Windows 10 blue screen of death

Sean de Silva

This happened regularly with that godawful Win98 which was notorious for the blue screen of death. Thankfully I got through 18 years with WinXP relatively unscathed. Of late, this occurs sporadically with my Win10 Home 64bit desktop. After booting up to home screen, the system suddenly goes into an endless loop of blue screen + restart until I force shut the pc from the socket. I've learnt that this could be due to certain OS updates which are incompatible with antivirus software specifically Bitdefender(iirc the stop error code on the blue screen pertained to Bitdefender). Without any intervention(OS update rollback) this issue seems to resolve by itself hence the conundrum. Has anyone else experienced the blue screen of death with Win10 and Bitdefender or any other antivirus?

We actually don't need any other anti virus software when windowa defender does a very good job.

Also reslot the RAM modules once and check

We actually don't need any other anti virus software when windowa defender does a very good job.

Also reslot the RAM modules once and check
I did encounter a faulty RAM in May and replaced it with a new DDR3 module. Ive cleaned and swapped both strips and am pretty sure the blue screen has nothing to do with the RAM as it showed an error pertaining to Bitdefender. Prior to RAM replacement this is what showed up on screen.
1628850682379.jpg

I did encounter a faulty RAM in May and replaced it with a new DDR3 module. Ive cleaned and swapped both strips and am pretty sure the blue screen has nothing to do with the RAM as it showed an error pertaining to Bitdefender. Prior to RAM replacement this is what showed up on screen.
View attachment 60986
That looks like a graphics error. Unplug and replug the monitor cable. If using a graphics card, remove and reseat that

That looks like a graphics error. Unplug and replug the monitor cable. If using a graphics card, remove and reseat that
Not using a graphics card. Unplugged and replugged everything but that screen persisted. Anyways that was all in the past prior to replacing the RAM which works well till date.

Uninstall Bitdefender and use the PC for couple of days. By this you will know if defender is root cause.
If issue persists, we can check/brainstorm further

Uninstall Bitdefender and use the PC for couple of days. By this you will know if defender is root cause.
If issue persists, we can check/brainstorm further
It has been established from my earlier post that Bitdefender IS the cause of this bluescreen. i.e. the stop error code pointed to a Bitdefender-OS conflict! I wish i had taken a pic of the blue screen. Luckily this issue has sorted out by itself. I just wanted to know if this could be a one-off or if others too experienced likewise.

Last edited:
Download who crashed and check whats causing the crash. Easy to use , check tutorials on you tube on how to use. I have been using BD Total Security since 2008 without a issue or BSOD. I had severe BSODs due to Nvidia SLI drivers back in the day but Bitdefender never caused them. Update BD regularly. I hope your windows/drivers recieves regular updates too.

It has been clearly established and implied from my earlier post that Bitdefender IS the cause of this bluescreen. i.e. the stop error code pointed to a Bitdefender-OS conflict! I wish i had taken a pic of the blue screen. Luckily this issue has sorted out by itself. I just wanted to know if this could be a one-off or if others too experienced likewise.
Hmm.. I did see ur opening post but anyways here's what i think - BSOD errors mostly can be caused due to drivers or memory corruption.
When u searched with the error code, did u find any other users with similar issue?
Yes - most likely Google results shud lead u to some solution on defender forums or forums which deal with softwares

No - then issue with ur PC. Highly unlikely that Defender itself cause this as its pretty huge name and they will fix this on priority.
Some other software in ur PC might be, just might be conflicting with defender settings

Regarding my suggestion of uninstalling defender itself to check, I didn't like the part where OS is recovering itself by doing rollback. I fear this might cause bigger issue as we don't know how much "rolling back" OS is doing on its own to come out of this BSOD. Mostly, u might be loosing any of the OS updates too.

Download who crashed and check whats causing the crash. Easy to use , check tutorials on you tube on how to use.
Thanks. Noted for future reference.
I have been using BD Total Security since 2008 without a issue or BSOD. I had severe BSODs due to Nvidia SLI drivers back in the day but Bitdefender never caused them. Update BD regularly. I hope your windows/drivers recieves regular updates too.
BD and Win10 auto update regularly. I also manually check for updates from time to time.
Hmm.. I did see ur opening post but anyways here's what i think - BSOD errors mostly can be caused due to drivers or memory corruption.
When u searched with the error code, did u find any other users with similar issue?
Yes - most likely Google results shud lead u to some solution on defender forums or forums which deal with softwares
Yes I did and found a litany of "solutions" of which I tried none. The issue resolved by itself.
No - then issue with ur PC. Highly unlikely that Defender itself cause this as its pretty huge name and they will fix this on priority.
Some other software in ur PC might be, just might be conflicting with defender settings

Regarding my suggestion of uninstalling defender itself to check, I didn't like the part where OS is recovering itself by doing rollback. I fear this might cause bigger issue as we don't know how much "rolling back" OS is doing on its own to come out of this BSOD. Mostly, u might be loosing any of the OS updates too.

This happened regularly with that godawful Win98 which was notorious for the blue screen of death. Thankfully I got through 18 years with WinXP relatively unscathed. Of late, this occurs sporadically with my Win10 Home 64bit desktop. After booting up to home screen, the system suddenly goes into an endless loop of blue screen + restart until I force shut the pc from the socket. I've learnt that this could be due to certain OS updates which are incompatible with antivirus software specifically Bitdefender(iirc the stop error code on the blue screen pertained to Bitdefender). Without any intervention(OS update rollback) this issue seems to resolve by itself hence the conundrum. Has anyone else experienced the blue screen of death with Win10 and Bitdefender or any other antivirus?
You've probably misunderstood my initial post. I have clearly stated that I did nothing and this blue screen problem disappeared on its own.

I have not experienced BSOD even once with Windows 10 by itself or with running Norton Internet Security. Its much improved over previous iterations of windows. Hungry on resources than any past version of the operating system and that is easily solved with a little more ram.

The screen shot you have shared is a clear sign of a bad display, display card card or inbuilt graphics card (or IGP) going haywire. Could well be the monitors electronics or panel too. Hard to say. As long as it does not repeat, you can ignore it.

Perhaps download Linux Mint and give it a go? If you do not use any software/app that is specific to Windows then Linux is a genuine alternative solution and works like a charm. Gone are the days where you wondered how to navigate the command line. I am no Linux guru, far far from it but I have put Mint on my wife's laptop and she has not asked me a single question on how to this and that in the last 6 months.

There are plenty of tutorials to get you started. Better yet, try it first and if you like it then install. Of course take backup of your important data before you do anything.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back