Which Home theater sstem is best?

asaldharan

Hi All,

Now I made my mind to replace my Philips HT. Need your suggestions in selecting a good HT.

My living place is 180 sq.ft [20 ft TV viewing distance( Length) and 9 ft surrounding effect distance( Breadth)].

Since I have a full HD TV, I am looking for Full HD HT as well. It should have optical input to connect my TV. Budget is around 30-35K.

Thanks

If you want to buy a HTib then please demo Onkyo 3400 or Denon 1312xp. But your room is quiet large. So, you can build HT system gradually by adding AVR+speakers one by one. This will cost you more but will give you best result.
Buy a AVR like Denon 1612, Yamaha 373 then add 2 Floorstanders and a Centre channel, for surrounds you can use your old Philips speakers, later you can upgrade to good Surround speakers.

Last edited:
+1 Rupam.

If you can increase the budget a little bit to around 40K, then you can buy a AVR like Yamaha 373 (or) 473 with Jamo S426 HCS3 Home Theater package. It will cost you around 40K. The Jamo has complete package with 2 Floor standing speakers, 1 center, 2 surrond speakers. It will be able to fill our space well.

@jaivelu: you advice is very useful for me to buy the best home theatre system. I am planing to buy a panasonic UT50 50 inch plasma TV. Can you please suggest a good home theatre system for this TV. I am looking to spend not more than 30K and want a 5.1 system. My living room size is big around 12x14 ft

Thank you, Rupam.

When I browsed in the internet, It look like I could get a home theater package for 21 k ( yamaha) but If I go for AV receiver, it coming around 29k ( without speaker).

If you compare the specifications almost both are same.

And you see for 21K I am getting player, speaker etc.,

Can you please let me know what is the main difference?

Last edited:
@ asaldharan
The main difference is the speakers. The speakers of HtiB are not like the stand-alone speakers like Jamo S426 HCS3. or like Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 : Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1

Generally the HTiB (Home Theater in Box) include average quality speakers. And they also have passive subwoofers, a passive sub has no amplifier of its own built into it...it must rely on the receiver to supply it power to produce any LFE. a powered sub, on the other hand, has its own amplifier to produce sound from the low voltage signal coming from the receiver. powered subs perform better than passive subs.
The active subwoofers are better.

This Htib has Active subwoofer > Denon DHT-1312XP hometheatre.pdf

Look at this review of Onkyo HTS 3500 > What_Hi-Fi_Onkyo HTS 3500 review.pdf

@ asaldharan, the speakers are the main integral part of the whole HT system. In the HTiB systems, the speakers are the weak point. The receivers are good.

As I said earlier, increase the budget to 35-39K. You can get a very good receiver in Yamaha 371 (or) 373 and get the Jamo S426 HCS3 speaker package. Its the real value for money.

Yamaha 371 - Rs. 18,000/-
Jamo S426 HCS3 - Rs. 20,000/- (If you bargain can get at Rs. 18,000/-)

You can get the both at Reliance Digital in Chennai itself. Believe me they will give you very good HT experience.

@jaivelu: you advice is very useful for me to buy the best home theatre system. I am planing to buy a panasonic UT50 50 inch plasma TV. Can you please suggest a good home theatre system for this TV. I am looking to spend not more than 30K and want a 5.1 system. My living room size is big around 12x14 ft

Thanks roboro.

If you can spend little more than 30K then you can buy either of these

1) Denon DHT-1312XP - will be around 32K
2) Onkyo HT-S4505 - - will be around 32K

Both these package have very good AV recievers with active sub woofers. Its the real value for money.

If you don't want to spend more than 30K then you can purchase the

1) Onkyo 3400 - Rs. 22K to 24K
2) Onkyo 3500 - Rs. 26K to 27K
3) Yamaha 196 - Rs. 18K to 20K

You will certainly get a very good movie experience with these packages.

You can get these from 1) Onkyo showroom, Chennai 2) Reliance Digital, Chennai, 3) Yamaha Showroom, Chennai itself.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back