Which 3G phone?

gobble

I was looking at a hack to make my ipod touch mobile using tethering. I know its not yet feasible, but someday the crack will come. So I am looking for a 3G phone that is very basic like the Moto Rockr WX390 Motorola WX390 - music phone - Motorola India

No fancy colour screen (already have touch), no java, no music, no nothing needed .. just a phone with text screen and Bluetooth HFP HSP and DUN profile and 3G or GPRS Class 12 Edge.

If the tether never works, its ok, I need a new phone anyways. But i want to buy gear I can experiment with.

Budget is less than 4K.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Last edited:
I'll tell you what - Sell the touch and get a Android phone, this way you'll be free of all Jailbreaking tethering etc and you've endless possibilities.

Although I didn't understand your first line

I was looking at a hack to make my ipod touch mobile using tethering

How do you do it when it hasn't got the radio?

I was looking at a hack to make my ipod touch mobile using tethering. I know its not yet feasible, but someday the crack will come. So I am looking for a 3G phone that is very basic like the Moto Rockr WX390 Motorola WX390 - music phone - Motorola India

No fancy colour screen (already have touch), no java, no music, no nothing needed .. just a phone with text screen and Bluetooth HFP HSP and DUN profile and 3G or GPRS Class 12 Edge.

If the tether never works, its ok, I need a new phone anyways. But i want to buy gear I can experiment with.

Budget is less than 4K.

Any suggestions?

Regards

An old blackberry?

Something like the 8700 or the 7290?

These are some of the best phones I have ever used, in terms of keyboard quality, sturdiness, and sheer usefulness. Even the new models aren't half as good.

The thing is I dont want the "overhead" and mental distractions of wap, email music and other apps. Even if I get these for within the budget, I dont want them. Just plain text dialling and phonebook is all I need. :)

I am almost set on the WX390 with class 10 GPRS without Edge unless there is a better alternative with the same look and feel but EDGE and Class 12 GPRS or 3G.

Cheers

I'll tell you what - Sell the touch and get a Android phone, this way you'll be free of all Jailbreaking tethering etc and you've endless possibilities.

Although I didn't understand your first line

How do you do it when it hasn't got the radio?

Possibly use bluetooth enabled modem with DUN profile. Needs experimentation.

Found this one has everything I need, 3G + GPRS class 32 EDGE Nokia India - Nokia 2730 classic - Specifications

Will have to raise my budget, and cope with a fancy colour screen though.

The thing is I love the look and feel of the WX390 :( but hey features are what one needs.

Cheers

Who can I sell my old phones to? I need to junk them. if I can get 2 to 3k for them it will be great!

Cheers

Who can I sell my old phones to? I need to junk them. if I can get 2 to 3k for them it will be great!

Cheers

Well, See if you can trade them in for the new phone in grey market but I dont think they will give you 2 to 3k .

Possibly use bluetooth enabled modem with DUN profile. Needs experimentation.

Found this one has everything I need, 3G + GPRS class 32 EDGE Nokia India - Nokia 2730 classic - Specifications

Will have to raise my budget, and cope with a fancy colour screen though.

The thing is I love the look and feel of the WX390 :( but hey features are what one needs.

Cheers

Gobble - How about MiFi, It has been launched over here in UK and I don't think India would be far. It's a 3G Modem which can act as a wireless hotspot - it can be used for anything your phone, PC etc

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back