WILLSENTON R300 SET 300b

Tube preamp is even a taller call than a tube amp. Most of them do more harm than good to the chain.

One can be just fine even with a 3.5 to 5 wpc tube amp but then be prudent on your choice of speakers.

I don't know about harm, but if you mean altering the signal then that is precisely why I am interested in them.

No real experience with tube amps in my system, only one tube pre. That isn't enough power for me. Heard some tubes over the years at dealers but I can't come to a conclusion unless I hear it on my system. The tube pre I tried left me curious to try more, I want to get around to it and hope to do so next year. Since I saw your post thought I would ask about power in case a tube amp was possible for me.

Hi Satish..as Murali said above, 8 watts might not be enough for 88 db speakers, unless it is a very near field setup. The most powerful SET's top off at 22 watts if Iam not wrong. So you might find that push-pull EL34's as suggested might be a better fit with your speakers. Some amps come with the option of Triode or ultralinear operation in these push-pull amps. The triode operation seems to sound a little more organic to my ears. So this might be something you want to consider. All the best :)
Hold your tongue man! That too on a Willsenton thread? The gall! They do 48w X 2 Class A SET no problem!

I don't know about harm, but if you mean altering the signal then that is precisely why I am interested in them.

No real experience with tube amps in my system, only one tube pre. That isn't enough power for me. Heard some tubes over the years at dealers but I can't come to a conclusion unless I hear it on my system. The tube pre I tried left me curious to try more, I want to get around to it and hope to do so next year. Since I saw your post thought I would ask about power in case a tube amp was possible for me.
In more than 10 years of listening to gear at friends, the only time I perceived the much touted depth and layering was in a friends treated room with a KR audio P135 DHT preamp running a SS parasound power amp. Prior to this was an Ayon tube preamp with the same parasound amp, So I knew it was the KR doing the magic. And on further research, read that DHT has that holography in spades. Never heard another DHT again, but if you are on the lookout for a tube preamp, then please do keep DHT preamp's on your short list. All the best :)

Great observation and Welcome to Jaipur. Can demo a similar magic from another DHT tube, favorite of Japs and would be soon working on another DHT tube called MH4.

DHTs in linestage are something to be experienced and cannot be put into words. The DHT Pre gave one Bel Canto pre, run for money and it was no match in sonics driving a huge pair of Pass monoblocks.
Haha...thanks :)

Will defintiely drop in anytime Iam in that part of the country sir :)

In more than 10 years of listening to gear at friends, the only time I perceived the much touted depth and layering was in a friends treated room with a KR audio P135 DHT preamp running a SS parasound power amp. Prior to this was an Ayon tube preamp with the same parasound amp, So I knew it was the KR doing the magic. And on further research, read that DHT has that holography in spades. Never heard another DHT again, but if you are on the lookout for a tube preamp, then please do keep DHT preamp's on your short list. All the best :)
I am actually on the lookout for a KR 135 as one of the preamp options. Heard a lot of good things about that particular preamp. If your friend wants to let it go, please ping me.

I will take note of what you mention though I am more interested in tone. I had made a short note of some options, I have it saved somewhere but from memory many of them were not available new or had to be imported. IIRC my front runner when I became occupied with other things was a DHT from Supratek.

I will take note of what you mention though I am more interested in tone. I had made a short note of some options, I have it saved somewhere but from memory many of them were not available new or had to be imported. IIRC my front runner when I became occupied with other things was a DHT from Supratek.
Supratek's are lovely though expensive :)

There is a guy who makes DHT preamps in the UK on a need to built basis, but they look exactly that....a one man job in a tin shed. But the asking price is reasonable and depending on configuration could vary between 600 to 1000 pounds the last time I checked. So that option is there for the brave and desperate ones among us 🤣

But the 10Y ones from " Thomas Mayer" in the "Vinyl Saviour" site are supposedly among the very best, and are priced accordingly :p.

The tube magic to my ears really starts at EL34 and improves as we go lower in power, though I've never heard the holy grail 2A3's at 2 watts.
I am currently building a 2a3 amplifier and is under designbstage past 2+ months. Expected to complete design by end November and procure all parts by Jan / Feb next year. Should be completed by March / April next year. It's a single stage, direct coupled design.

Do tube amplifiers only shine with high sensitivity speakers. No. It’s a big fallacy. Try driving an 88dB BS with excellent impedance curve from an SE tube amp and you would find yourself in musical heaven.

Impedance curves are the frequency vs change in resistance of your speakers that any amp would see. For tube amps to deliver good constant power to the speakers, it should be as linear as possible.

Reason: Whatever impedance load the secondary of output transformers gets from the speakers, it gets reflected to primary and hence changes the efficiency of the power tubes accordingly both in terms of power delivery and distortion figures. It’s a dynamic change over musical spectrum and must be maintained within limits to bring out the best out of tube amps.

A well mated SE tube amp can bring out staggering representation just at 1 watt driving a 89dB speaker.

In my books, Holy Grail doesn’t even start from 2A3….
@yogibear can you share the SPL & Impedance plot of the BS speakers that you are mentioning? Or if you can share the model nbr ofcthe speaker been discussed? Thanks.

Tube preamp is even a taller call than a tube amp. Most of them do more harm than good to the chain.

One can be just fine even with a 3.5 to 5 wpc tube amp but then be prudent on your choice of speakers.
I am driving a 3+ 3 watts (@6 ohms load) with my 95dB equalized speaker. I never go beyond 8'o clock volume position. I am more than happy with the level / loudness. Can't ask for more.

Hari, the BS stands at 88dB at 8 ohms. The tweeter is truncated faceplate tweeter D25TG extended magnet and 7” carbon cone Peerless Woofer, both made in Denmark. For impedance plot, need to dig them out, not handy. It’s rear ported design. It’s DIY. With my current builds, I cannot play it above 30-40% of volume.
Ok, is this a DIY speaker? If not, the back side should have a model number?

Supratek's are lovely though expensive :)

There is a guy who makes DHT preamps in the UK on a need to built basis, but they look exactly that....a one man job in a tin shed. But the asking price is reasonable and depending on configuration could vary between 600 to 1000 pounds the last time I checked. So that option is there for the brave and desperate ones among us 🤣

But the 10Y ones from " Thomas Mayer" in the "Vinyl Saviour" site are supposedly among the very best, and are priced accordingly :p.

I had to google this and it seems most of it is amplifiers. I've never heard of him before, is it any good? The prices are equal to some expensive "Hi-Fi" brands, is it worth the asking price?

I had to google this and it seems most of it is amplifiers. I've never heard of him before, is it any good? The prices are equal to some expensive "Hi-Fi" brands, is it worth the asking price?
His 10Y preamp is supposed to be excellent, and among the very best out there, and costs accordingly. Though I've never followed-up on his amplifiers :)

After a month wait finally Willsenton r300b arrived yesterday. It's unbelievable how good the craftsmanship is for the price. It's damn heavy at 25KG. Its huge amp.

Pairing it with a loaner Harbeth SHL5 which are 86DB, that 8 watts are driving the speakers with authority. Low end is amazingly good.

Little disappointed that I am not getting midrange sweetness (could be speakers as well) need to give some time for tubes to settle in.

Overall great 300B SET amp for the price.

View attachment 73960View attachment 73959
If you're right, the media is not as sweet as you might expect.
I imagine they have done it for all those who need scalpel noise,
I have changed the original 300B and 274B for a game of BLACK COSSOR and voila, the magic is there.
Greetings

Any one has this new 300B set amp from Willsenton? or any tube aficionado can share opinion on the tubes , rectifier, transformers etc used?

Two 5U4G vacuum tubes are used for high-voltage rectification. 1pcs of 6SL7 and 2pcs of 6SN7 vacuum tubes are used for the voltage amplifier and preamp stage.
The power amplifier stage uses two Willsenton custom-made 300B vacuum tubes for single-end Class A power amplification.

Negative feedback circuit design

Thanks
The media is not as sweet as one would expect.
I imagine they have done it for all those who need scalpel noise,
I have changed the original 300B and 274B for a game of BLACK COSSOR and voila, the magic is there.
Greetings

In my conscience i can not think of selling this amp. So after owning this amp for 6 months i can say its junk. Had too many problems, tube arcing of rectifier, loud pops etc. Turns out both stock rectifier and 6sl7 are faulty was offered to replace for free. Even after replacing still have issues. Initially thought i must have gotten lemon, but it does look a like junk from the measurements

Really surprised at glowing reviews from all the popular reviewers.
If what you say is true, it is clear that you have had the ugly duckling.
What bad luck for you
It is an amazing amplifier for the price.
It doesn't have the sweet sound of the midrange, but I think it's because of wanting to please everyone who needs the sound of the scalpel.
But I have placed the Whole Set of Black COSSOR on it. 300B, 274B and 6SN7 and voila the magic exists.

It's too bad you're so far away from me. Would have been awesome to have a shootout between homegrown Lyrita audio 2a3 and this 300b. I find myself enjoying Virens 2 stage 3 watt 2a3 more than my solid state amp at much higher price points where it comes to quality of sound and enjoyment of listening.
My 2a3 amplifier is a single stage design.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back