Why in India Customised audio systems are not popular

Which country is Customized music systems popular ? from what i understand, when people want their music to sound exactly how they waht it, they get one with a built in equalizer. Anyway most folks dont want a complicated separates based system.
At first customisations is not complication . To avoid complication customisation happens. Who not prefer a single touch will solve all complication. That is why hi prices amplifier is monoblock. Complication happens when digital comes like streamer thing. But customisation of streamer based DAC or interface can get more easier.
One who uses such can elaborate.

Coming to that point same as the things "used systems" or "china systems " but not customised. Why people sell their system when they are satisfied.
I have not seen any diy builder or customised system holder selling their system.

Dissatisfactions happens.
Other reasons can be-
1.Poor resale value like branded one(say Marantz).

2.May be some emotions attached to the project especially with DIY attempt.

Other reasons can be-
1.Poor resale value like branded one(say Marantz).

2.May be some emotions attached to the project especially with DIY attempt.
Yes sir, not only emotions but also hard work,
I have been using rod elliott p83 for over 13 years with out any wear or tear. Still surprises me.

What are the chances of Hifivision Special generic opensource DIY class A amplifier Project based on suppose JLH, or Hiraga (Because readily available opensource schematic and documentation) with proper well thought of layout of PCB including powersupply speaker protection and may be soft start with Some critical area genuine parts groupbuy imported ? Possible ?
Regards

Hi diy guys,
Its my concern that why in india customised audio systems are not popular . Is it for lack of expertise or lack of high quality material or lack of intetest or lack of faithfullness.
I have been designing amps and consulting over 20 years and it has been a battle with brand and faith. But these days portable china made cheap system has changed the taste o people most, expecting boom boom and chik chik every where.very less demand for clear audio.
Can't forget those days when a valve amplifier satisfied ( till now ) us , or a stereo designs satisfied us. Every where in the net is cheap china made class D amp . Some are good some are worse.
No chance for audio adventures.

???????

On the one hand you say you make ‘customised systems’ and on the other hand you are criticising your customer‘s musical taste and requirements. The two don’t add up. If you are keen on providing a certain sound signature, then you define your standardised product and sell it by convincing buyers to like its sound. On the other hand, if you enjoy customising, then understand each customer’s taste without judging it - understand their age, background, listening habits, musical knowledge, genre preferences, room specifics and so on...and build a system that gives them exactly what they want (without deciding what they need)... even if it sounds boom boom or chik chik to you. Not everyone listens to vocal/mids dominant music. A lot of new listeners listen to genres that accentuate the highs and lows and don’t have much musically in the mids. So no wonder they want systems that focus on highs and lows or V shaped curve.

And this too will vary from person to person and time to time.

Big reasons why people go for brands is the resale value and aesthetics, most people plan sale off their equipment in few years time (some even decide when before buying). Regarding aesthetics which can be an even more bigger point, it doesnt make sense to compare the finish of well respected brands to custom market products. One has to reluctantly accept the finish of a custom market product even chinese brands included. Build a luxman or mcintosh like finish and it surely will change the mind of any listener before he even listens.

I guess one has to live with a particular system for a few years to realize what he is missing or what he wants better. I did that. And I know what exactly I want now in my kind of sound. So I went with DIY speakers without considering branding or the impossibility of selling them on, if I wish to move on. So each to themselves I guess :)

On the one hand you say you make ‘customised systems’ and on the other hand you are criticising your customer‘s musical taste and requirements. The two don’t add up. If you are keen on providing a certain sound signature, then you define your standardised product and sell it by convincing buyers to like its sound. On the other hand, if you enjoy customising, then understand each customer’s taste without judging it - understand their age, background, listening habits, musical knowledge, genre preferences, room specifics and so on...and build a system that gives them exactly what they want (without deciding what they need)... even if it sounds boom boom or chik chik to you. Not everyone listens to vocal/mids dominant music. A lot of new listeners listen to genres that accentuate the highs and lows and don’t have much musically in the mids. So no wonder they want systems that focus on highs and lows or V shaped curve.

I do support yoù very much. And also appreciate your thought. And I dont want to criticise my customers also. I do exactly what you depicts in your valuable comment.
Welcome

agree, also room is more than half the sound and even if one knows what sound he wants, one cannot be sure that he is going to get that exact sound by modifying his room, or by changing speakers or by changing amps or using some eq, Trying is the key only. tweaks to the room can benefit most imo. So if one is really inclined to getting exact sound he likes he moves towards doing some real diy or or do a lots of research and trial himself , its not possible to expect someone else to build a system fully tailored for someone else. On the other hand, if he is not so particular about what he wants he moves towards standard brands.

When you say audio lacks personal preferences, i think these personal preferences are always subjective and relative to one's own experience especially in his home with his own equipment, and one cannot just objectively list them for someone and expect that the other guy will make something that's totally going to satisfy the listener. Definetely if one is just starting out in audio, it doesnt even make sense to objectively list the requirements. This hobby is all about compromises with something or the other.

Very very well put across :)

I've heard several different speakers, but all were a combination of different attributes, some liked and others not so much. Even DIY is not without its risks, as the designer doesn't have the same room or source or taste in music. But for me personally it was a better starting point. Besides my chain is heavily DSP tuned to extract the sound I exactly want . So I wanted extremely tweakable speakers too. So I must admit Iam a very happy bunny :)

Ha ha ... the irony! I am glad you pointed it out.

When you purchase an amplifier and a speaker and arrange at your room and correct your acoustics its your DIY.

When you purchase a kit, transformer , power supply, and other accessories and assemble all parts and build an amplifier its your DIY.

When you purchase some parts and soldier its to a board and build an amplifier its your DIY.

when you design a new circuit , R&D on it , and finally make it work superb then its your DIY.

So every one DIY.
Every brand is DIY.
There are learnet people behind every audio gear. They are also tuning gear by the laid guideline. These are also DIY.

So DIY does not represent poor perform, ugly looking, non resellable gear. If you can not DIY , some other one will be there to DIY your staff.
By this way a community borne.

Happy Listening.

When you purchase an amplifier and a speaker and arrange at your room and correct your acoustics its your DIY.

When you purchase a kit, transformer , power supply, and other accessories and assemble all parts and build an amplifier its your DIY.

When you purchase some parts and soldier its to a board and build an amplifier its your DIY.

when you design a new circuit , R&D on it , and finally make it work superb then its your DIY.

So every one DIY.
Every brand is DIY.
There are learnet people behind every audio gear. They are also tuning gear by the laid guideline. These are also DIY.

So DIY does not represent poor perform, ugly looking, non resellable gear. If you can not DIY , some other one will be there to DIY your staff.
By this way a community borne.

Happy Listening.
Er, what?

So every one DIY.
Every brand is DIY.
That's a sweeping generalization, though it's a good oversimplification to derive inspiration, to compete with branded products; but overlooking glaring differences on a false premise hardly yields any dividends.
There are quite respectable local brands which we never consider as DIY. This is the least biased audio forum as far as DIY products go, in my experience. We actually promote and celebrate DIY efforts a lot. But, The difference is not as bleak as you are trying to make it appear.

BTW, you seem to have inadvertently answered the original question of the thread yourself...
Thanks
Ciao

So here comes the conclusion

1. Customised systems are inferior to branded products in terms if looks, performance and reliability. ( partial support)

2. Some diy guy who made customised systems are less informative and using inferior parts. (Fully supported, as I am quit experience with many of these when consulting people who are using such systems).

3. Diy or customised systems do not have resell value. ( supported but why do sell when satisfied).

4. Now a days even branded audio staff are hard to sell, so customised are very far with respect to branded and CHINA one.(fully supported, please do not buy chinese its the time to ban them).

5. There is no review of such products which will be reference so to own one ( thats a great problem, even who owns then satisfied or not satisfied never gives review).

Many thanks to you people for giving such insights on this topic. I really appreciate each one of your insights.
so it is an appeal to my audiophile friends please keep a positive watch on our local products before buying any imported products to appreciate "Make in India" concept.
And please do a review of local products who own such to inform people about the pros and cons of such gear.
Happy Listening and Thanks you people.
My next thread would be " Local product owners thread " soon.
Please give some insights and suggestions.
Thanks again people.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back