Why my subwoofer is not hitting hard

karteek23

AVR: Yamaha RXv585
Left, right, center: BIC AMERICA VENTURI
Newly added sub from TAGA HARMONY TSW-212SE.
PLAYER : Nvidia shield tv pro.

Sound from taga harmony tsw 212se is very low . I tried playing content from Netflix ATMOS, few downloaded clips of DOLBY

I kept volume fully, phase 0°, crossover 80.
Connected by Amazon basics cable LfE in(subwoofer) to Yamaha rxv585 subwoofer preout (1).

Yamaha speaker configuration:

Front, left speakers set to <small>
Subwoofer <Use>
Phase< normal>
EXTRA BASS: ON

Please help me.

Sound from taga harmony tsw 212se is very low . I tried playing content from Netflix ATMOS, few downloaded clips of DOLBY

Connected by Amazon basics cable LfE in(subwoofer) to Yamaha rxv585 subwoofer preout (1).

Subwoofer <Use>
Phase< normal>

Please help me.
Could you please explain what exactly you meant when you say "hitting hard", are you expecting to "feel" the gun shots for example and not only listen to them? Is the sub audible at all? Did you try listening with and without sub to feel the difference its making in the system? Is your content OTT or lossless formats offline ones?

sorry for many questions but getting LFE to work as per your expectations is a longer journey than getting rest of system components work well.

Subwoofer <Use>
Phase< normal>

Please help me.
Assuming all settings are OK, there maybe a bass suckout in the room. Try another position 😉.

Could you please explain what exactly you meant when you say "hitting hard", are you expecting to "feel" the gun shots for example and not only listen to them? Is the sub audible at all? Did you try listening with and without sub to feel the difference its making in the system? Is your content OTT or lossless formats offline ones?

sorry for many questions but getting LFE to work as per your expectations is a longer journey than getting rest of system components work well.
"Feel" only.
I played Kong from prime , the initial helicopter vs Kong sequence my sub sounded very low.

I downloaded few loseless 4k trailers d0lby5.1 aswell.

Can you do the following please?

1 - Take the sub to a friend (if you do not have any other way to test it); try in his system. If it works fine there then your Amp could be the issue. If it doesn't work then the sub is the issue.
2 - Post a photo of the subwoofer menu in your AVR here so maybe people can figure out if anything in there is missing.
3 - Does your AVR come with a calibration mic? Have you setup it up using the calibration mic? If not, maybe give that a try.

Sound from taga harmony tsw 212se is very low .
Subwoofer not “hitting hard” and low volume are two different things.
1) which of the above are you trying to fix?
2) what’s the size of your room, and is this an open space?

Try This
1. Phase - 0 - 180 try both and see if it makes a difference
2. Do the Subwoofer crawl and find the optimum place for the subwoofer in correlation to your sitting position ( google Subwoofer crawl for more Info) .
3.. Check the AVR for Subwoofer Gain and see if that is set too low - Increase the gain
4. If hitting hard means mid bass slam . try higher crossover setting 150 - 200 - the only caveat is that the sub would get localized .

You must be sitting in a null ( where the room cancels some bass frequencies ) try playing the same demo and listen from some different locations at ear level and see if you can find the hitting slam in that position. If you find the bass sounds better in other positions other than your listening position, then you need to change your sub position. Also move the sub to a corner to check if you get the desired effect

Try changing the phase to 90 degree
Don't expect too much though

It used to work for me during my car audio days

Other than that it just might be possible you could be unlucky with the synergy or choice of your equipment

One thing can be considered that Tags sub's are not known for great performance.One FM struggled to get best with Taga and finally satisfied with Bic.
Try reducing subwoofer distance which help to get fast bass delivery.

One thing can be considered that Tags sub's are not known for great performance.One FM struggled to get best with Taga and finally satisfied with Bic.
Try reducing subwoofer distance which help to get fast bass delivery.
212se is good sub.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back