Which speakers package should I buy?

I can even go for a good LCR setup ignoring the surround and subs, then what would be a better route to go?
In that case, you can go for a good pair of Floorstand L & R speakers for now and add the remaining speakers later on. Just remember that no matter how big or good the Front L & R speakers are, you will still not get all that impact and rumble as long as you dont have a sub. However there is an exception and the name of that is JTR. If you have a pair of JTR Noesis 215RT, which are $4000 each, you man not need a sub. However the 4000ulf will still enhance the experience of even that setup.
You can also look at the famous, rising Indian brand Indiq Audio. they have very promising speakers at attractive price and I have often seen group buys for that brand in our forums. Kindly check that out too.

HI @Jason_Cruze

My 2 cents - id suggest you look up PSB Alpha P5 bookshelf speakers. Their construction quality may not be the best, but they are worth their mettle w.r.t sound. i have these paired to the Marantz PM5005 and work well for both stereo listening and movies. What really impressed me as their sub-bass they can achieve (40 hz on bass test tones). One of the best midrange (to my ears) which is where most dialogues reside in movies etc. They have a decent off axis response and you can get a good centre image even if these are pointing straight. For small room/nearfield listening, i honestly don't miss my subwoofers (from other larger set up). These are fairly well regarded as they replace PSB's most successful alpha line and have good reviews online from stereophile, etc. They pair up well with the Yamaha RX V585 since yamaha has powerful 'edgy' sound that gets somewhat tamed by the PSB's sound signature. If you up the bass through the yamaha, you should hear the sub bass rumble - must for movies. They are available on Hifimart for around 28K (try asking them for discount) though MRP is around 35k.

An alternate would be MICCA RB42 for front (16K on amazon) and PB42 for back/surrounds. RB42 have a thumpy bass with decent imaging thanks to silk dome tweets. The brand is not as appreciated but their speakers are actually good (read reviews). Had used them and passed on to another friend. They come and go in stock.

Good luck with your search :)

Sidenotes:
1. As someone who uses dual subs for my HT, i would say (in all fairness) that should still can get a subwoofer, once budget permits. It completes the HT experience.

2. I started with PSB X2T towers in the HT with surrounds being Tarang i-ball speakers. Subject to your budget, try and get the best 2 channels you can. Often tower speakers do the job better in the bass region and bigger soundstage imaging. The surrounds are only for effects so even basic speakers will fine. And no, they dont need to be timber matched/same make/ large speakers, unless you want 5.1 surround for music listening. if you really want large speakers, MICCA PB should be ok for less money spent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the overwhelming responses, My usage would be primarily for movies only. Just wanted to ask if anyone can say a location where I can audition these speakers. I'm in Chennai

For the requisite budget, they’d provide more than adequate performance when coupled with a sub.
I would suggest adding fronts, then center/sub and then surrounds…so over a period of time there is a good system. I have heard 3020i…while they are good for music, felt they are too weak to be HT fronts…irrespective of budget

I would suggest adding fronts, then center/sub and then surrounds…so over a period of time there is a good system. I have heard 3020i…while they are good for music, felt they are too weak to be HT fronts…irrespective of budget
So any suggestions for a best 2.1 system under 40K

You have very exacting standards! :) Not unsurprising - I guess it takes a lot to match up to “thedude”s :cool: expectations.

You have very exacting standards! :) Not unsurprising - I guess it takes a lot to match up to “thedude”s :cool: expectations.
I had Concept 40s which I sold to my cousin. Then got concept 20 and center to make 5.0 setup. I tried the 20s as fronts and was very underwhelmed. But they made great surrounds!!

just sharing my experience :) (needless to say YMMV)

TAGA Harmony TAV-606 SE 5.0 Speaker Package is pretty good for the price. Later you can add a sub if needed
I'm thinking of going Taga Harmony 806F and 806C for more or less the same price without surrounds. It has 8" bass driver each compared to 6.5 of 606SE. The 606SE has been discontinued and 607 seems to be the new iteration.

I'm thinking of going Taga Harmony 806F and 806C for more or less the same price without surrounds. It has 8" bass driver each compared to 6.5 of 606SE. The 606SE has been discontinued and 607 seems to be the new iteration.
Good choice!

Go for Taga. Nothing beats them in terms of value they offer in their price range. I have 606SE paired with sunfire sds 12 sub. The sound is amazing and they are more than enough for my 240sqft of room size.

Go for Taga. Nothing beats them in terms of value they offer in their price range. I have 606SE paired with sunfire sds 12 sub. The sound is amazing and they are more than enough for my 240sqft of room size.
Yes but 606se is discontinued and surpassed by 607. It's new but not sure it would be better than 606SE or the 806F. 806F has better bass but 607 speakers are new. So which one to go. I'm siding with 806F at the moment, I have to wait for a couple of weeks anyways since all the taga speakers are currently out of stock.
1616869561874.png
1616869579137.png
1616869621417.png
If someone has suggestions to go with either 607 or 806 based on the above specs, please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
I had Concept 40s which I sold to my cousin. Then got concept 20 and center to make 5.0 setup. I tried the 20s as fronts and was very underwhelmed. But they made great surrounds!!

just sharing my experience :) (needless to say YMMV)
So no sub paired with the concept 20 fronts :eek:??? those 5.25 inch drivers need reinforcement. Or you need to nail the placement to the T. But mostly a sub.

on another note, i just set up my secondary stereo with my existing pm6006 and kef q350s (now that the CXA81 takes pride of place in my primary setup) and you have to hear (and feel) the muscle that these bookshelves puts out in a 450 sq.ft room. Will do REW+umik measurements pretty soon to check how deep the bookshelves are digging.

Were the JBL Stage A130-A190 in the market then?
you are right.. I might be wrong with the model number but it was the stage series... could have been A120 and A180.. just when Samsung had announced take over of Harman. These speakers were available with solid discounts as there was a buzz of the line being discontinued. I heard bookshelves in stereo mode and also as surrounds in HT setup with A180s as Fronts. To my ears, they sound like missing some mids. Taga could have been voiced to be more forward sounding.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back