Why all the hype over Android

Compared to iOS, the Android (ICS) is a bit sluggish. I've seen this in the S3. Just scroll through the contact list and see how it struggles to refresh it self as opposed to the smoothness in iOS. It may not be too evident, but it's there. Android is yet to catch up with iOS interms of OS operating smoothness.

S3 is quite a high end phone right, and it cant scroll the contact list smoothly? I didnt see this problem in a 9k HTC. maybe you were running too many apps, maybe the contact list program bundled by samsung is buggy, OS is not at fault here.

Compared to iOS, the Android (ICS) is a bit sluggish. I've seen this in the S3. Just scroll through the contact list and see how it struggles to refresh it self as opposed to the smoothness in iOS. It may not be too evident, but it's there. Android is yet to catch up with iOS interms of OS operating smoothness.

That's because Android struggles to maintain a steady 60 fps. WP7 it is ALWAYS at 60 fps by default.
From what I just read, the latest update called "Jellybean" is designed to help fix the UI lag. It is refered to as "project butter" or something of the like.

Last edited:
S3 is quite a high end phone right, and it cant scroll the contact list smoothly? I didnt see this problem in a 9k HTC. maybe you were running too many apps, maybe the contact list program bundled by samsung is buggy, OS is not at fault here.

The software blames the hardware and vice versa, this is what happens with Android, and this is where apple is one step ahead . Their S/W and H/W communication is excellent. And some one earlier was mentioning about android supporting more number of devices than iOS , again here different phones have different HW so each phone has to be calibrated differently of the android OS, which will delay in the software upgrades . As opposed to iOS, 1 update and upgrade all devices. You don't have to wait.

Lets see how JellyBean comes to be w.r.t ICS.

2. I have used WP5 which sucked in comparison to the Android 2.x.x even... my HTC touch pro didnt even support skype with its factory installed WIN OS (dont remember which 1 exactly it was definitely < 6)

3. I Just my experience. Hope this helps more than anything else to some one at least ;)

super unlike bro :)

So much bias everywhere against microsoft...*shakes head in dismay*
Yes. Aren't there people in the world that you would just rather not deal with? :)

But the big-corporate computer world is all lose-lose: there are no goodies. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle just some top names in no particular order, the list goes on and on. It's a shame, but there it is: a bunch of not-very-nice people. I wish I had shares, though :eek:

I'm quite open about my bias, although I don't trust MS technically either, and successfully fought to keep them out of my server room. I am even cynical enough to wonder if selling something inferior has not always been part of their business plan, just so they they could sell the "improved" version the next year. Crazy theory? Not so crazy: Xenix was microsoft-badged Unix: they knew about a multi-tasking, multi-user operating system (they sold one) and yet they sold us Windows, which would not even do concurrent copy commands without collapsing.

Anyway, this isn't the MS-bashing thread --- but I certainly do not believe that anti-MS bias is anything to be ashamed of :cool:

More to the original question, why the hype over Android, I think it is created by the tweakers and the hackers, of which there are a large number. There must be a great number of people out there who buy an Android phone just because it matches their requirement list, and who aren't too bothered about OS wars.

s3 not scrolling smoothly... even stock s3 does it effortlessly..
i rooted mine.. just for kicks overclocked it to 1.8ghz and now set it to 1.0ghz with variable frequency to save power and it does everything effortlessly.

now about android vs apple/win os

once upon a time ... a street dog (android) meets a pet dog... (win/ios)

the pet dog is all clean with nice fur... has food on time and looks healthy. but tied with a strap
and street dog appears to be shaky with all dirt. he was offered the similar life
to be a pet and enjoy life.. the street dog refuses for the sake of FREEDOM. thats android..

choice is the answer and not which one is better.

yeah i might be a bit biased but i like tinkering...

about the issues with ICS.. yes its not as smooth as it should have been however jelly been is on the way.
custom roms are always there to remove the bloatwares.there are a lotta folks doing amazing job at xda..

Last edited:
I agree with all the people like theironhorse who say Android is great for customization... I ve rooted my S2 now with Jellybean Shell CM 9 and its Amaazingly efficient...!!!bloatwares and stock useless crappe out and In comes performance boost!!!

Yes. Aren't there people in the world that you would just rather not deal with? :)

But the big-corporate computer world is all lose-lose: there are no goodies. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle just some top names in no particular order, the list goes on and on. It's a shame, but there it is: a bunch of not-very-nice people. I wish I had shares, though :eek:

I'm quite open about my bias, although I don't trust MS technically either, and successfully fought to keep them out of my server room. I am even cynical enough to wonder if selling something inferior has not always been part of their business plan, just so they they could sell the "improved" version the next year. Crazy theory? Not so crazy: Xenix was microsoft-badged Unix: they knew about a multi-tasking, multi-user operating system (they sold one) and yet they sold us Windows, which would not even do concurrent copy commands without collapsing.

Anyway, this isn't the MS-bashing thread --- but I certainly do not believe that anti-MS bias is anything to be ashamed of :cool:

More to the original question, why the hype over Android, I think it is created by the tweakers and the hackers, of which there are a large number. There must be a great number of people out there who buy an Android phone just because it matches their requirement list, and who aren't too bothered about OS wars.

I too am increasingly getting alarmed at the "walled garden" approach that all these vendors are taking, and how they are forcing us to sign away our privacy even to do basic things like creating an address book.

For all the criticism that you can rightfully heap upon MS, it got a couple of things right - it never forced you to compromise your privacy with Windows, and it kept the OS largely an open unregulated platform where anyone could develop, sell, and buy any application that was written on a well established API. Sure, you could not access the source code but the extensive and well documented API made sure that you could do what you needed to do (barring the real low level stuff).

The Mozilla Firefox OS might provide an interesting alternative - rumour has it that ZTE might come out with a Firefox OS based touchscreen phone early next year.

I too am increasingly getting alarmed at the "walled garden" approach that all these vendors are taking, and how they are forcing us to sign away our privacy even to do basic things like creating an address book.
That is a very good point, and it is something that does worry me about Android: there at the back of it is Google, finding yet another way to soak up our lives. Use Maps? Google know where you are. Buy Apps? Google have your credit card.

It is also amazingly closed for something that is supposes to be open. It is a computer, your computer: want access to changing its configuration? You can't have it. Want to reload the operating system? You can't.

Well, before people rush to hit that quote key and assure me that all this is possible, yes, of course I know that, but it is possible because people have hacked it. No doubt the fact that it is an open system means that source code is available which facilitates that, but Google are, ultimately in control, and open doors are open because it's OK with Google, and the day that it isn't, the bars will come crashing down. Not to mention the lower tier of relationship with the manufacturers and what their warranty terms say we can and cannot do.

No, there are no goodies in this business, and Android is not a freedom gift from heaven. I might despise the other two big players even more, but that is just the story so far.

They blame the user! :D :D
Ah, that endearing history of messages from Microsoft. You have performed an illegal operation; Your program did something bad; To protect your computer we have...

But I never, ever saw, Sorry, just this once the operating system has failed to protect itself from the action of program it is running...

I'm an Android fan through and through. I used to be a die hard Symbian guy, but after the sad lack of apps for my E90, I quit Nokia and Symbian.

I have to agree with corElement when he says that Windows 7 Mobile seems to have got things right. I played with a friend's Lumia recently and it was surprisingly (to me) a very pleasant experience. The OS was flying, and the transitions were oh-so-smooth. Windows 8 seems to have taken this a bit further and it looks good, going by the videos. The hardware (Nokia and HTC, that I've seen videos of) also looks really good. If the Win8 mobile prices can match Android mobile prices, and if Win 8 can match the Google Play store in terms of apps (which is where the nub is), I'd be glad to try out a Lumia 920 next.

I think the killer word for an android is CHEAP. Before the android era or dare I say during the reign of iOS, a touch phone was a dream to the common man. I do agree Nokia and HTC had their versions of touch but nothing came close to an iOS experience unless you deposited your paycheck in their account.

Now, every lay man on earth can afford a touch phone and the user experience is at-least 90% of what you get over an iPhone.

So, you pay 1/4th the price of an iphone and get a user experience which is very close to an iphone (I say 90%). That makes android a steal.

I do not believe in the technological bla bla. I always thought every hardware/software is good as long as the target audience is right.

I was earlier using an android phone (Motorola defy ). Now I am a happy user of Nokia Lumia 710. I have been sofar extremely happy with window UI. Its so smooth to deal with . My earlier phone was to hang so often . Nokia 's experience is such I am waiting for Window 8 Nokia. The build quality is also superp. All in all a window convert.

I was earlier using an android phone (Motorola defy ). Now I am a happy user of Nokia Lumia 710. I have been sofar extremely happy with window UI. Its so smooth to deal with . My earlier phone was to hang so often . Nokia 's experience is such I am waiting for Window 8 Nokia. The build quality is also superp. All in all a window convert.

This is where I'm coming from as well. The Android experience on htc evo 3d, samsung galaxy s3 s2 and htc one x and v all made me confused and i felt lost in the interface with so many things which i just do not want. Gave me a headache, everything is so non linear. in WP7 and upcoming WP8 they have truly perfected no nonsense linear usability. I think the only android device which did not leave me confused as to where i was, is the present Samsung Nexus phone with default android ui but the nexus pentile screen drove me out of my mind. Can't stand pentile. Even the s3 screen is heavily saturated with green and fails to generate a pure white color like one finds on super lcd or super amoled +. I understand superamo led+ has a screen burnin issue if people leave the screen on for too long and nokia made a good decision by going with a modified version of the superlcd for the lumia 920.

Last edited:
Now what attracts people, generally, to it. I believe, android, is similar, to our Windows PC experience. So the people do not feel like they are leaving their comfort zone. (eg. sideloading apps, lots of free software). You can do pretty much anything, though it may not do it in the most efficient manner. A sense of freedom.

For many guys like me, it is the chance to simply tinker with it. Changing custom ROMs, changing the look and feel of the device, overclocking, underclocking.
I have a 2 year old( ancient in tech world) Samsung Galaxy S. Though Samsung will not officially roll out more updates, a strong dev community means that I have at my disposal a wide variety of custom roms based on the latest updates like ICS or JB.

I can download an mp3 and listen to it if I want, unlike on an iPhone where I wouldnt be allowed to do that. I would have to get another app to just do that.

This pretty much sums up why I am an Android fan ...... not that iOS is bad or cheap, its just I feel very very restricted with it.

That smooth OS transition is something I can live with coz it not that Android high end phone transitions are powerpoint slides .....

Specially with my Google Nexus with Jelly Bean having that Butter Project which corElement was talking about. It has brought that 60fps on Android as well.

Android as an OS is not sluggish or resource hog. Misconception here. Its open source so it is almost always optimized by the manufacturer for the product and its the quality of optimization that can make the end user experience good or bad, that is why different phones with same Android might feel different in their usage ...

This was the main reason I went for Nexus and now am I am a fan of the Nexus products. They provide pure Android experience as google intended with no hardware customization, and believe me the experience is as good as an iOS as far as smoothness goes. Plus it still is infact open source so if you feel you can still opt to Root and change the entire ROM or if that is not your cup of tea, put on different launchers to customize the phone if for any reason you do not like the stock Android..... so you see lot of options to get what you want ....

I never felt lost in the Jungle with Android .... It is rather, I first think what I need and hunt for it in that jungle and a satisfactory feeling after finding it, coz I do find it (that is imp), .... Meaning;;; if I have a thought, I wish I can change or customize my phone experience in this way ..... I look around and there it is ....... with iOS I still cannot share, I still need bloody itunes to do a transfer and same old boring matrix icon home screen .... forget about detailed customization, even jailbreaking (I have done that with my wife's iPhone 3GS) does not bring that level of change which Android brings .....

On the other hand ....Android has moved ahead miles when it comes to customization, and widgets ..... Plus its google and major google services are top class, and they make sure that they remain and provide top class experience specially with their own high end proprietary phones like Nexus. That is the reason I went for Nexus 7 for my TAB as well.

Regards
Sammy

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back