What to upgrade first?

From going through all the posts, I too think that your amp has a problem. The burnt smell could be an indication. Also, you were not able to tell the difference in sound when you had connected the speaker wires to the terminals without the linking plate and then with the linking plate. (Post #292) This also indicates that something is wrong somewhere. Even if Crown was a Pro-Grade amp, the problem with its sound signature, if any, would be in the mids and highs and definitely not in the lows. The kind of power that the crown has, your floorstanders should have made your neighbours run out of the house at high volumes !!!

Last edited:
From going through all the posts, I too think that your amp has a problem. The burnt smell could be an indication. Also, you were not able to tell the difference in sound when you had connected the speaker wires to the terminals without the linking plate and then with the linking plate. (Post #292) This also indicates that something is wrong somewhere. Even if Crown was a Pro-Grade amp, the problem with its sound signature, if any, would be in the mids and highs and definitely not in the lows. The kind of power that the crown has, your floorstanders should have made your neighbours run out of the house at high volumes !!!
You are right.
My jamo speakers costing 20k a pair ( year 2007)
Produced powerful bass when played with the crown amp (source- cell phone)
In our backyard of size 70 x 50 feet.

The way you have connected both amps (one of them is AVR) to the same speakers, without removing the jumper, output caps of one of the amps will fry. That's a strict no!
@Akshit2111 Did you start the crown amp connecting like this?
Mostly the output caps of Crown amp have got in to trouble, that's why the burning smell. Luckily tweeters are OK. Its better to take it to service center. Or return it if possible.

Unfortunately return window has closed. I guess if the issue was that burning smell then i guess it wudnt have worked good otherwise. Mid notes are ok high is ok bass is present but not that tight. I really dont think theres any issue with the amp. I guess i have some impedence mismatch with yamaha and crown.
If anybody can help me on that ill be greatful.
Yamaha wxc50 crown xls 1502
And yes i connecter crown straight with my phone and i got sweet music but bass lacked the tightness.

That did not happen.. infact my Avr was louder in comparison.
Wud replacing the preamp help?

I guess if the issue was that burning smell then i guess it wudnt have worked good otherwise
I guess i have some impedence mismatch with yamaha and crown.
Wud replacing the preamp help?

There could be an issue with the voltage of per-out being a bit low for the pro-amp in which case it will not output its full power. However, I am no expert at this. So do your own study. If you are convinced that this is the case then most other consumer pre's may also have this problem. Take a look at the product linked below too. Please note that I have no experience in this line of discussion and you will have to make your own choices.

Art Cleanboxpro at Amazon.in

Also, go through the reviews section of the cleanboxpro amazon site. You might find your answers there.

Last edited:
@Akshit2111 Try this. Reset the crown to factory settings. Then go to input voltage and change it to .775. Reset the Yamaha also. After that, remove the top/bottom connectors from the speakers and connect the Crown to the lower woofer connection. Play something and let us know.

ya i wud like to know more about this pre and pro mismatch.
Connected marantz integrated amp 70 watt per channel with wharfadale speakers. The output was bassy but not as clear.
then tried the same speakers with yamaha and crown and it seemed lifeless. i forgot to tweak the input sensitivity setting in crown( how stupid of me)..
Whenever i lower the input sensitivity to .775 on crown the sound is better as compared to 1.4 .

@Akshit2111 Try this. Reset the crown to factory settings. Then go to input voltage and change it to .775. Reset the Yamaha also. After that, remove the top/bottom connectors from the speakers and connect the Crown to the lower woofer connection. Play something and let us know.

ok ill do that. so i need to remove the plate and connect the speaker cables to lower terminals. and then play some music. this is to test the bass notes right?

ok ill do that. so i need to remove the plate and connect the speaker cables to lower terminals. and then play some music. this is to test the bass notes right?
Have you tried short RCA cables...they reduce the impedance mismatch...4 feet RCA cables are of no use...its better if you can get 50CMs or not more than 100CMs

ya i wud like to know more about this pre and pro mismatch.
Connected marantz integrated amp 70 watt per channel with wharfadale speakers. The output was bassy but not as clear.
then tried the same speakers with yamaha and crown and it seemed lifeless. i forgot to tweak the input sensitivity setting in crown( how stupid of me)..
Whenever i lower the input sensitivity to .775 on crown the sound is better as compared to 1.4 .
Keep it at. 775 only
Run a test tone .
Check the frequency response graph of the speakers.
That's the easiest way for us to understand if there's any issue. Coz your bass expectation might be different from what is normally played through regular stereo setups.

Keep it at. 775 only
Run a test tone .
Check the frequency response graph of the speakers.
That's the easiest way for us to understand if there's any issue. Coz your bass expectation might be different from what is normally played through regular stereo setups.
how do we check the frequency graph of speakers?

Or use online tone generator. Google it. Don't need app to measure.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back