Why have speakers and especially home theatre speakers become so expensive?

During Covid19 and Lock downs Most of the businesses suffered in multiple ways from Cash, Personnel Scarcity to Supply Chain issues. The businesses needed Cash to Stay afloat. The Businessman threatened to close businesses instead (of Infusing their own money & ) of taking losses, which will give rise to unemployment.

Dumb people heading Govts all over World Decided that its Wise to Print More and More Money and Infuse into the System. More Money was absorbed by greedy businessman instantly but things became more dearer, Coz printing money was easier than to address actual scarcity of Raw materials. More Money, Less Goods and Hifi Stuff isn't immune to world Economics so Prices Soared!!!
Prices have only One Direction to move, they Rarely Come Down ; In hifi goods even if the prices come down it won't be from MRP point but largely by enhanced discounts. So buy from Local Dealers and Negotiate to best of your abilities.

Traditional audio systems are getting to a niche / luxury stage. Plus Lower demand, supply constraints and inflation.
Contrast this with soundbars: Sony/LG/Jbl have dolby systems for 8k-15k. You can get a local brand (boat, zebronics etc) dolby soundbar for as low as 3.5k!!

Just for example Marantz SR6015 AVR sold for around 1 plus lacs just before covid shot up to 2Plus Lacs after covid, which shows the same unit sold for 100% price increase, which shows hifi enthusiasts never stop buying the stuff to satisfy their soul and they are crazy to spend and also womens will not stop buying tomato if sold for 200inr per kg too. Both food and hifi are part of human life and it will be bought at quoted price.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the prices of AVR's. I got my Marantz SR 7010 in 2016 for which I paid around 1,50,000.00. Today, the corresponding model, the Cinema 40 costs around 4 lakhs. That is a 15% compounded increase over 6 years !!!! Average inflation rate in India during the past 10 years is around 6%.

If the AVR was reasonably priced, I would have loved to get the Cinema 40 home today but that the current prices, I am pretending to be quite happy with my Quads and my Crowns.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing looking at the prices of AVR's. I got my Marantz SR 7010 in 2016 for which I paid around 1,50,000.00. Today, the corresponding model, the Cinema 40 costs around 4 lakhs. That is a 15% compounded increase over 6 years !!!! Average inflation rate in India during the past 10 years is around 6%.

If the AVR was reasonably priced, I would have loved to get the Cinema 40 home today but that the current prices, I am pretending to be quite happy with my Quads and my Crowns.

Very true Ssf, the prices have gone through the roof. In 2018, the Marantz SR 7012 was around 1,50,000/- and I had bought the previous years model SR 7011 at 1,25,000/-.

After covid, the price changed drastically with the shortage of chips.
But overall the low rupee value due to inflation, high import duties taxes along with dealer prerogatives are to be blamed.

Even I don't feel inclined to pay so much as of now and will hold on to my old avr as long as I can since I don't find anything drastically different in the HT scenario apart from superficial features as of today.

will hold on to my old avr as long as I can
Hi Nitin,

Unfortunately, in my case, I don't have an AVR right now as my 7010 has once again gone for repairs and this time, I don't think I will get it back anytime soon. In spite of this, I don't feel like purchasing new AVRs at the current prices.

Hi Nitin,

Unfortunately, in my case, I don't have an AVR right now as my 7010 has once again gone for repairs and this time, I don't think I will get it back anytime soon. In spite of this, I don't feel like purchasing new AVRs at the current prices.
True Ssf, even I would have done the same and spent more time in stereo listening as there is no Vfm with these insane prices. Nothing is indispensable.
I would have probably gone with the pre-owned route with avr's unless the prices stabilise

Hi Nitin,

Same here. Whenever my trusty SR6011 of 10 years dies. I dont see myself spending the 3L+ to replace it. Will most likely sell all my speakers and settle for a sound bar. Iam already taking meaningful steps to integrate HT into the 2 Ch.setup. Will not have surround sound or atmos, but i can live with it.

Iam already taking meaningful steps to integrate HT into the 2 Ch.setup
This is what I have done.
https://www.amazon.in/Bi-Directiona...ix=audio+signal+splitter,aps,195&sr=8-36&th=1

The output from the DAC is split and one goes to the amp of the FL channels and the other to the amp of the sub-woofer.

Two inputs can be connected to this device and changed with the press of a button. I have connected my computer via USB to the DAC and to this device for music and other stuff like Youtube etc. The other input is from the TV headphone out.

I was not successful getting audio out from USB of the TV. Guess it does not work on my model of Sony.

Quite happy with this setup.

Apologies for the OT:

This is what I have done.
https://www.amazon.in/Bi-Directional-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Speakers/dp/B098PY8YBY/ref=sr_1_36?crid=1QRSP171STZVB&keywords=audio+signal+splitter&qid=1695467229&sprefix=audio+signal+splitter,aps,195&sr=8-36&th=1

The output from the DAC is split and one goes to the amp of the FL channels and the other to the amp of the sub-woofer.

Two inputs can be connected to this device and changed with the press of a button. I have connected my computer via USB to the DAC and to this device for music and other stuff like Youtube etc. The other input is from the TV headphone out.

I was not successful getting audio out from USB of the TV. Guess it does not work on my model of Sony.

Quite happy with this setup.

Apologies for the OT:
Thanks for the heads up :)

I actually have two preamps with twin outputs. So I could always add a subwoofer to either. Now iam finalising a dac cum preamp ( I need one analogue input for Vinyl ), with hdmi-in and twin pre-outs. So I could consolidate everything music/ movies into a single box.

Once the new dac comes...I will shift the AVR to my bank locker, for my daughter's wedding 🤣

Thanks for the heads up :)

I actually have two preamps with twin outputs. So I could always add a subwoofer to either. Now iam finalising a dac cum preamp ( I need one analogue input for Vinyl ), with hdmi-in and twin pre-outs. So I could consolidate everything music/ movies into a single box.
Hehe, I would have expected nothing less ... :)

Wow! There was a time when Marantz receivers were cheaper in India than International pricing. Here it is 2.9 lac. So approx 30% higher in India now.
Cheers,
Sid

Wow! There was a time when Marantz receivers were cheaper in India than International pricing. Here it is 2.9 lac. So approx 30% higher in India now.
Cheers,
Sid
At this rate, my grand children will have to buy a ticket to see a marantz in a museum :eek:

Cheers,
Sid
Prices are quite lower in UAE too. I am going to Abu Dhabi next month but I really don't know if I should go through the hassle of getting one from there and if custom duties are levied, it might work around to the same pricing as in India.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back