Where should I buy Home appliances from - Amazon / Flipkart or Local dealer?

testlink

I am looking to buy a large screen TV and a Double door refrigerator for my new home in Kerala.

Shall I buy these home appliances online from Amazon / Flipkart etc or a Local dealer?

Does this make any difference with the service, support of the appliances ?

Would I not get the latest 2022 / 2021 models online, compared to a local store?

Online is cheaper for Price and it comes to service they are pathetic, Until you do some research on the After sales support points availablity around your location. (This is applicable for Refrigerator)

For TV since its covers warrany and possible to ship them for service in case required, Online is better for price and Service.

In Nutshell - Fridge -> Local dealer ; TV --> Online
Also try to go with mediocre Brands since LED Evolution , High TV Price != Lifespan like CRT TV's.

It depends. During festive season or during online sales it is much cheaper to buy from online with card discounts and also with exchange of old products. I was able to get a LG washing machine with card discount and exchange of 7K for defective old Bosch washing machine which I will never get in offline store. Also as another FM mentioned it is easier to return/exchange online (especially Amazon but not sure about Flipkart). I would trust Amazon rather than any other online stores for ease in customer service.

A lot of times local dealers are actually *cheaper* than online sales. Make sure to check prices at both.

I've found many dealers are willing to match the online price if it is lower.

In expensive purchases it's better to have a salesperson/manager's name, contact number in case there are any issues, rather than faceless generic customer care of Amazon/FK.

Some years back I bought a Whirlpool AC from Reliance Digital. When I faced issues with it, the store manager put me in touch with Whirlpool area manager, and customer care head, and applied pressure from his end too. It helped a lot in getting the AC changed. Don't think this would have happened if it were an online purchase.

P.S.: If you can, do wait for R-day sale. There are usually good offers around Jan 26.

P.P.S.: The dealer vs online question is for normal times. With covid third wave upon us, it may be best to just stay home and buy online.

Last edited:
A lot of times local dealers are actually *cheaper* than online sales. Make sure to check prices at both.

I've found many dealers are willing to match the online price if it is lower.

In expensive purchases it's better to have a salesperson/manager's name, contact number in case there are any issues, rather than faceless generic customer care of Amazon/FK.

Some years back I bought a Whirlpool AC from Reliance Digital. When I faced issues with it, the store manager put me in touch with Whirlpool area manager, and customer care head, and applied pressure from his end too. It helped a lot in getting the AC changed. Don't think this would have happened if it were an online purchase.

P.S.: If you can, do wait for R-day sale. There are usually good offers around Jan 26.
Yes, you can always leverage online prices with offline stores. Only problem with offline stores they will wash off the hands once the sale happens and will ask to contact the manufacturer for warranty. There may be exceptions but once sale is completed there is marked difference in their tone when you call them for help with some clarification or for return. I have returned and replaced A/C's, refrigerators, water heaters etc.. over the years through Amazon and never even once had any problem with their customer support. I don't know about other online services but will trust Amazon one hundred percent.

Yes, you can always leverage online prices with offline stores. Only problem with offline stores they will wash off the hands once the sale happens and will ask to contact the manufacturer for warranty. There may be exceptions but once sale is completed there is marked difference in their tone when you call them for help with some clarification or for return. I have returned and replaced A/C's, refrigerators, water heaters etc.. over the years through Amazon and never even once had any problem with their customer support. I don't know about other online services but will trust Amazon one hundred percent.

The return/refund option online is a good point. Though caveats apply for big ticket consumer goods (in the same way caveats apply about how a salesperson may treat you post purchase).

Last year, my Daikin AC from Tata Cliq stopped working within a few days. They sent technicians who repaired it but didn't replace it because I had "opened the packaging and installed it"!!!

[Also refund is rarely available for consumer electronics. In the last few months, I have bought a 1,400 bucks router (FK) and a 20k tab (amazon). Neither had a refund option. Just replace (in case of defects).]

Last edited:
I would advise the local dealer option.
Nowadays most of them match the online Amazon prices if you negotiate with them.
They also have various card offers available.
Most important- Not all online sellers on Amazon and Flipkart are authorised sellers.
If the online seller on Amazon or Flipkart is not an authorised dealer for the brand of TV, the company has the option to decline warranty. It is mentioned in terms and conditions.

New models are generally released in January and are available in all stores in the new catalogue

Better to pay 2000 to 3000 extra and buy from an authorised dealer even if after sales support is passed on to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
The return/refund option online is a good point. Though caveats apply for big ticket consumer goods (in the same way caveats apply about how a salesperson may treat you post purchase).

Last year, my Daikin AC from Tata Cliq stopped working within a few days. They sent technicians who repaired it but didn't replace it because I had "opened the packaging and installed it"!!!

[Also refund is rarely available for consumer electronics. In the last few months, I have bought a 1,400 bucks router (FK) and a 20k tab (amazon). Neither had a refund option. Just replace (in case of defects).]
Yes, Amazon has stopped refund for consumer electronics as it was abused to a large extent. As you have mentioned only replacement is possible now. However, they do refund based on your purchases and your account standing but this will also be possible only with Amazon fulfilled items.

I have bought a few appliances online over the past couple of years.

First purchase was an IFB washing machine bought from Flipkart, 2 years ago. The shipment got delayed. On Flipkart it kept showing as stuck at a warehouse. But I received a messaged saying product couldn't be delivered as door was locked. I called customer care. They were very unhelpful, wouldn't give any real updates and just kept saying we are trying our best to get the product to you at the earliest. At one point they even asked me to contact the logistics company directly, which I refused to do. They finally delivered it after 12 days.

That was my only poor experience though.

At the same time, I had also bought a Vu TV. It was delivered in one day and the installation guy came on the same day and did the demo.

After that, I ordered an LG Oven in August 2020. Received it on time. Company guy came for demo, which was not even needed. I even needed warranty service 3 months later. I contacted LG and had no trouble getting a replacement part, they didn't even ask where I had bought it from, they just asked for a picture of the sticker on the back of the oven.

Then I ordered a Whirlpool refrigerator for myself. Got it on time, installation people came 2 days later. Had no trouble with that either. One year later, haven't had any issues with the product.

Earlier this year, I also ordered a Godrej refrigerator at my parents' home. Experience was similar. Got a call from Godrej a day after the product was delivered, installation people came and gave a demo the same day. The refrigerator was unpacked by the Flipkart delivery people itself.

I have also gotten a geyser, multiple laptops and computer monitors online, never had any issues. Luckily, none of them have required warranty service either.

Overall, my experience of buying online has been positive.

However, there are a few reasons why I would want to buy at a physical store. First, if I want to look at the product. A few months ago I needed a new gas stove. I found that product dimensions were very unreliable on Amazon and Flipkart and I really needed to know how big the stove would be, since my kitchen counter is relatively small. Second is if I can't decide on the product without actually experiencing it. I bought a home theater few months back and I wanted to get a demo before the purchase, so I went with local stores. It's a different story that local prices were also lower than online prices in this case. Third, if the product is very expensive. Although I haven't had this situation so far, but if I were to buy a TV which cost me Rs. 1,20,000, I would prefer to go to a store and look at the TV, clarify the warranty terms and conditions in person, then buy the product.

I usually avoid purchasing Home appliances from online stores after LG refused to honor the warranty for my last Washing Machine purchased from the Online Store. Besides, one can get a good deal from the offline store if good at bargaining.

I usually avoid purchasing Home appliances from online stores after LG refused to honor the warranty for my last Washing Machine purchased from the Online Store. Besides, one can get a good deal from the offline store if good at bargaining.
May I know from which store did you buy? I want to avoid that online store. Thanks...

I am looking to buy a large screen TV and a Double door refrigerator for my new home in Kerala.

Shall I buy these home appliances online from Amazon / Flipkart etc or a Local dealer?
Hi,
many good points already mentioned.
I'd just like to add from my personal experience that:
1. You will never find out the best price for your required product if you restrict yourself to online.
2. Nothing beats visiting three stores in your city and negotiating/driving a hard bargain. You will eventually reach a price that none would be willing/able to better and that is the best price. In the case of a TV, it will be between 20 per cent to 40 per cent of what online sites advertise (latter in festive season)

Does this make any difference with the service, support of the appliances ?
Of late, the difference in after sales service between online and stores is blurring fast.
Best to ignore platform but always choose a brand that has a good service facility available in your geography.

Would I not get the latest 2022 / 2021 models online, compared to a local store?
No, if it is available in India, you will get it on both platforms.

Regards and all the best.

A decade ago I purchased Panasonic refrigerator from local dealer. It had a dent up front and when complained, the dealer said "itna to chalta hai" and refused any replacement. Every visitor asked me whether I got it second hand!

Nowadays I see offline dealers selling dented products at "dirt cheap" prices, normally with 40-60% discount. The product has original warranty card. Has anyone tried them?

Covid risk has to be taken into account if you are not one of the carefree types... I have been buying from Amazon fk exclusively for 8 to 10 years now for all ticket size items...

I never buy online impulsively though..use price tracking and wait for your chance... I have never met anyone who has purchased items cheaper in offline market compared to what I have bought... Fridge tv microwave ps4 etc...

As I said if you buy on short notice without price tracking you will never find the best deal

Coming to covid, do you want to risk covid by venturing out to shops to save a few thousand rupees to risk lakhs and peace of mind down the line... Plus risk of permanent loss... Upto you but I would suggest to make a conscious decision considering this

For expensive appliances, it is better to get them from the dealer/store directly. For most home appliances, the manufacture at times does not honor the online purchase ( eg Yamaha)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back