Wireless router

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
I don't even think his experience can help anyone unless and until you staying in same type of flat in the same building
Every house would have different number of walls and at different places
So what results someone else got is not going to help in any which way

Yeah sorry guys I'm out of Bombay next few days on a flight. Real hectic. Will update soon!

I don't even think his experience can help anyone unless and until you staying in same type of flat in the same building
Every house would have different number of walls and at different places
So what results someone else got is not going to help in any which way

Agree ......it will differ...but the pics he shared...and the ideas we provided...may help....all left now for him to try out

Hey..I have moved my router to the living room which is equidistant from ht room and living room. Had to spend slightly on the relocation by Airtel service and the strength is now proper.
Saved decent bucks on repeater/new router.

Hey..I have moved my router to the living room which is equidistant from ht room and living room. Had to spend slightly on the relocation by Airtel service and the strength is now proper.
Saved decent bucks on repeater/new router.

This was exactly what I am suggesting to Derek ji
If somehow he can manage to extended wire in a stealth way and does not screw up look of house he can keep at some centre location of house, it will surely improve then what it was before

There is no chance of moving the router so that question now does not arise. Will have to wait for my new router and see.

A costly router can never match the WiFi coverage of even two cheap routers kept at two corners of the house.
Having said that, I use mi 3 router. It isn't available officially in India but can be bought via eBay. It is dual band and offer great speeds and added benefits. But mind you it's only a router and not modem. It can be used as a wireless extender or wired extender.
Up until now I used it as wired extender for my airtel. Just recently bought a new second ISP so use it for that.
So I would highly recommend that instead of changing this old modem (if it is not faulty) you should find a way to add a wired router in the dead spot. Wired router provide better speeds than wireless range extenders. I have read that wireless ones reduce the speeds.

Haven't yet decided.

Also, I can't have a wired connection. There is only one point where there router can be placed. Maybe I'll just get a wireless repeater or extender.

Haven't yet decided.

Also, I can't have a wired connection. There is only one point where there router can be placed. Maybe I'll just get a wireless repeater or extender.

If that's the case and can't even move the router then it's best to get a good repeater and extender and finish it

I don't think changing the primary router will bring about any drastic changes

Try to place the repeater and different places and finalize one where it works best

Why not a Cisco router?

A friend uses it and it has crazy range. Penetrates right across two walls into the flat next door.

I don't know model or price but will find out.

Earlier he was using multiple routers but now just one suffices.

If you are looking to go the repeater, extender way, I suggest you look at mesh. Orbi or Google or anything else that catches your fancy. They are certainly a better way to extend wireless than repeaters and extenders. You will find many articles regarding this on google.

What is the range? 50 meters?
Well it's difficult to put an exact number to a router's range which varies with the number and type of walls, other home appliances, etc. What can be one sure of is of a greater range of an AC router compared to the N router due to the newer technology.

MaSh

Why not a Cisco router?

A friend uses it and it has crazy range. Penetrates right across two walls into the flat next door.

I don't know model or price but will find out.

Earlier he was using multiple routers but now just one suffices.
Which model is it ? Unless it’s an enterprise class it’s of no use. In enterprise class it will not be a ‘router’. It will be an access point.
Even the SMB, they don’t have ‘routers’ they all are access points. I have Cisco WAP371 with Cisco Cisco RV320 router on my network. But Last year I have upgraded to ubiquiti UP-AC-PRO, which is way better than the Cisco.

A costly router can never match the WiFi coverage of even two cheap routers kept at two corners of the house.
Having said that, I use mi 3 router. It isn't available officially in India but can be bought via eBay. It is dual band and offer great speeds and added benefits. But mind you it's only a router and not modem. It can be used as a wireless extender or wired extender.
Up until now I used it as wired extender for my airtel. Just recently bought a new second ISP so use it for that.
So I would highly recommend that instead of changing this old modem (if it is not faulty) you should find a way to add a wired router in the dead spot. Wired router provide better speeds than wireless range extenders. I have read that wireless ones reduce the speeds.
Even if you buy the access point you can still use your old router for routing functions with the new access point. Using 2 routers has its own demerits too. Signal interference with the same channel/the channel interference with the neighbor wifi.
Also 2 routers means two different SSID’s so switching from one to other will not be seamless.

Well it's difficult to put an exact number to a router's range which varies with the number and type of walls, other home appliances, etc. What can be one sure of is of a greater range of an AC router compared to the N router due to the newer technology.

MaSh
AC range is less so as the penetration ability thru walls but the bandwidth it can support is on the higher side. For N penetration ability is better than AC but the bandwidth is less compared to AC.
AC is going to be the next big thing, Wave1 (MIMO) is already in market and Wave 2 is coming soon
Buying an AC wave1/ Wave 2 router/access point will not improve connectivity if your end points doesn’t support it.

In case if any body is interested. Ubiquity access point is based on a software wireless controller. Which can be installed on your PC and this doesn't need to be running always. Its needed only when you make changes to wireless settings. i found this to be really a value for money product coz of the stability, wireless range, bandwidth & scalability.
This is a wireless access point not a wireless router, but if anyone is looking for an upgrade, they can still use the old router along with it for the routing functions.

Wireless.jpg

People who are struggling to get good internet speed for bandwidth sensitive media streaming applications like Netflix, Prime or any internet streaming applications can think of 'Broadband extender kit' from BT. Unlike the typical wireless extenders this device use your own electrical wiring network at home to pass the data traffic from one end to another.

Unfortunately this is not available in India. You need to get it from abroad. Also the speed depends on your quality of your electrical network at home.

IMG-20180430-WA0001.jpg

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back