Why do just two floor standers are equally priced as 5.0 package?

chaitanyaht3

Hello All,

For a price around 30K we can either get 5.0 package or only 2 floor standers.

For example, either "taga tav606se 5.0 package" or "two floorstanders TAV-806F" .... or maybe slightly higher priced platinum series floorstanders.

What exactly is the logic that these two floor standers are equally priced as 5.0 package? Do they sound far better than 5.0 package? If so, why they sound good? Is it because of better and expensive drivers, and other components? or the enclosure is different? or some other logic ???

Please help me understand the logic there guys...

Thanks a lot...
Chaitanyaht3

my guess is that the retailers/distributors get stock as a 5.0 set, and getting buyers for a centre and surround speakers is pretty hard ( I see brand new surrounds and centre speakers for sale on olx, quikr etc all the time, and if you consider the extra headache, costs and overheads, most retailers would rather avoid it

Ya... im trying to understand the difference between two floor standers that cost around 30k, and the floorstanders that come in a 5.0 package, that costs the same price, from the same company may be.

I mean to say... for the same price of two FS, we are getting twoFS+Center+Surrounds. What is the logic here ??? Are the FS that come in 5.0package made with cheaper and less quality components??

Please be more specific here. Which exact models of 2 channel pair vs 5.0, exact prices of each and where did you see these prices?
You seem to be comparing prices of 606 5.0 with 806 pair.

Chaitanya,

As far as I see... 806F are having 8"bass drivers. And 606V3 FS are having 6.5" bass drivers. But still im unable to understand such a narrow price difference though.

In terms of quality and clarity of sound output, i have no clue.

specifications of two packages clears the answer.
The drivers, electronic parts, wood, finish makes the difference. That may result in sound quality.

TAV-806F

3-way, 4 drivers, floorstanding, Bi-wiring, front bassreflex port,
crossover points 600Hz 4kHz
TLIE Enclosure
High-Frequency Driver: 25mm (1"), TWG faceplate, silk dome
Midrange Driver: 133mm (5.25"), paper cone
Bass Driver: 2 x 203mm (8"), paper cone
Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-180W
Frequency Response: 30Hz-25KHz
Impedance: 6 ohm
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Dimensions (H x W x D): 108 x 24,5 x 31,2 cm (excl. spikes)
Weight (net): 36.8 kg pair

TAV-606F v.3

Design: 3-way, crossover points 500Hz 3.8kHz
High-Frequency Driver: 25mm (1"), TWG faceplate
Midrange Driver: 133mm (5.25")
Bass Driver: 2 x 165mm (6.5")
Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-120W
Frequency Response: 40Hz-25KHz
Impedance: 6 ohm
Sensitivity: 90 dB
Dimensions (H x W x D): 98 x 23 x 25 cm (excl. spikes)
Weight (net): 27 kg pair

Differences in both the floor standers are coloured.
Also, same size drivers (tweeter 1" and midrange 5.25" ) used in both may be different in SQ

Gcr,

Thank you for all the efforts !! Now Im starting to get the point.

No problem. If you are going to purchase speakers, just go to hifi showrooms and listen to various brands, you will like the sound signature of some. Then purchase which is in your budget.

I would not touch any of these 5 channel speakers packages at the budget end of the spectrum. They are mass market products where sound quality isn't the priority. The drivers are shared across the speaker units too. You'll notice that the mid range and tweeter will be exactly the same on the front, center and surround channels. There won't be much attention paid to the speaker cabinet construction, internal bracing, cross over network, etc. These speakers will have below average quality voice coils, spider units and there will be little to no attention paid to the internal acoustic design which is what makes a speaker really good.

I had experienced this almost a decade ago when Onkyo were selling an American brand speaker as a package. The sound was better than their own speakers but quality of construction was very poor. The cabinets were ultra light too for a floor stander. The speaker grills had the worst possible plastic fasteners. The rear terminals were no better than our local MX brand.

Avoid at all costs.

The price of any product is not always Total cost + margins but is actually what the buyer is willing to pay.:D

What would you suggest to buy?

I would put my money on a Polk Audio Rti A3 or a similar priced PSB than a floor stander as part of a 5 speaker package system. Floor standers are hard to get right owing to the large internal volume.

Should be an easy guess as to what engineering (or lack off) would have gone into a mid tower/floor stander speaker than costs just 12k!

I would not touch any of these 5 channel speakers packages at the budget end of the spectrum. They are mass market products where sound quality isn't the priority. The drivers are shared across the speaker units too. You'll notice that the mid range and tweeter will be exactly the same on the front, center and surround channels. There won't be much attention paid to the speaker cabinet construction, internal bracing, cross over network, etc. These speakers will have below average quality voice coils, spider units and there will be little to no attention paid to the internal acoustic design which is what makes a speaker really good.

I had experienced this almost a decade ago when Onkyo were selling an American brand speaker as a package. The sound was better than their own speakers but quality of construction was very poor. The cabinets were ultra light too for a floor stander. The speaker grills had the worst possible plastic fasteners. The rear terminals were no better than our local MX brand.

Avoid at all costs.

Taga has several products line ups offered at various price levels. In my opinion, you will get the same drivers/tweeters in any brand line ups - Take an example of recent Polk Signature. Bookshelf are rather preferred for music than movies in my opinion. This 806F weights 37 kgs (pair) and top of TAV series. While we have many FM overwhelmed with performance of 606SE model, the performance of 806 should fairly be above in my opinion. Overall, its a better buy for the ones with limited budget as we have many FM satisfied with their purchase (limited budget). Adding a subwoofer to these will help to fill any gaps in HT set up.

Taga has several products line ups offered at various price levels.

I have no experience with Taga. In fact; I had never heard of this company till a few years ago. I'd put my money on Polk Audio, if the option is available for the same price. Like I said the first time around, anything that is at the budget end of the spectrum is going to be a compromise in every way. To be honest, I'd put my money on our home grown Norge TWR125MKIII than a Taga.

No such thing that a stand mount works better for music. It is the quality of the speaker that matters.

For a price around 30K we can either get 5.0 package or only 2 floor standers.

For example, either "taga tav606se 5.0 package" or "two floorstanders TAV-806F" .... or maybe slightly higher priced platinum series floorstanders.

What exactly is the logic that these two floor standers are equally priced as 5.0 package? Do they sound far better than 5.0 package? If so, why they sound good? Is it because of better and expensive drivers, and other components? or the enclosure is different? or some other logic ???

I own some of the Taga Harmony Platinum products (LCR 60, SW10 v.2, TCI-100R) and have heard the TAV series 5.0 speaker packages at my friend place.. They are brilliant for what they are priced..

If i were to put my money on a speaker, it would be Taga Harmony first..for its exceptional pricing..

TAV series is the most affordable 5.0 speaker packages aval in India.. I think they are mass produced unlike any other series and hence retails for lesser cost..

In all these years, suddenly something is affordable to many enthusiasts here (India)..It is only because of Taga TAV 5.0 speaker packages for 20 ~ 25K, most forum members here on a budget are able to enjoy a good 5.0 experience for a decent 50K budget.. else they have to look for "used gear" (or) get suggestions "increase your budget, worth looking xx brands" and settle for AVR + 2.0..

IMO, how a Polk is to US, Wharfedale is to UK & Europe, Taga Harmony is for India..(If not now, atleast pretty soon).. :)

I have no experience with Taga. In fact; I had never heard of this company till a few years ago. I'd put my money on Polk Audio, if the option is available for the same price. Like I said the first time around, anything that is at the budget end of the spectrum is going to be a compromise in every way. To be honest, I'd put my money on our home grown Norge TWR125MKIII than a Taga.

No such thing that a stand mount works better for music. It is the quality of the speaker that matters.

Well, that's your opinion! Although these are budget systems, they haven't disappointed us!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back