Which ISP and Wireless Router

mittal_v2002

I hope I am posting my query in the right forum as this is not directly related to the Media Players.. but assuming that all the guys here are after media players so they must have a decent internet connection at home and can help me choose one.

I am currently using the Reliance netconnect+ broadband for the minimal usage that I had so far (all official work), but as I am entering into the Home Theater territory so I am after a decent broadband connection for my home in Pune. Who are the good ISPs that can be considered wrt to quality of internet connection that they provide. I am looking for a unlimited download option only for obvious reasons :). The rental must be under 1.5K a month... which ISP and what plan would the experts suggest here :)

Also I checked BSNL, Tata Indicom website and they also seem to offer wireless router (at additional cost or rental), should I go for the one they are supplying or should I buy one from market instead ? what are the compatible brands and what are the prices ?

TIA.
Cheers

Do you have Airtel in your area? For 1200 they have a 1 mbps plan. Speed drops to 512 kbps after 75 GB of data transfer.

Regarding Wireless, its a commodity now a days. Buy any Netgear / D-Link / Linksys model in 1700 - 2200 range and it will do the job. Just make sure you enable WPA encryption.

OTOH if ISP provides wireless without monthly charges (and probably only one -time cost). That too makes sense since maintenance etc would be taken care of by ISP. E.g. if there is some issue with WiFi router, ISO would have to fix it.

I would advise airtel. With BSNL i have seen the speeds always fluctuating.
Airtel provides wireless router at an additional cost of 1000. Also there was a plan were they used to reduce that amount in parts after few months in bill.But not sure what are the current plans from Airtel. But i can definitely certify the quality of the service.

Also I had extremely bad experience with tata in January 2010. They fitted some kind of receiver on my terrance. But the speeds were extremely low, ports could not be forwarded and i was so frustrated i had to disconnect it after a couple of days.

Last edited:
Do you have Airtel in your area? For 1200 they have a 1 mbps plan. Speed drops to 512 kbps after 75 GB of data transfer.

Thanks Buddy.. However I just checked and it seems the speed drops to 256 kbps after 15 GB only..that may mean not even one full BD RIP download ..hehehe...

will explore BSNL, Tata, Airtel plans.. Any idea about Reliance wi-max ?

I had BSNL for a long time.. and because of extremely good service quality, I moved to Airtel recently. for 1Mbps , they maintain 1.25... upto 15GB FUP.. I think I rarely cross this...
Regarding the Wifi router, you have two options, g or N router. both wont help much in internet speeds, but there is a difference if you have multiple devices (usually do) say multiple computers/laptops and mobiles at home and want to share files across these devices . Then N routers are best, because the transfer speed is upto 300Mbps instead of 54Mbps in g router case. If you have N router, you will get very good speed playing HD video stored in your desktop and playing in a laptop which is connected thru Wifi.

While going for a N router, ensure that its really a N router by reading the microletters on the package. Some manufacturers fool the buyers by putting 'N' letter in the model number.
I think u got it..
All the best in Wifiying....
Anand

I had BSNL for a long time.. and because of extremely good service quality, I moved to Airtel recently. for 1Mbps , they maintain 1.25... upto 15GB FUP.. I think I rarely cross this...
Anand

I think, I will be using this more than that.. I am planning to watch a few HD or blu ray content on my new setup... have to buy a media player though... it is still in the wish list :)..

Regarding the Wifi router, you have two options, g or N router. both wont help much in internet speeds, but there is a difference if you have multiple devices (usually do) say multiple computers/laptops and mobiles at home and want to share files across these devices . Then N routers are best, because the transfer speed is upto 300Mbps instead of 54Mbps in g router case. If you have N router, you will get very good speed playing HD video stored in your desktop and playing in a laptop which is connected thru Wifi.

Anand

Not sure if I will be using this feature of N routers.. but will check, and these are not too expensive as compared to G router.. will go for this.. who knows, I will have a few more devices at home in some time.. :)

While going for a N router, ensure that its really a N router by reading the microletters on the package. Some manufacturers fool the buyers by putting 'N' letter in the model number.
I think u got it..
All the best in Wifiying....
Anand

Would you recommend any particular brand and the aprox prices ?

another dumb question.. after having the wireless router, I should still be able to connect a few devices using the traditional method.. eth cable ?

My Sony BDPS370 needs an optional wireless device to connect otherwise, that I am surely not going to buy.. :( ...or it can be connected on eth port /

Last edited:
I have had the exact opposite experience with BSNL and airtel. I find BSNL to be responsive and check out the issue within 24 hours if not the same day. Often I have gotten call backs within the hour and the problem has almost always been solved post haste.

With BSNL I get a constant 1.6Mbps ~= 2 Mbps with 20%overhead. With airtel it would rarely cross 1.2.

Airtel support I have found to be incompetent, inefficient and worse lying about and not accepting /testing their actual speeds.

BSNL has a Rs 1350 per month plan for 15 GB and 512 kbps after that. I think this will meet your download and speed needs.

If you pay annually - you get to pay only 13,500 (10 months) and they give the modem for free. So you get a break of 2700 (2 months) + ( modem -say around 1500) and it is under warranty for one year.

You can elect to pay Rs 800-Rs1000 more and return the free wired modem and get a wireless modem in return ( with 4 rj45 ports + 1usb as well).

BTW I live 1.25 kms from the exchange in Chennai and maybe that is why I get decent speeds.

If you watch a lot more DVDs , wouldn't be easier to buy them from the local street shops? Less effort and easier to have and backup as well.

another dump question.. after having the wireless router, I should still be able to connect a few devices using the traditional method.. eth cable ?

My Sony BDPS370 needs an optional wireless device to connect otherwise, that I am surely not going to buy.. :( ...or it can be connected on eth port /

I think it is better to connect these devices - NMP, BD player , TV etc.. with cable (try to use Cat5e or Cat6 ) rather than use the wireless USB sticks. If there are wiring constraints you can buy a good wireless bridge and place it near the devices and then connect locally using wires.

I think it is better to connect these devices - NMP, BD player , TV etc.. with cable (try to use Cat5e or Cat6 ) rather than use the wireless USB sticks. If there are wiring constraints you can buy a good wireless bridge and place it near the devices and then connect locally using wires.

yeah..seems logical :) Thanks..

If you watch a lot more DVDs , wouldn't be easier to buy them from the local street shops? Less effort and easier to have and backup as well.

Not actually :) ..Not a movie freak.. have not seen more than 2-3 movies in last 2 years on TV.. (had a CRT earlier).. but with the new setup with a 42' LCD and HT system, I am tempted to watch some high quality hollywood flicks.. perhaps will start with Avatar, Matrix, Transformers, F&F

And the kids will like ice age, up, and some other pixar movies..

BTW, thanks for the detailed reply about the tariffs etc..

normally any Wifi router will have at least 4 ethernet ports to connect non Wifi devices.
Even the device supports Wifi, say a printer, its better to connect through ethernet if possible (ie, located same place as the router) since it takes less power and more speed (in case of g router).
I cant say much about the models, but heard, Asus and DLinks are very good. I use a Netgear g router .. which costed me 1.34 K ..
Yes, I agree that BSNL is best in speed and cost.. But once you get trouble, the problem is the people sitting in your local telephone exchange dont know ABCD of electronics.. they dont know how to connect two copper wires properly....
The worst part is instead of reviewing their technical knowledge and skills, they blame poor junction boxes and cable.... :)

And BSNL will give night unlimited for certain schemes as well...

And better you buy the router by yourself from the out side market . And keep the modem from the ISP. So you have better options.

Last edited:
DVDs will not have HD Audio or Video.

Considering his budget the maximum fair usage limit ( in most ISPs) would be around 15 GB.

A reasonably good quality BD rip would be at least around 7 GB and the bigger ones go to 15 GB- it would pretty much exhaust most normal fair usage limits , if you split the usage with normal browsing and other downloads.

Hence I assumed his downloads would only be DVD :).

My current exp with airtel
I have a 4Mbps plan, dsl however is showing 1600 kbps - so they are cheating here.
For last 1 whole week, my internet disconnects every few minutes. They have been working on the problem for last 1 week! My little kid is not able to watch youtube videos - the only reason why I took the 4Mbps plan.
They also charged me 100rs per month extra for some PC protection plan that I never asked or used or got installed, for few months. After several followups it stopped showing but never got refunded. They cook up artificial requests on your behalf, saying "sir you must have requested it that is why it is being charged".

It is time to say goodbye to the thieves. So I am too looking for options in Noida.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that BSNL is best in speed and cost.. But once you get trouble, the problem is the people sitting in your local telephone exchange dont know ABCD of electronics.. they dont know how to connect two copper wires properly....
The worst part is instead of reviewing their technical knowledge and skills, they blame poor junction boxes and cable.... :)

And BSNL will give night unlimited for certain schemes as well...

And better you buy the router by yourself from the out side market . And keep the modem from the ISP. So you have better options.

Boy , I must be the only guy getting good service from BSNL :lol:.The line man are just low level guys who come to install without really knowing what they are doing. But you should get to know your local ADSL guys - the SDE or JTOs.

I am not kidding but twice or thrice (over the last 3 years) when I have complained about speed and other issues, I had two technicians come over and one of them was a really qualified guy who knew what he was talking about. He brought his own laptop with him to connect to test the speed.

BTW - BSNL has all but ended the night time free stuff for most of the regular plans and now they are pushing only the unlimited versions :(.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back