What stabilizer

I am getting APC 550VA for Rs.1900 and APC 1100VA for Rs.4650.

Should I buy APC550 for everything except Onkyo or should I buy APC1100VA for everything including Onkyo ?

Will 1100 VA will be sufficient for all my equpments?

Thanks.

I have a 46" Samsung LCD.

Have 100% power backup in my apartment through gensets. So, if the power goes or comes back, there is disconnection of 20 seconds / 5 seconds respectively.

Can I use normal MicroTek UPSs (Rs.1700/-) for these as I do not need much back up time ? (Only for TV)

Also, if I need to put all my equipments (46" LCD/Media Player/1TB Hard Disk/Onkyo S590/Tata Sky/DVD Player) on a UPS. What capacity and what brand should I look for?

Thanks.

I paid Rs2100, 1.5 yrs back. It's a 600VA. I have my TV, DVD player and WDTV connected to this.

Hi SBT - thanks for the information. could you please let me know which one are you using, does it have a model name in V-Guard (60 Royal, 70 Vismaya Plus)?

Also - Have you got a chance to keep it (UPS) running without input Voltage supply (no generator backup in your flat!!) - if so, for how long did it stay while TV was switched on?

All - is this a feasible option - ie - getting a V-Guard UPS or getting a V-Guard stabilizer for LCD+STB+DVD = which is a good option?

Please advice, Thanks in advance to all

Hi SBT - thanks for the information. could you please let me know which one are you using, does it have a model name in V-Guard (60 Royal, 70 Vismaya Plus)?

Also - Have you got a chance to keep it (UPS) running without input Voltage supply (no generator backup in your flat!!) - if so, for how long did it stay while TV was switched on?

All - is this a feasible option - ie - getting a V-Guard UPS or getting a V-Guard stabilizer for LCD+STB+DVD = which is a good option?

Please advice, Thanks in advance to all

For lcds tvs you are fine with Vguard 2A capacity like VG crystal,which can take a load of about 440watts to 460watts.But if its a plasma you might need higher capcity ones.
Now the APC UPS voltage correction say like my smart series boosts voltage only if the voltage goes below 200 and trims if it goes around 250watts.
They say it can be customized by APC engineer.but beyond a certain voltage it can't trim or boost,it will simply power it from battery.

The V-guard stabilizer on the other hand can operate from as low as 140v to 283 or 290v its based on a IGBT.the ouput voltage never crosses 240v even when the input is 285+.

And low cost APC ups or any other make don't ouput pure sinewave.

Thanks very much Adder. I guess so far, out of my research and public opinion, I am planning to settle for a V-Guard VG Crystal Digital Stabilizer.

Thanks once again, will post some reviews after first month usage

Guys,
since a V gaurd stabilizer costs about 2.9k, can i use a microtek 800VA UPS to connect my LCD TV and other audio equipments? The UPS would cost around 3.5k, does voltage regulation and also give me some backup.

Will there be any flickering or any other problem if i do this?

Also recommend if this is safe for a refrigerator.

Guys,
since a V gaurd stabilizer costs about 2.9k, can i use a microtek 800VA UPS to connect my LCD TV and other audio equipments? The UPS would cost around 3.5k, does voltage regulation and also give me some backup.

Well in UPS i would go with a APC.
as far as voltage protection the V-guard can accept a wide range of voltage.where as the UPS typically only starts AVR only when the voltage goes above 250+ or below 200v.

For lcds tvs you are fine with Vguard 2A capacity like VG crystal,which can take a load of about 440watts to 460watts.But if its a plasma you might need higher capcity ones.

I am curious on how you calculate the load a stabilizer/UPS can take. The TV(or any electronic product) would give the required power in watt(W). How do I translate it into the capacity of a stabilizer or an UPS?
Stabilizers mention the capacity in Amps(?) while UPS mention them as Volt-Amp(VA). :(

Though APC site mentions the capacity in their website, I have not seen it in VG :(

The plasma TV(50") I am about to buy has a rating of 460W on its box. I would be adding an AVR, DTH and a streamer. What UPS/Stabilizer would you recommend?
Will it have further room for a gaming console?

Based on your above recommendation, I feel I must go to DIGI-100. Please help.

Another question. If I install an UPS for the home, will the Stabilizer become useless? i.e. Will the UPS stabilize the power even when it is on main? I read your other comment about APC UPS stating so and I too had one for my PC.

I am curious on how you calculate the load a stabilizer/UPS can take. The TV(or any electronic product) would give the required power in watt(W). How do I translate it into the capacity of a stabilizer or an UPS?
Stabilizers mention the capacity in Amps(?) while UPS mention them as Volt-Amp(VA). :(

Though APC site mentions the capacity in their website, I have not seen it in VG :(

The plasma TV(50") I am about to buy has a rating of 460W on its box. I would be adding an AVR, DTH and a streamer. What UPS/Stabilizer would you recommend?
Will it have further room for a gaming console?

Based on your above recommendation, I feel I must go to DIGI-100. Please help.

Another question. If I install an UPS for the home, will the Stabilizer become useless? i.e. Will the UPS stabilize the power even when it is on main? I read your other comment about APC UPS stating so and I too had one for my PC.

Well you will need to go with specs,the VA of one company isn't the same as other since they have different PF.
Well for a plasma UPS isn't recommend,unless its one of the pure sinewave models of high capacity.
So get a stabilzer like the digi 200 which takes a load of around 1250watts max,which should be enough,for your gaming console ,avr,stb,xstreamer .unless of course the AVR and speaker are of high watts and at high volume and you run all the devices at the same time.

Guys,

UPS with PURE SINEWAVE Output, should only be used for LCD TV or any other audio equipment.

V-guard stabilizer will be good enough for both LCD TV and refrigerator.

A pure sinewave LINE INTERACTIVE UPS=BETTER OPTION and a pure sine wave ONLINE UPS=BEST OPTION( Just incase u want to have some power backup, b'coz a stabilizer have none).

For Line interactive prefer APC and for ONLINE prefer LIEBERT.

A general rule:wattage of stabilizer/ups etc= 2 x the total sum of wattage of all equipment u want to use.

If total wattage of system/equipment is 500w, then stabilizer wattage required= 2x500w=1000w=1kw=1400VA considering a power factor of 0.7 (Watts = VA x power factor, or,
VA = watts / power factor)

UPS with PURE SINEWAVE Output, should only be used for LCD TV or any other audio equipment.

V-guard stabilizer will be good enough for both LCD TV and refrigerator.

A pure sinewave LINE INTERACTIVE UPS=BETTER OPTION and a pure sine wave ONLINE UPS=BEST OPTION( Just incase u want to have some power backup, b'coz a stabilizer have none).

For Line interactive prefer APC and for ONLINE prefer LIEBERT.

A general rule:wattage of stabilizer/ups etc= 2 x the total sum of wattage of all equipment u want to use.

If total wattage of system/equipment is 500w, then stabilizer wattage required= 2x500w=1000w=1kw=1400VA considering a power factor of 0.7 (Watts = VA x power factor, or,
VA = watts / power factor)

What type and brand of UPS/Stabilizer would be required for a home computer or laptop? What about options that cover the full home? I have a MCB cut off unit, but that operates only in extreme conditions.

What type and brand of UPS/Stabilizer would be required for a home computer or laptop? What about options that cover the full home? I have a MCB cut off unit, but that operates only in extreme conditions.

A desktop computer/laptop require proper shutdown.

Stabilizer is a BIG NO for both.

APC is the preferred brand and simple "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" UPS will be enough.

Thanx mate....btw, just called up a dealer and he is insisting to get VG Crystal saying thats what they give to all customers of LCD/Plasma.Which of the 2 is better?

Well i myself have a VG crystal model its good for 42" size plasmas but not 50" and above.
So best to go for atleast Digi 100.Thats the first time i am hearing about the Vg crystal plus.If it has more capacity you can go for that too.
The reason why you see v-guard recommending the VG crystal model for lcds/plasma is that output voltage won't cross the 240v mark,where as the digi series can give upto 250v which is higher then the normal operating voltage.
But since you have a 50" plasma you will be stretching Vg crystal stabilizer to it max.

Hi guys. Will be getting the Panasonic 42V20D this week.
I already have an APC 800VA Inverter at home so i guess i wouldnot need a stabilizer but what if there is a power cut while im watching the TV. Can my inverter run this Plasma without any issues?

I already have an APC 800VA Inverter at home so i guess i wouldnot need a stabilizer but what if there is a power cut while im watching the TV. Can my inverter run this Plasma without any issues?

800va in reality will give you 540 - 600 watts output and your plasma may require only 330 - 350 (peak power consumption) . So it can run fine :) provided you balance by turning off the unwanted lights / fans other electrical items that take load from your inverter.

Your inverter doesn't do any kind of auto voltage regulation,more over it gives a square wave output.
Only a UPS or stabilizer will do AVR .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back