Which external hard drive should I buy?

But any intel manufactured SSD and kill me if it dies before at least 20 years.

It has nothing to do with brand.
When it comes to data you would be worst hit even if 1 in trillion of a particular manufacturer/type fails and it fails for you. As Thad has mentioned multiple redundant backups are the only way you can build up reliability in data storage system.

@amol12 - You are probably right... but I've a 40GB SSD from Intel that's been working wonderfully for nearly 2 years now and everything else I've tried since then has failed. That includes Samsung, Kingston, Corsair, SanDisk and even a Toshiba all failed in under 6 months for me.

See I agree with you all that having 2-3 Backups is the best! An SSD cannot protect. Your data from ACT of god, thieves, arsonists . But I beg to differ with the argument that HDD is safer than SSD . like my friend already pointed out a GooD SSD ( like Intel) will out do any HHD CD it DVD until and unless you doing try to put a nail through it or cook it in oven.

Having two three backups just reduces the probability of simultaneous death of three storage medias it has nothing to do with either one's quality or technology.

No argument. Reducing possibility of disaster is what backup is all about.

I have no idea if Intel is any better than any other SSD. Is there anything published on this?

Anyway, SSD remains, so far, academic for many of us, as we still cannot afford it as primary storage, let alone backup. Its higher read/write speed is just not relevant either, for most of us. However, that would be a pleasant luxury, perhaps. I think I would buy it, if affordable, for silent/cool running. Not that my HDDs are noisy, but they are certainly hot. This is more relevant to internal storage, I guess.

Hmm... About CDs, I don't remember where but I've heard a radio programme about their quality and what struck me, they seem to be total crap, to make long story short. For example in comparison to vinyls, which are of much better sound quality but that's a different topic.
I've heard that the way of coding dada on CDs -these we make at home is really short termed.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back