windows 7??

I never went the Vista way and have been sticking to XP-Pro faithfully.

After reading a lot, I got a evaluation version of W7, and I must say I like it a lot. There are some rumours that Apple has been involved in the design, and magazines such as PC-World and PC Magazine have been singing praises. W7 seems to have a soft corner for multimedia and has a number features for that.

Having said that I agree with Cranky that stability is important. Availability of third party software is another criteria, and it will be middle of next year before most popular software start running on it. I will consider shifting only when EAC, Monkey Audio, Irfanview, Total Commander, TextPad , Nero, and a couple of other 'I can't live without them' software are available on the OS.

Cheers

Hi,
I had the evaluation version as a dual boot with XP for close to 6 months. I liked it. It was very stable.The OS is very easy on the eyes. Contrary to what cranky has said i found it faster than the XP.Seems we can get the Home Premium for Rs5800/- and that is really good news.:)

cheers,
sri

i have been a mac fan, and the last nine years i used either the powerbook or the macbook, but windows 7 (on a toshiba) is hard to fault!!

I am a fan of mac too, but these days macs can dual boot with windows in one partition. Does Windows7 work already in macs?

What is Monkey Audio that Venkat cannot live without?

Regards.

I am a fan of mac too, but these days macs can dual boot with windows in one partition. Does Windows7 work already in macs?

What is Monkey Audio that Venkat cannot live without?

Regards.

Hi Asit,

easier to live with apple OS than with the windows OS, given that i need to do a lot of video editing in my line of work.

i have never used bootcamp on my mac - simply did not have the need.

not sure if windows 7 can be dual-booted in macs.

warm regards

Well cranky i am a lay user and i really don't know what a latency test is and i am all at sea to understand what a 556uS is.:DI have said what i honestly felt.If you say my conclusion is subjective i accept it humbly:)

cheers,
sri

Hi Suri,

I do not want to hijack this thread from a discussion of Windows 7 OS to that of Mac OS. However, I am glad to find someone in this forum who uses a Mac, because sometimes I need some help and it is difficult to get it unless there are actual users. I own a Macbook Pro with Mac OS 10.4.9 (Tiger) and I also never felt the need to use bootcamp and dual boot in Windows. Now I am considering a Mac for home use and a dual boot in Windows would be useful for others in the family and there is no reason why Windows 7 cannot be booted in the new Macs (old macs I am not sure about), but most probably it's still a good idea to keep using XP SP2 until Windows 7 settles down (as Venkat said) whatever that means.

Cranky, Thanks for explaining. I found out it's actually Monkey's Audio (and not Monkey Audio) as a little google search revealed.

Regards.

how is it for an htpc. are standard htpc apps available on win7. how's the sound card driver scene.

Hi doors,
I don't know about the HTPC applications. But Win7 accepted the Creative XFi sound card's Win XP drivers.

cheers,
sri

[QUOTE Actually, all of M$ has a long way to go.[/QUOTE]

I accept this whole heartedly:D

cheers,
sri

Not familiar with Monkey, TC and TextPad - but these are very old applications. TC may not actually ever run on anything post XP, it will not get the required disk access permissions from the OS.

Though there are other text processors, I am loath to give up on TextPad more because of my familiarity with it. I have been using it for coding for a long time, and for various text conversion from Word/PDF/HTML to other formats.

My liking for TC comes from my long use of Norton Commander in the days of MS-DOS. I have never used Windows explorer. Never. Actually Ghisler released a new version last month and that one is even better. With FTP, FXP, and all kinds of compressor supports, I find it extremely useful. Right Click on a file or a set of files, and you can zip (pack) them, FTP them, erase them, move them, view them, scan them (for virus).......

Hopefully if TC does not work there will some similar front end file management software available.

I am slowly shifting out of APE files and have converted most of my files to FLAC. So Monkey's may not be that important.

Cheers

Hey Manu - I have been using Win 7 RC for the last few months - wont go back to XP! It really is a great upgrade.

The price for the Home Premium Upgrade (not full version) was quoted at around 4500 someplace today. The full version was costlier at 6k+.
So I dont think its costly compared to Vista.
Definitely would be planning to buy it before my Win 7 RC times out in March.

Regarding the speed, I didnt find it any slower than XP on my PC (I didnt run any tests though, this is just how it feels). I did try Vista earlier and that was slowww - which is when I went back to XP.

I think of Vista as an upgrade over XP in terms of UI friendliness, looks, etc. and a downgrade in terms of performance.
The UI and looks of Win 7 are mostly Vista-esque, MS seems to have done their homework and improved on the performance a great bit this time around.

-
Manu

I've been using it for past 2 days and it's quite a improvement from Vista on performance. It did pick up all drivers on my 2.5 year old Dell laptop without any issues and there are some cool picks like pinning the application etc. Loading times and shut down times are bit improved than XP if not lot.

IMO it's a progress in right direction for Microsoft, However this isn't a OS which won't revolutionize computing. Multi-touch is a good feature and if used with correctly with applications can turn interesting.

Off topic - Mac users out here, Did you read about the new multi-touch mouse from Apple?

hey bros. can i use it in my sony laptop which has prebuilt windows vistas

try out the upgrade advisor available from the MS site - it will check your system specs and let you know if Win 7 will run OK on your CPU/RAM also if device drivers for all your devices are available etc. I have an old Pentium D 3Ghz - upgraded RAM to 3gigs and it flies with Win 7.

try out the upgrade advisor available from the MS site - it will check your system specs and let you know if Win 7 will run OK on your CPU/RAM also if device drivers for all your devices are available etc. I have an old Pentium D 3Ghz - upgraded RAM to 3gigs and it flies with Win 7.

thank manu bhai :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back