Will a WiFi Adapter work with WDTV Live?

Will something like this: Buy Networking in India | Iomega Wi-Fi Adapter | Computers & Accessories India - Infibeam.com

work with WDTV Live? As in I plug this in the wdtv live (USB) and then i connect it to my laptop's hard drive via wifi. is that possible? or is setting up the wifi connection an impossibility on a 'dumb' device like wdtv live?

1. What did you buy finally ?
2. Do you get two devices - one to plug into the notebook's usb port and the other to the WDTV Live ?
3. Does it stream audio too ?

2. Do you get two devices - one to plug into the notebook's usb port and the other to the WDTV Live ?

You need only one wifi adaptor. You can use the existing laptop wifi to create a wifi hotspot using softwares like 'connectify', 'maryfi' etc. provided you are using windows 7. I tried connectify, but got BSOD, so later tried maryfi and it works fine. You can share your internet connection also using these SWs. I can now access my laptop from my himedia hd600b using wifi and vice versa.

I use the asus n150 with WDTV with a wireless router.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Networks- ASUS USB-N10

I am happy with audio streaming. Video is slow and hangs. So if your main purpose is audio streaming go for this.

To add more when i say video streaming is slow/hangs, it is opening HD video files (5GB plus MKV's) from a network drive. Your youtube and low quality video content will just play fine.
Opening and playing audio (FLAC etc) from a network drive works very well.

Last edited:
okay so this is a bit scary. what if i buy one and it doesnt stream videos properly? that'd be a letdown.

what sort of wifi adapter would i need for proper streaming? please help, will need this soon.

go to wd website. They have a list of compatible wifi adapters. I bought a linksys one last week.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back