What to Buy - Vintage Amplifier OR Modern Day Amplifier

shankyys

Hello

I would like to get myself clarified whether its prudent to buy a Vintage Amplifier (say like Sansui D7, 717,919 etc) or a Modern day Integrated Amplifier like (Marantz PM 8005 / Cambridge Audio CXA81).
I listen to mainly Bollywood stuff (Hindi) between 70s & 90s & also Ghazals,and listen to both Vinyls & CDs.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Shanky

Hello

I would like to get myself clarified whether its prudent to buy a Vintage Amplifier (say like Sansui D7, 717,919 etc) or a Modern day Integrated Amplifier like (Marantz PM 8005 / Cambridge Audio CXA81).
I listen to mainly Bollywood stuff (Hindi) between 70s & 90s & also Ghazals,and listen to both Vinyls & CDs.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Shanky

Hi

That is a very loaded question and there is no definite answer to it.

Have you listened to the vintage and modern amps that you have listed or do you have idea of the sound of the amps you have listed? I may like vintage amps and my answer would be biased by that fact or it may be the other way round. The answers may confuse you further.

IMHO, vintage amps unless restored, would be prone to breakdown sooner or later. Also, the asking price in India is very high. If you do not have any idea of how they sound, please dont buy just because you have read great things about them. Also the vintage amplifiers will lack modern functions such as remote control and so on.

I would advise you to please audition some modern amps and see if you like the sound. If it does not cut it for you or the amps are out of your price range, visit some dealers who sell vintage amps and audition them (and ask here) before deciding.

If you really want vintage amps, look for restored amps on international sites. Ask questions regarding the restoration and when you are satisfied then buy. Remember to factor import duty @ 50% of the cost of the amp plus courier charges .

Lastly, if you think would be able to restore a vintage amp, then you can buy unrestored pieces in India if you lay your hands at low prices. My experience is that most of the vintage amps circulating in India are in pathetic condition and not worth the price they are commanding.

Regards.

Hi
Shankyys
Vintage route is a difficult one because it demands one's DIY and also technical knowledge ( both of which I don't have :D ). If you have the time to spend then you can go along this route , otherwise as friend kbhuvi has suggested, get a decent modern day amp and enjoy music. Another thing is, audition before buying any rig. Even it some times happens that the rig you have liked at the dealer's place sounds horrible in your room. Before buying please consider these facts. I am no expert but would like to convey my humble opinion.
Cheers
Bhaskar

Hello

Please suggest.

Regards,
Shanky

Vintage Heavy amplifiers would be nice....as long as you are able to fix it when it gets bad...spares are not easy and are expensive!

Modern day amps, very few cater to provide the audiophile or old listening experience......if it is music then the Denon PMA series....1500 is ideal or Marantz Reference series or their higher models. Cambridge Audio is also good....Azur series....

You need also to have good speakers which is meant for handling different kinds of music....a 3 way design is best suited .....most modern speakers of nowadays are computer designed and are more tailored towards Home Theatre use...very few are musical inclined like Bose Bookshelf speakers, Definitive Technology SM series etc etc.

Audition where possible and take a call....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back