Which Media Streamer would you suggest

singho

Team,
I am looking at a commercially available media streamer which meets the following requirements :

Mandatory
========

1. Plays 1080p with mkv format DTS processing.

2. Can play DVD/BlueRay Menus

3. Has a torrent client which also does uploading/seeding

4. Has an inbuilt wireless connection [which I will only use for torrent and remote access and not media streaming]

5. Has USB ports to attach external hard disk

6. Want to watch live video IPTV channels on it something like what VUnow provides : VuNow

Optional
======
1. Has space for internal hard disk

2. Has open source firmware with an active community development model.

I do not want a HTPC. Already have that, and want to go green by cutting down on the power that my HTPC consumes.

Take a look at Dune products. They are getting good reviews, and are one of the first to have a Blu-Ray player built in.

• Upscaling: high-quality upscaling and deinterlacing of DVD and other SD content to HD resolution (up to 1080p)
  • Access to network: browser of network shares (SMB, UPnP), user-defined shortcuts to network shares (SMB, NFS), links to HTTP media streams
  • NAS function: SMB and FTP access from network to the player's attached storage devices
  • IPTV: direct playback and recording of multicast IPTV streams (raw-UDP and RTP-over-UDP, SD and HD)
  • Internet radio: HTTP/MP3
  • Powerful file manager (copy, move, delete, rename, etc), built-in FTP and SMB file server (NAS function)
  • Photo viewer: slide-show function, picture transition eff ects, picture rotation
  • Playlists: music/photos/video, user-defined and automatically generated playlists, repeat and shuffle
  • FullHD-quality, fast, convenient, customizable interface (with covert-art and icon browsing support)
  • Future (free f/w upgrade): Flash Lite 3 support
  • Future (free f/w upgrade): Netflix support (for the USA market)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11n USB adapter
  • Future option: RF remote, based on Z-Wave technology, a heart of an affordable Smart Home system

Cheers

xtremer is go go...wait for some time as xtremer pro is on the way which will have all that u want and also that u have put in optional

xteremer except for torrent support

xtremer can not play IPTV channels can it???

Anyway A C Ryan POHD has torrent support, but IPTV is something it does not. Also the internal storage for xtremer is limited to 2.5" HDD, POHD can accumudate 3.5"

Not sure about xtremer pro.

THIS THREAD might interest you....

Last edited:
can't oppo bdp do all this? If not on network, then from a locally attached usb hdd?

Hi,

The oppo does not recognize NTFS complaint devices which is a main draw back, and the no. of file format support is also limited compared to any HD media player. I've not tried it personally. So may be Ashish can help out.

cheers.

The yearly HME Awards winners are known drum roll we are pleased to share this good news with all Playon! family, fans and supporters Playon!HD has won the Best Mediastreamer for 2009.

The Home Multimedia Entertainment Awards (HME Awards) is organised yearly together with the Home Multimedia Enterntainment exhibition held every year at the Jaarbeurs in Utrecht, Netherlands. Nominations are picked by the judges and the winners are selected via public voting. Other winners and more details about the HME Award can be found here : HME 2009 - Awards

We are very pleased with this award as it is the media and the publics recognition of our teams effort. The Award certainly excite our AC Ryan Playon! spirit to excel further more!

Hi,
is it possible to create a image file from a bluray disc and play it in a media player. Like we can play a dvd iso image file in an external media player with dvd menus.
Thanks.

I have successfully played entire blu ray movie in xtreamer by ripping the m2ts files of the entire blue ray file. The output was excellent and it played great. With the latest firmware update of xtreamer u can play the blue ray folder which has all the ripped files and we don't need to worry about playing individual files.

I have successfully played entire blu ray movie in xtreamer by ripping the m2ts files of the entire blue ray file. The output was excellent and it played great. With the latest firmware update of xtreamer u can play the blue ray folder which has all the ripped files and we don't need to worry about playing individual files.

PlayOn can do this as well, including BR ISO files.....

The oppo does not recognize NTFS complaint devices which is a main draw back, and the no. of file format support is also limited compared to any HD media player. I've not tried it personally. So may be Ashish can help out.

With the latest firmware upgrade Oppo now supports Media File playback over the network, but your Network storage should be DLNA compatable and in my case I have installed Mediamonkey which is an Open source DLNA sever software onto my etrayz NAS so now I am able to stream movies through my etrayz to my Oppo as well as my PS3, and this feature simply eradicated the fact that the Oppo's USB port doesn't support NTFS file system.

If the budget is not a concern then take a look at Dune media players as Venkat has suggested and they also have built in Blu Ray drive which is also region free to play any blu ray as well as DVD's. Another option is to look at Tvix Media player specially model no. HD M-6600N which also supports all the feature you desire. On the cheap side Xtreamer would be an answer for all your needs.

With the latest firmware upgrade Oppo now supports Media File playback over the network, but your Network storage should be DLNA compatable and in my case I have installed Mediamonkey which is an Open source DLNA sever software onto my etrayz NAS so now I am able to stream movies through my etrayz to my Oppo as well as my PS3, and this feature simply eradicated the fact that the Oppo's USB port doesn't support NTFS file system.
Ashish, did you go in for the "SE" upgrade? Is Sumit's Oppo SE?

.....I am able to stream movies through my etrayz to my Oppo as well as my PS3,......

Hi,

Thanks for the info, and does this mean that you only connect the EHDD to your etrayz and stream data from it or do you connect your PC/laptop to the etrayz and stream the data. If it's the former option, then it's good, but if it's the latter option, then it's again a trade off on keeping your PC/laptop ON which will consume more power as opposed to HD media player.

cheers.

Have a look at Asus O!play play HDP R3 media player. It can stream content wirelessly.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, and does this mean that you only connect the EHDD to your etrayz and stream data from it or do you connect your PC/laptop to the etrayz and stream the data. If it's the former option, then it's good, but if it's the latter option, then it's again a trade off on keeping your PC/laptop ON which will consume more power as opposed to HD media player.

cheers.

My Hdds are already installed in the etrayz but I do have the option of even mounting an Extenal USB HDD to my etrayz and then use the contents in it for streaming to the media player of my choice and I don't need my Pc or Laptop to do the thing for me here, as I am using my NAS itself to do the same and play it either through Oppo or PS3, now its another case that I don't use these as the media playing devices since I have a dedicated media player as Xtreamer and Ps3 creates a lot of fan noise specially with summers approaching. The above feature makes Oppo's ethernet port usable to play network contents too as well as for BD live and this feature is unheard of any BD player avaliable in the commercial market, except Dune which is sold as a media player with built in Blu Ray Drive support.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back