Which Tonearm is this ?

Hiten

tonearm.jpg

Any idea which tonearm is this ? Got it from products manager of a reputed yester years turntable mfr. Strong doubt that it is Jelco. But not sure. Needs tracking weight.
So any ideas ???
Regards

Last edited:
Certainly looks good! The circular frame of the pivot doesn't look like Jelco and certainly not Technics. Could be an exotic:) The markings on the weight compensation should make it a breeze to dial in correct counterweights once you balance the arm. How far does the weight go (on the circular markings - is that 1.5 or 2.5 or 3.5)?

For antiskate weight, you should be able to use the ones made for SME or the ones used in Lenco arms. They usually come in two sizes as far as I know - one for standard cartridges and another for heavier cartridges. Hang with slender nylon thread, experiment a bit on where to let it hang (on the notched armlet - try different notches and see if it skates in the inner grooves) and you should be in business. But to start off, you can fashion one yourself by drilling holes on 2-3 small coins (whose combined weight is around 3 to 3.5 gms) and slinging them up on said thread. Or the easier option is to use a small SS nut. Only caveat is you need to weigh it.

Scroll down to near bottom of this page: Golden Age Audio

I just ordered one yesterday for my SME 3009.

Thanks Joshua.
The counterweight dial has markings up to 3 gms. Thanks for the link. Yes Tracking (bias) will make this arm complete. Will be huge DIY building a TT around a tonearm. Interesting lets see.
Regards

BTW, I don't see a headshell. Is it missing or missing only from pic? But it looks like SME-compatible headshell mount.

wow! Thanks Rajiv. Yes it looks same. I had my doubts about Jelco. As from net I have not seen such arm from Jelco.
Thanks a lot.
Regards :)

BTW, I don't see a headshell. Is it missing or missing only from pic? But it looks like SME-compatible headshell mount.
Yes Headshell is tucked away. But it didn't had any marking either. Headshell mount is standard universal headshell type.
Regards

Rajiv beat me to it. A quick image search says it belongs to the Acos family but I still could not identify model number (but its not Lustre).

Hi hiten,

The Tonearm looks similar to my Kenwood KD3100 DD TT but the bearings are different.

N.Murali

Would go very well as a second arm on a certain vintage table Hiten ;) I hope you are successful in getting that done.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As analogadikt has said it is indeed Jelco SA-50 I have the same Headshell but sans Jelco name.
Thanks for the inputs everyone.
@stevie : As my pioneer has sentimental value attached to it and Technics is a "Black Beauty" which I would not like to modify. That means I have to buy one more turntable. :lol:
Regards

Last edited:
As analogadikt has said it is indeed Jelco SA-50 I have the same Headshell but sans Jelco name.
Thanks for the inputs everyone.
@stevie : As my pioneer has sentimental value attached to it and Technics is a "Black Beauty" which I would not like to modify. That means I have to buy one more turntable. :lol:
Regards

HI Hiten,
You will need o buy fully manual TT for easy application of adding this arm.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Sachin. Yes manual would be the right TT. and we can mod it by removing plinth etc. Lets see. It will be a huge DIY for me.
Regards

Thanks Sachin. Yes manual would be the right TT. and we can mod it by removing plinth etc. Lets see. It will be a huge DIY for me.
Regards

Hi Hiten,
Try to find micro Seiki-BL series,Technics SP-25/15.They were available on Audiokarma for not much price.

Regards,
Sachin

@Hiten: great opportunity to get 'idling'. There may still be a Lenco L75 with a Mumbai seller.

Good suggestions Joshua and Sachin.
Lots of ideas are coming to my mind.....

......I was thinking about salvaging good platter spindle from old TTs, New : Sand filled plinth, A specially designed (Copyright Hiten :lol:) Platter, Isolated motor and tonearm, built in tachometer and phonostage (Phonostage should be as close to cartridge as possible), A high quality motor from Lamington road ... lots of ideas.... very tempting.....
Only laziness and few personal commitments and work are obstacles. Lets see. Will start a new thread where I will put in my designs. At least it will be a virtual turntable.
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back