Why are 720p Plasma Tvs not 1366x768?

Hi Experts,

Why are 720p plasma Tvs not 1366x768? I have checked that most 720p plasma from LG/Samsung/Panasonic have 1024x768 displays which is the most common format for old CRT monitors.

Any reason for this peculiar pixel array for a 16:9 aspect ratio panel. I wonder - are they really 16:9 or a mere 4:3 stretched panel? Also how they render original 4:3 images?

iPads are 4:3 in dimension. The basic iPad is 1024 x 768 pixels which is XGA resolution. The iPad with retina display is 2048 x 1536 which is also a 4:3 resolution. Both have the same dimensions.

1024 x 768 is a 4:3 resolution usually found on old computer screens and older projectors, called XGA resolution (As against VGA which was 640 x 480) I don't think any plasmas should have this resolution as they are all 16:9. 1366 x 768 should be the minimum resolution on those screens. This is called WXGA (for Wide) as the screens were wider.

1024 x 768 is a 4:3 panel but which can also be used on 16:9 format.
But how?

Its because of pixel size - square or rectangle.

A screen's physical aspect ratio and the individual pixels' aspect ratio may not necessarily be the same.
An array of 1280 720 on a 16:9 display has square pixels, but an array of 1024 768 on a 16:9 display has rectangular pixels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

So you are having a tv which has rectangular pixels which increase your wide screen coverage. As a result comparing to a square pixel type display which could accommodate more pixel density your are loosing more pixels i.e. resolution depth.

But practically its hard to see the difference in smaller sizes at a reasonable distance. PQ also depends upon the panel quality, and video processing used.

There is no such thing as HD ready. Its market hyped by companies. If its HD then it has to be 1080P and 16:9 which uses square pixel without stretching.
Our very old computer monitors used 1024 x 768 or higher resolution for decades. But no body called them HD-Ready. Why?

Nobody called CRT TVs HD ready even though they can display higher resolution at varying levels.

Last edited:
I agree on the point Viper made regarding rectangular/square pixels.

My point is - If Old CRT monitors are able to display 1024x768 (XGA) why are they not called HD Ready. Are there separate yardstick for CRT and flat panels ? Are 720p Plasmas truly HD ready or are the manufacturers making us fool?

Refer Tech specs of
1. Samsung 43F4900 : http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS43F4900ARLXL-spec
2. LG 42PA4520 : http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-42PA4520-lcd-tv/technical-specifications
3. Panasonic 42x50D : http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/port...av/tv/vieraplasmatv/xseriesplasmatv/thp42x50d

Last edited:
I agree on the point Viper made regarding rectangular/square pixels.

My point is - If Old CRT monitors are able to display 1024x768 (XGA) why are they not called HD Ready.
Yeah. Same point I mentioned at the last post.

Are there separate yardstick for CRT and flat panels ? Are 720p Plasmas truly HD ready or are the manufacturers making us fool?

There is only 1 difference. HD Inputs.
CRTs did not have any HD inputs except few Sony and Philips models. PC Monitors always had VGA which is analog HD resolution.
Later on they came up with analog HD input i;e component but most companies restricted it to 480i or 480p only (DVD) as they were targeting more flourishing business that is newer flat displays.

720 Plasma could take HD input and they marketed as hd ready. Manufacturers know what is near future but they dont offer everything a first place. They will go step by step shouting you are getting latest state of art technology but they already plan what to offer in next generation.

Last edited:
May I rephrase the question:
Why are plasmas 1024x768 while LCD panels are 1366*768?
I guess, maybe because when plasma TVs were launched (remember they came much before LCD TVs of similar screen sizes), there was only SD TV transmission which was in 4:3 aspect ratio. The plasmas were designed keeping in this in mind, hence their native resolution is also 4:3.
Is'nt is true that even today, the HD ready plasmas are better in displaying SD content?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back