh budget. Standmounts or floorstanders. Looking for speakers which are outstanding value for money at this pricepoint.

Thanks..

Last edited:
How about KEF LS5 or Q900? I haven't heard either but there are plenty of great reviews for both. Also, their Indian prices are very close, if not less, than their US$ prices so you are not overpaying.

I would suggest MA Rx6 series (now its Silver 6 series). I found them really outstanding within the 1L mark when coupled with right amplification and source.

I have done long auditions with q900, R700 and ls50. And finally decided to buy ls50. Here is why. Ls50 is a much better speaker than the other two except that it does not have much below 80 hz. And flat frequency response is not the only criteria for speaker quality but it is an important one. The quality of sound and the clarity of sound are much better in ls50. The other disadvantage of ls50 is that it is not suitable for a very large room or very loud music. By large room I mean more that 4000 cubic feet. PEQ can fix FR so that it can go down to 50 hz. But if you need below that you will need to go to r700. By the way q900 is not really in the same league as r700.

Last edited:
I have done long auditions with q900, R700 and ls50. And finally decided to buy ls50. Here is why. Ls50 is a much better speaker than the other two except that it does not have much below 80 hz. And flat frequency response is not the only criteria for speaker quality but it is an important one. The quality of sound and the clarity of sound are much better in ls50. The other disadvantage of ls50 is that it is not suitable for a very large room or very loud music. By large room I mean more that 4000 cubic feet. PEQ can fix FR so that it can go down to 50 hz. But if you need below that you will need to go to r700. By the way q900 is not really in the same league as r700.

Apart from these , it costs more for the Quality Amplification and a good source . The LS50 is under a lac , however other components will soar high

True. But I heard them with a Yamaha RX-V800 and with rotel. To my ears the difference was minimal. The big difference was when you change speakers. While I bought ls50 others may prefer r700 for its full body sound. But clarity, transparency and imaging that you get with ls50, specially on vocals and Jazz, it is not possible to get with R700. One more point. If you ate buying it for music listening ls50 be a better choice since most music is above 50 hz. But if you plan to use with home theater or listen to electronic music bands, R700 may be better. Above all go listen yourself. Also insist on listening in a set up where you can change the speakers with an A/B switch with less than 5 sec of switch over time. You will be able to see the difference between speakers easily

Your comment about source is important as well. Unfortunately most of my Indian music is of poor recording quality except for Jagjit singh and AR Rehman stuff. So if you like old bollywood songs, the speaker quality may not make any difference.

Hi square wave

The older PSB Synchrony 2B bookshelves are very nice. They are discontinued. However there is a pair available at Lakozy Mumbai. It should be less than a lakh.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back