what to choose ..51 inches 720p or 1080p by samsung

pranav0234

hey guys as i am interested in buying a plasma and as most brands have stopped producing plasma tv i am left with lg and Samsung only but as i didn't like lg plasma at all therefore i am planning to buy Samsung plasma tv
and had a few questions about that
i have shortlisted 3 models
1)Samsung 51H4900 51 inches Plasma TV (HD Ready)
2)Samsung 51F5500 51 inches Plasma TV (Full HD)
3)Samsung 43H4900 43 inches Plasma TV (HD Ready)

i am preferring to go for 51h4900 but the only problem with it is the picture quality as its not full hd and is 51 inches will it be a good buy (getting for 60k without bargain| will get for 3k cheaper atleast ) and will be using with airtel iptv service

if buying a 51 inches and 720p is a no brainer then should i go for 43h4900 as i would save alot of cash (after bargain 38500) so around 20k savings too

or the only option i got is too increase my budget and get the 51f5500 model
thankyou very much for reading and helping me out
i do need expertise help as i dont know how bad is 51 inches with hd ready

HD Ready resolution (720p) might not look well on a 51 incher. If you are not over critical about the picture quality then you could go for it. Play some HD content on the plasma which you are considering in the showroom and see if you can make do with the 720p resolution. If possible go for the 1080p model because it will be way better in terms of picture quality. why don't you consider LCDs from brands like Toshiba? you'll get a 46inch LCD for around 60k with full HD. scout for more options, don't take a hasty decision.

Last edited:
For a 60K budget, you can look at LG 50PB6600 Plasma with Full HD display... Any specific reason that you don't like LG plasma's ?

No doubt that Samsung 51F5500 is a great TV for the price.....

At 10 feet distance, it will hard to distinguish HD vs FHD content

i have a Panasonic 50 inches hd ready at home and i never faced problem with quality maybe as i havent seen a full hd tv playing hd content or maybe there isnt much difference
1)but as of in mobile phone switching from my note 2 720p screen to iPhone 1080p full hd screen i know the difference in phones and i do love full hd screen (this could be irrelevant in terms of TVs but i have no idea )
2) i read somewhere that the 1080p screen is useless below 43 inch display (almost negligible difference in pq ) but if u r going for a 50 inch panel u must get full hd and u should not buy 720p even if u watch sd quality
3)in plasma it doesnt matter if the panel is 720p or 1080p

are any of these points above true ?

+1 for Samsung 51F5500
Samsung 51inch plasma is one of the best TVs in its price point. An absolute value for money! No brainer IMHO. If u can stretch the budget a bit, it'll definitely be one of the best decisions for you. But please take care you don't have any direct light source infront of your TV. Panel can be reflective at times. If your room is bright with lot of windows I would suggest you take a look at LEDs.

Last edited:
A word of side ways advice.....

True HD is 1920 pixels ( dots) x 1080 pixels ( dots) ie a total of approx 2 million Dots.

Similarly HD 'Ready" is 1280 x 720 = 0.9 Milllion Dots.

The BIG issue is that these number of Dots remains the same Irrespective of yr screen size !

A larger screen therefore just has larger and more fuzzy dots than a smaller screen.

Since you are looking for a Large - 51 inch screen, it seems almost imperative that you get the max number of dots, to get a Good large Picture !

Price should takke a back seat for large screens.

Alternately, if budget is a constraint, you should probably look at a smaller screen ....

Just my 2 cents ...;)

What is the viewing distance?
If it is greater than 10 feet, 720p is ok for 51" if it is less than 10 feet, go for 43".

43" is absolutely fine for 720p TV.

51H4900 is a great TV but wont be as good as the 51F5500 which is a star. The difference between the TVs goes more than just the resolution. If you have the funds or are going with EMI, get the 51F5500.

If you have a window opposite to the TV location, avoid ALL three and look for LEDs.

wow! m glad to see so many people helping me out !
as every1 was asking whats the viewing distance so it would be around 10 feet as i would be using it in my bedroom
so as of now m planning to keep the 51F5500 at the no 1 position but as there is a budget constrain therefor
as suggested by elangoas i am adding LG 50PB6600 Plasma with Full HD display to the list
now if i cant spend more then which feature should i miss full hd or 3d tv ??
(full hd would be lg 50pb6600 & 3d would be Samsung 51H4900 )
and btw 43 inches is as the last option for me and the only + point for it is the value for money and the 20k saving on it
btw ty so much all for ur opinions !!

wow! m glad to see so many people helping me out !
as every1 was asking whats the viewing distance so it would be around 10 feet as i would be using it in my bedroom
so as of now m planning to keep the 51F5500 at the no 1 position but as there is a budget constrain therefor
as suggested by elangoas i am adding LG 50PB6600 Plasma with Full HD display to the list
now if i cant spend more then which feature should i miss full hd or 3d tv ??
(full hd would be lg 50pb6600 & 3d would be Samsung 51H4900 )
and btw 43 inches is as the last option for me and the only + point for it is the value for money and the 20k saving on it
btw ty so much all for ur opinions !!

OK.. Easy enough question. Give 3d TV a miss and go for full HD. If money is constraint then the best option would be to look for a 43inch Samsung or 42inch Panasonic as these are two companies with better plasma panels. Better blacks and color reproduction. No offense to LG but they have a great LED technology and their passive 3D technology is unrivaled but they don't have that many good plasma panels IMHO.

Full HD >>>> 3D
because you won't be watching many 3D movies. 3D content is costly and even if you are thinking of downloading then also the huge file sizes will be a hindrance. We still don't have 3D tv channels so the feature will remain almost unused. you will get the LG model for lesser price than the Samsung one which will save money for extended warranty as an added bonus.

Last edited:
+1 for Samsung 51F5500 51 inches Plasma TV

strongly suggest to stretch budget, will be well worth the investment :) It is one of the BEST plasma tv's in the market.

You are doing a big mistake. Ask elangoas if he owns an LG plasma and is happy with it. The answer will be mostly a no.

If you are looking at plasmas, I would assume your foremost requirements are black levels and color reproduction. While color reproducition is ok (though not in the league of Panasonic let alone Samsung), black levels or LG plasmas are poorer than sony and Samsung LEDs even. You cannot gauge this in the showroom with full lights and the moment you connect it in your house, you will be disappointed.

LG lives in their own sweet reality with IPS panels and plasmas having poor black levels and are amoung the only manufacturers who have plasmas with poor blacks than the LEDs. I fail to understand the purpose of them making plasmas in the first place. It can be none other than "me too" syndrome.

I have purchased LG plasma, shocked at the black levels in night and sold then off and got 2 Samsungs and Panasonic and am really happy with the performance.

FYI, Even 51H4900 is better than any higher end (!!) LG plasmas out there.

If black level is not your concern, get the LED instead. LG plasmas are in no man's land really and just sell by placing them near to Samsung and Panasonic plasmas in bright showrooms.

You are doing a big mistake. Ask elangoas if he owns an LG plasma and is happy with it. The answer will be mostly a no.

Hi Blasto,

I don't own an LG Plasma..But my brother owns one.. Not sure abt the model it is 42PQ but an HD ready model...I own Sony46CX520 LCD FHD TV, the picture quality on the LG plasma in far better than my Sony LCD...

I have also seen Samsung Plasma models 4900 series & 5500 series....Yes they are good... Am yet to check the LG 50PB600... But have checked LG 42PN4500 series....They are good.....Am not sure if they have poor black levels....

LG 42PN4500 Plasma have dark black screen than Samsung 43H4900 Plasma which is grey..Of the Samsung Plasma, only 64F8500 screen looks dark black

If i were to choose a 50 inch plasma for 60K, it will be LG 50PB6600 plasma than Samsung 51H4900 because it has FHD Display & 3 HDMI inputs...I would give a miss to 3D....

Hi Blasto,

I don't own an LG Plasma..But my brother owns one.. Not sure abt the model it is 42PQ but an HD ready model...I own Sony46CX520 LCD FHD TV, the picture quality on the LG plasma in far better than my Sony LCD...

I have also seen Samsung Plasma models 4900 series & 5500 series....Yes they are good... Am yet to check the LG 50PB600... But have checked LG 42PN4500 series....They are good.....Am not sure if they have poor black levels....

LG 42PN4500 Plasma have dark black screen than Samsung 43H4900 Plasma which is grey..Of the Samsung Plasma, only 64F8500 screen looks dark black

If i were to choose a 50 inch plasma for 60K, it will be LG 50PB6600 plasma than Samsung 51H4900 because it has FHD Display & 3 HDMI inputs...I would give a miss to 3D....

The model I had and replaced was the 42PQ60. Poor black levels and dimmer screen considering plasma black levels. I replaced it with 42B450 samsung plasma. I had posted side by side pictures too sometime back. It had much higher brightness and black levels. Colours were an entirely different story and Samsung was ACE in color reproduction. Ofcourse I have upgraded to 50VT20 and eventually to 64F8500 which are much better.

Ofcourse 3D is a waste of money and FHD is required for 50+ inches in a bedroom setup where the viewing distance is small. I also agree that I have stopped looking at the LG plasmas at that time and they may have improved over time but so is Samsung and Panasonics too. And I don't even know about the TV in question PB6600. But DNA is same and it will be a wonder if the PB6600 would triumph the F5500.

And I concur that ANY plasma in the same price range will triumph ANY LED in the same or close price range and even gives a bigger screen.

And yes, only the Samsung H5000 comes with the anti glare screen of the F8500 but it is still not released in India and comes only in 64". Given the options though and given the bedroom location, It might not be required.

Also, thinking F5500 as PB6600 + 3D is wrong. Even without 3D, the F5500 has much better picture. I recommend you visit any FMs houses and demo yourself if you are indeed planning for a plasma.

Also, since you have access to your friend's LG plasma, check it in the night and write your observations here.

as many people are saying no to lg plasma and as i didnt like the lg plasma at the first look therefor i am giving lg plasma a miss btw the reviews made lg tv looked lucrative
so here m i with a tight budget and a will to spend the least
therefor i have decided not to buy a 3d tv at all but to go for a fhd 51 inches
so i am thinking to go to gaffar market and look at the imported tv sets
2)Vu 50K160 (fhd) aint plasma :/
what options do i have .. maybe some brand like videcon ? etc
or maybe led in less than 60k

Last edited:
I just checked for reviews and posting the first link I found.

LG 50PB6600 Review (50PB6650); 50 inch Smart TV Plasma HDTV

Check picture quality section yourself.

Hi Blasto,

Hope you were referring to the comment "LG's plasmas are typically less brilliant than Samsung's."... But it also has scored 82/100 for picture quality, which i think reasonably good for TV costing 60K...

My point is just because a TV being less brilliant than the Top brand shouldn't be left out for consideration....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back