Which Media Streamer would you suggest

Hi friends :)... I'm a new member to this forum ....
I've already ordered Oppo BDP-83 from 20north.com :yahoo:.
Anybody please tell me what is Xtreamer pro and what is Xtreamer etrayz ??? :confused:
I've lot of media files (MPEG2, 4 Divx, xvid etc) . I want to play this in my Sony 40EX500 LCD Tv.. any body explain ???
Thanx in advance.. :signthankspin:
shashi

Anybody please tell me what is Xtreamer pro and what is Xtreamer etrayz ??? :confused:
I've lot of media files (MPEG2, 4 Divx, xvid etc) . I want to play this in my Sony 40EX500 LCD Tv.. any body explain ???
Thanx in advance.. :signthankspin:
shashi

Xtreamer Pro is a media player client with inbuilt storage facility avaliable through 2x 2 Tb 3.5" Hdd whereas Xtreamer etrayz is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which also has 2 bays for 2 Tb support of 3.5" HDD, and acts as a server for all your storage needs which anybody in your house could access either through the ethernet or wirelessly. Etrayz can be accessed from anywhere in the world vide WWW.

Thanx Ashish...
I've lot of HD Video files in various formats ... are they playable via Oppo BDP-83 or is it mandatory to purchase a Media player.
shashi

Don't buy a media player now as Oppo supports most of the formats but it also has a limitation of 4 Gb file size as its USB doesn't support NTFS file system but the same has been eliminated with the addition of the playability of these kinds of files via the network.

Ashish ... how can I play files via network and what are all the devices I've to purchase.
shashi

Once your player arrives then check for the firmware update of the same but I guess that it must have the latest version of the software. Now to stream files through network you need to connect your Oppo to your network either through a network cable or through a wireless network bridge like Linksys WET610N or apple airport expresss. Once that is done then you need to install a DLNA media server software on your computer or NAS. After installing the same the media files in your computer or NAS would be shown on the TV screen through your Oppo's Network folder and then you can play any type of media files which oppo supports natively.

Ps: You need to have a minimum N band router to stream contents wirelessly to the Oppo.

Thanx Ashish..
Pls :lol: suggest me a best set of devices to use with Oppo BDP-83 to stream HD content to my LCD TV (via Wifi).
Thanx again
shashi

A computer or laptop with N Band wireless adaptor or a NAS connected with your router via the ethernet cable, 1 Apple Airport Express or Equivalent to act as wireless bridge for your Oppo to connect Wirelessly to your router, a powerful dual band router from the likes of Linksys WRT 610N or equivalent and last but not the least a lot of media on your computer for streaming to your Oppo.

Ok ... any good NAS ie., eTrayz (or suggest any other a little bit cheaper) & dlink or linksys wireless N router ... is this ok ?
shashi

Good NAS....... thats a big question and that too on the cheap side..... now I would suggest you to do some research here as all of them have some pros and cons and till now I haven't come accross any other NAS which is cheaper than the etrayz and offers so many features, but it also comes with its own share of problems and bugs which I assume would be solved through future firmware upgrades. About the router I would suggest you to go with one which supports both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz band simultaniously, as you can assign different traffic to different bands for eg: for internet usage assign all your computers and all other network devices on the 2.4 Ghz network and when it comes to media sharing and streaming then dedicate 5 Ghz band to it.
There is one more warning as this kind of setup doesn't come cheap and its also not fool proof so for the sake of convienience I would suggest that a one box solution like a Xtreamer Pro or Tvix is a much better option than the above route. I have opted for the above route as I am a technical guy and I already had the bits and pcs which made me spent a lot more on other stuff to optimize it. But for a non techy guy this kind of setup could be a little frustrating sometime.

Last edited:
Team,
I am looking at a commercially available media streamer which meets the following requirements :

Mandatory
========

1. Plays 1080p with mkv format DTS processing.

2. Can play DVD/BlueRay Menus

3. Has a torrent client which also does uploading/seeding

4. Has an inbuilt wireless connection [which I will only use for torrent and remote access and not media streaming]

5. Has USB ports to attach external hard disk

6. Want to watch live video IPTV channels on it something like what VUnow provides : VuNow

Optional
======
1. Has space for internal hard disk

2. Has open source firmware with an active community development model.

I do not want a HTPC. Already have that, and want to go green by cutting down on the power that my HTPC consumes.

Have a look at HDX BD-1

Wow. I am surprised and humbled. I had posted on 2/20 and till 3/3 there was not a single reply. And now there are 4 pages. I did not expect these many replies in my wildest dream.

Since I was travelling, I too, hadn't checked the forum for the past week. Anyway I finalised my purchase - I got myself a Asus O!Play Air.

Heres why :

Mandatory
========

1. Plays 1080p with mkv format DTS processing - Yes

2. Can play DVD/BlueRay Menus - Yes for DVD, No for BD. But for Dune no one does BD menu. Dune is OOS and far more expensive.

3. Has a torrent client which also does uploading/seeding - Yes, optware is finally running on Asus Air.

4. Has an inbuilt wireless connection [which I will only use for torrent and remote access and not media streaming] - Yes, oh yes! Only device till date.

5. Has USB ports to attach external hard disk - Yes and ESATA too !!

6. Want to watch live video IPTV channels on it something like what VUnow provides. - F/W ver 1.09 introced support for IPTV. Goodbye cable. I dont watch soaps, sports or news anyway.

Optional
======
1. Has space for internal hard disk - No :sad:

2. Has open source firmware with an active community development model. - Sorta

So why did I buy it ? And what else did I consider.
=====================================

1. Dune - OOS and way overpriced. No internal Wireless.

2. Xtreamer - with Wireless and Sidewinder cost $165. Didn't like how they treated complaining customers on the forums.

3. Xtreamer Pro - Not willing to buy a stuff that has not been reviewed.

4. Ryan Playon HD. Again external Wireless and the Mini version costs $170 with wireless.

5. Asus Air - $130 - Bought from Tigerdirect with Bing cashback - cost came to $110 [approx Rs.5000] Cheapest and best fit my requirement.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back