What stabilizer

I would recommend a 2KVA servo stabilizer for your use but it is costly. I was quoted around 10K for a 2KVA stabilizer that supports 160-270V range and 12.5K for 120-270V range. If your place has no severe voltage fluctuations, you can go for the vguard model.

The V-guard models handle from 120v to 290v.So if the voltage in your area is more then the normal operating voltage of the servo stabilizer i would stick with the cheaper V-guard which will ensure that the output voltage won't cross the 240v mark.

Thanks guys. Voltage fluctuations is zilch at my place actually nil would be appropriate. Called up Modern World,they recommended the vguard crystal plus and said that it would be more than enough for the setup.
Doesn't cost an arm and a leg,sells for about 2900/- INR . I will take a call today based on your responses.

@rj,

Sridhar-V has recommended some solution for the voltage fluctuations. Please check his threads before you go in for a v-guard purchase.

Had a couple of questions:
1. Can servo stabilizers protect against power surges or is there need for a surge protection socket?

2. Can I connect a servo stabilizer to the input of a UPS, i.e. main line -> servo stab (2kVA) -> ups (1.4kVA) -> equipment?

3. Can it be something as extreme as:
main line -> surge protection socket -> servo stabilizer -> ups -> equipment?

HI guys,

Me too facing same issue in Bangalore, here voltage fluctuations are more. I had my HT Onkyo 609 with LCD plugged in. I bought Vguard VG50 stabilizer which is 0.5kva where my HT guy told me i should use only servo stabiliser which I know will cost me a bomb.

My Onkyo AVR is rated at 640W. Where as Vguard is at 0.5kva. I'm using spike buster so that I can get few more sockets to connect my LCD, STB, sub woofer, DVD player. I have looked at Vguard crystal plus, but I don't know will it be safe to handle this load and what is the rating of V-guard crystal plus?

Thanks guys. Voltage fluctuations is zilch at my place actually nil would be appropriate. Called up Modern World,they recommended the vguard crystal plus and said that it would be more than enough for the setup.
Doesn't cost an arm and a leg,sells for about 2900/- INR . I will take a call today based on your responses.

Had a couple of questions:
3. Can it be something as extreme as:
main line -> surge protection socket -> servo stabilizer -> ups -> equipment?

Better would be main line > servo > ups > surge protector > equipment

Well I have my reservations regarding stabs as one my colleagues used a stab and his Tata Sky HD box and his Plasma TV blew up and had to be replaced/repaired.

Last edited:
HI guys,

Me too facing same issue in Bangalore, here voltage fluctuations are more. I had my HT Onkyo 609 with LCD plugged in. I bought Vguard VG50 stabilizer which is 0.5kva where my HT guy told me i should use only servo stabiliser which I know will cost me a bomb.

My Onkyo AVR is rated at 640W. Where as Vguard is at 0.5kva. I'm using spike buster so that I can get few more sockets to connect my LCD, STB, sub woofer, DVD player. I have looked at Vguard crystal plus, but I don't know will it be safe to handle this load and what is the rating of V-guard crystal plus?

can I go for Vguard Digi 200 which is 1320 watts rating?

After reading all the horror stories i badly need to buy a Stabilizer as soon as possible.
AV setup- 40inch Sony LCD, TATASKY, Philips DVD, Philips HTIB. PS3
I have my AV setup running at the mercy of a spike guard bought for Rs.300

I am looking for the best i can get in the budget of Rs3000 max.

Vguard crystal (Wall mount) Rs2300
Vguard crystal plus (wall and floor ) Rs2700
Vguard DIGI 100 Rs3100

My knowledge on this is pathetic.
should i need to go for something better than these.
I am from chennai, so it would be great if someone can let me know of a shop where i wont get ripped like the present one i am associating with.
Thanks

You should have gone for Digi 100 or 200, who suggested you a 0.5va stab for a 640 watt AVR.:mad:

You can also thinking of buying a good online UPS system.

Better would be main line > servo > ups > surge protector > equipment

Well I have my reservations regarding stabs as one my colleagues used a stab and his Tata Sky HD box and his Plasma TV blew up and had to be replaced/repaired.

hi,

Any good brand of stabilizer u buy,but make sure that u test the input voltage to the sabilizer and the output of the stabilizer by using a multi meter,also see for a output variation if any. Some times the out put fluctuation will be very high in that case the purpose of a stabilizer becomes useless. thats the reason this clever stabilizer companies don't keep a volt meter on the stabilizer!! simply there will be 2 LED s. there should be a display of input & output voltage then only u know what the exact output voltage will be. I once connected a stabilizer to my pc ups and the ups burnt. I had a doubt & when I accidently checked the out put of the v guard stabilizer, constantly it was giving a output of 270V!!. so If one can get a stabilizer with a digital or analog display of output voltage it will be a real advantage.

What ever be the brand you use, connect it to a spike buster which will have a fuse and which will burnout if high current pass through.

its like, 220V mains (with 3/4/5A fuse) connected to Vguard digi 200 stabiliser connected to spike buster connected to load. Some pricy spike busters will come with voltmeter.

Also, current consumption will be more when equipment is used at high volumes.

hi,

Any good brand of stabilizer u buy,but make sure that u test the input voltage to the sabilizer and the output of the stabilizer by using a multi meter,also see for a output variation if any. Some times the out put fluctuation will be very high in that case the purpose of a stabilizer becomes useless. thats the reason this clever stabilizer companies don't keep a volt meter on the stabilizer!! simply there will be 2 LED s. there should be a display of input & output voltage then only u know what the exact output voltage will be. I once connected a stabilizer to my pc ups and the ups burnt. I had a doubt & when I accidently checked the out put of the v guard stabilizer, constantly it was giving a output of 270V!!. so If one can get a stabilizer with a digital or analog display of output voltage it will be a real advantage.

I thought he mistyped volumes for voltage. Now I get it. He was referring to amp volume. As Amp volume increases, more current has to be drawn.

Edit - I bought a 5KVA servo (vide range 110-270) to power my house. Now the voltage is steady. Denon amp will shut down if the voltage falls below 150V. With servo it is rare.

Last edited:
Crystal plus will be more than sufficient for 43inch plasma. Using it for 51inch plasma
You can also connect D2H and Bluray/DVD player as it is a 3A capacity model. Please check locally it may be available cheaper as v-guard has a good sales network all over india.

It will be good if you add a belkin surge protector with the stabilizer.

i have a 43 inch plasma samsung 43h4900... want to buy a stablizer for this summer for frequent voltage fluctuation in my area.... pls suggest one. if possible provide a link from where i can buy online.....

I came across this one....will it be suffice for my tv
V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer Price in India - Buy V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer Online at Flipkart.com

I have had v-guard burn out on quite a few occasions . Once , it came DOA . I prefer everest or premier than vguard .
But coming to the point of spending 1500-2000 on a stabiliser , I recommend a UPS of 1kva rather for the TV . UPS has a wider AVR -typically 180-280v which is lacking in most of the basic stabilisers

Recently I'd visited V-Guard's Trivandrum service center and checked more than 5 popular models. I noticed one important thing ie, 200v - 230v is constant.
I'll explain '' If your line volt 200-225 automatically stabilizer output will be same (200v - 225v). '' But your line volt is 199 output will be 225-227v. Again input level is 240v stabilizer output will be 227v.''

If you're facing any voltage fluctuation please add a stabilizer, otherwise no usage...

Back