Where to buy 3D projector in Chennai

The question was about the small room, where the max seating distance is approx 6 ft or so, meaning the seats are totally against the back wall. Now, as we know, smaller the room, bigger is the room gain. Meaning, lower frequencies will get a lot of boost. Top to that, the seating is right at the back wall, where the bass will be even louder. Adding any sub, will make the bass very louder after the room gain is added. If one plans to use absorption, it has to be placed on the back wall, the thickness needed of the traps will be more than a feet and it will even make the room more smaller.

If one uses a bookshelf, having output of -3db at 80 hz, that means, it will still have some output below that frequency. Its just that it is less than -3db average specified output. Couple that output with room gain and there could be some usable low frequency output, good enough for that room. Again, each room will respond differently, so there is no guarantee that it will work or the outcome will be desirable. That will depend upon the actual measurement of room. But it will be better than having a sub though. Sub will definitely make the low frequency response of such a small room boomy.

Wonderfully explained:clapping:; You definitely have a lot of technical knowledge to explain why sound sounds the way it sounds. But I'm really perplexed as to why you implied that I was spreading misinformation here when I essentially said the same thing (that a bookshelf would sound like a sub in a small room)

Manoj,

I am confident that even after a sharp screen drop to 55" it will still not be sensible to view from 3/4 feet by 2/3 family members.

You are absolutely correct that you would dare not sacrifice the video and audio content by having home theatre in a tiny room of 6/8 feet.

V.

True. My proper answer to the question would be more likely be as below (although this subjective, so others will have different opinion)-
Can it be done? Technically Yes for the display part.
Is it a good way and can be recommended? Most likely not. If a friend asks me, I would say get a smaller size, more like 55" to be safe.
Would I do it? - Not at all. Audio and video are both equal important to me, so I would definitely not go that route.

Last edited:
Wonderfully explained:clapping:; You definitely have a lot of technical knowledge to explain why sound sounds the way it sounds.
thanks Captain, but I don't think I am that much of knowledgeable. still learning from internet forums, talking to friends and experimenting at home with little bit of equipment that I have. There is a lot to learn at forums like this and from other members.
But I'm really perplexed as to why you implied that I was spreading misinformation here when I essentially said the same thing (that a bookshelf would sound like a sub in a small room)

I remember that comment. It was not about the bookshelf, but the whole argument was stereo amp vs AVR. My comment was a light hearted reply to the earlier comments. More like saying "We agree to disagree" and move on. :)

Last edited:
I have spent over Rs. 2 Lacs on acoustics and you find it a compromise, do you have some reason to say so? By the way how have you handled your room acoustics? It is needless to say that the woofer is handled well in terms of placement etc.

It is open knowledge that with action scenes the effect of sub woofer is such that some of the things around will vibrate/rattle.

It is quite a mother of news when you say no sub woofer is needed for watching movies, while companies all over the world are selling 5.1 & 7.1 for movies. On this forum or elsewhere the regular movie watchers, most of them will have a sub woofer + speakers.

It is very true that compromises have to be made but there is a urgent need to understand that it should be in a limit and not limitless.

If i am writing huge write up, there is a need to do so, after all i am merely replying to the posts.

It continues to surprise me when you say that it is a small compromise to watch from 6 feet while the hard fact can just not be ignored that it is a sure mother of compromise for various reasons based on several writings.

Further the 6 feet is in actual a mere 3/4 feet, please try to make some right efforts in reading the earlier posts.

V.

I think you have done mother of compromise in acoustics part and of-course setting of sub-woofer Otherwise nothing will rattle all are properly setup/tuned and placed in position.

No sub-wooofer is needed if a bass based good ported floor standers or bookshelves is bought ( another debate: I used to think that a lot of the bass energy from ported speakers was "pumped" out through the ports. This turned out to be a misconception still i read some AV forum debated. The ports actually regulate the pressure inside the cabinet. The bass comes from the cone. As long as air can flow freely in and out of the ports, the sound will not be compromised... am I right ???? )

A lot of compromise should be made in day to day life inorder to survive in basic life, otherwise you cannot survive. This is also like this:p

Your huge write up is not going to help stopping people to compromise little bit to enjoy the PJ and the fact it can be used at 6ft.:D

Last edited:
It is needless to say that the woofer is handled well in terms of placement etc.

It is open knowledge that with action scenes the effect of sub woofer is such that some of the things around will vibrate/rattle.

It is quite a mother of news when you say no sub woofer is needed for watching movies, while companies all over the world are selling 5.1 & 7.1 for movies. On this forum or elsewhere the regular movie watchers, most of them will have a sub woofer + speakers.

It is very true that compromises have to be made but there is a urgent need to understand that it should be in a limit and not limitless.

Further the 6 feet is in actual a mere 3/4 feet, please try to make some right efforts in reading the earlier posts.

V.

Yes, now you are using "Vibrate/ Shake", that is what needed for an HT and not an rattling.. If rattling is there during watching movies you are distracted from the scene and you have to watch what is felling:p and you will become an cricket player to catch it..

Why 6 feet is merely 3/4 ft:D We are talking about sitting at 6ft length and watching the movie at same 6 ft, Don't take it otherwise personally, if u please sorry. You have told number of time you are the only person watching movie in your Mini theatre, why cant you think about others too who is intend to watch at 6ft alone or atleast 3 guys( husband/wife and an kid :p )and keep telling about other family members;) in second row..

The words vibrate/shake and rattling are not far from each other. Please do not get cricket into this because the screen etc could get damaged.

Indeed if the family members are 3 then they can watch from 6 feet but in most cases the members are more so the 3/4 feet situation fully arises.

On the other hand even watching from 6 feet is a huge problem keeping several other factors in mind of which are written in this and other threads. Therefore don't take it otherwise personally.

V.

Yes, now you are using "Vibrate/ Shake", that is what needed for an HT and not an rattling.. If rattling is there during watching movies you are distracted from the scene and you have to watch what is felling:p and you will become an cricket player to catch it..

Why 6 feet is merely 3/4 ft:D We are talking about sitting at 6ft length and watching the movie at same 6 ft, Don't take it otherwise personally, if u please sorry. You have told number of time you are the only person watching movie in your Mini theatre, why cant you think about others too who is intend to watch at 6ft alone or atleast 3 guys( husband/wife and an kid :p )and keep telling about other family members;) in second row..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back