Which are good 7.1 AV Receivers costing below 25 K?

ashokec

Hi Guys

I'm planning to Buy a 7.1 AV receiver. Budget is 15-25K..

Also Please let me know if there are any good deals in Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai or any online.

Regards

You can try Onkyo 508 which is the only 7.1 receiver around 25K. You can also consider denon 1311, 1611, 1312, 1612 which are 5.1 receivers. You can add a stereo amp to the surround pre out to make them 7.1. You can also look for models from sony which are well within your budget, but you will have to import them through ebay GEB etc.

Hi Guys

Also Please let me know if there are any good deals in Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai or any online.

Regards

Try for a resale from the forum for 7.1 at this price. Incase of brand new, It is better to invest in a good 5.1 for 25k than a 7.1 which requires a higher budget to perform equally to 5.1 at this price range.

Regards

Thanks to both of you for replying...

I have checked Onkyo 508 and it's available for 25 K.

But the internet radio support in some of the new models is prompting me now :)
So I'm checking for second hands too...
If anybody planning to sell please let me know.
(Dolby Digital Plus support is must for me)

Hi Guys

Regards

At this price point, the only way to get new ones is to source it from US or abroad. You will easily find many 7.1/7.2 AVRs at this price point there. The Onkyo tx nr609 which I went for was $390 which translates to 17.5k.

You will have to risk on the warranty and voltage. But I am sure there are many HFV members who had gone this route and happy with it!

Cheers!

But Yahama av 371 is 5.1!
Seems I have to wait for some more time :)

BTW,Could anybody tell about the idea of using an external sound card with laptop,
so that I can use my current 5.1 speakers and additional speaker to set up 7.1.

Regards

Firstly, you dont need 7.1 as where will one get movies encoded in 7.1 and even if one does, how many exist in the first place. Secondly, its better to get a basic AVR with good SQ and leave the video and audio upscaling/up-whatever to a good DVD/BDP with 5.1 analog out as well as hdmi, co-ax and optical out. This gives the max degree of flexibility. Look for higher output in a basic no-frills package. Therefore, the only advantage that can be incurred is to have a zone2 pr of speakers in another room(for music only) and a 5.1 setup where the TV/screen is. However, I am not a fan of this setup either as AVRs esp budget ones tend to run very hot when pumped up slightly in stereo mode. Thats a GIVEN for sure. I,d rather you use the same money to buy a simple AVR and a good budget stereo amp for Zone 2. Have played enough with AVRs to be able to write this but then as always, just my two phooti kaudis.
Regards

Last edited:
I,d rather you use the same money to buy a simple AVR and a good budget stereo amp for Zone 2. Have played enough with AVRs to be able to write this but then as always, just my two phooti kaudis.
Regards

Agree with Trittya @ 100%.
Trittya had incidentally visited my place with another Forum member and also seen the Zone 2 of my AVR latched on to an external stereo amplifier to feed only music to another room. Lesser the 'bells and whistles', the better, since, one hardly makes use of them after the first couple of months 'honeymoon'!

Thanks for your replys :)
as trittya told there are not many 7.1 discs now, but I was planning for the future.
But it seems I have to spend a lot for it.
May be I will go for a less cost Dolby/DTS 5.1 decoder for now and be happy :)
Will go for an AV receiver after 1 or 2 years.
Guess a decoder costs around 5K only, right?

Thanks for your replys :)
as trittya told there are not many 7.1 discs now, but I was planning for the future.
But it seems I have to spend a lot for it.
May be I will go for a less cost Dolby/DTS 5.1 decoder for now and be happy :)
Will go for an AV receiver after 1 or 2 years.
Guess a decoder costs around 5K only, right?

Do you already have multichannel amp? . In fact then you dont even need Avr in future unless you have multiple video sources and your tv cannot take multiple sources in. Get a dvdp/BDP With such a decoder built in. If you dont have a multichannel amp, how do you plan to amplify the decoded signal? So anyway you need a multich amp(in form of avr or simple amp) whether you use a separate decoder or not.

be extremely cautious when buying a 7 channel receiver at this price range. They are highly compromised in its current delivery capacity....meaning it cant deliver high load peak currents, it will have a moderate power supply unit hence will be much lower in weight than some better amps/receivers.....so your speakers should necessarily be picked such that they do not require a whole lot of current to drive them, especially the front 2 speakers. This dosent mean you have to pick 8 ohm speakers only.

Here is a quote from an article i read recently,
Although a particular loudspeaker may be rated for 4 ohms (nom), it may actually provide a more stable load for an amp to drive than another speaker rated at 8 ohms. This has to do with the inductive reactance nature of loudspeaker systems. A speakers impedance varies as a function of frequency. An improperly designed loudspeaker may have nasty impedance dips at certain frequencies. This may potentially drive an amp into oscillation if it becomes too problematic. A well designed 4 ohm speaker system will usually present a more ideal load to an amp than a poorly designed 8 ohm speaker.
Watch out with low end/priced speakers, especially with bass reflex ports. These could have some nasty design issues which result in a higher demand from amps!!

So this dosent mean you have to pick 8 ohm speakers only or a 4 ohm one. You have got to analyze them - the impedance-phase response!!
the impedance - phase response should have no significant *power sucking regions*...which can be known only by analyzing the frequency & phase response.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back