Worlds Best Front End : Dcs - Now In India

SKR you might want to replace those GE 6SN7GTs with either Sylvanias or Kenrads. I've tried GE, Sylvania, Kenrad, Siemens and Raytheon in my preamp. The Sylvanias win by a mile in transparency, dynamics and overall sound. The kenrads come close and have more bass heft but they don't have the beautiful extended top end.
I'm sure the amp will improve quite a bit with Sylvanias.

Thanks!

Hi reignofchaos,
Thanks for your advice. You are correct about the tube you have mentioned. In fact I have some very good NOS 6SN7 tubes in stock including Sylvania and Hytron 5692 (same as 6SN7) brown based. This tube is same in construction to famous RCA red base 5692 and claimed to be similar sounding.

In Pre-amplifier there will be a definite improvement. I have a rogue Audio Magnum-99 pre-amp. and NOS tubes make whole lot of difference, compared to stock tubes it becomes a much better pre-amplifier. I have Large chrome dome Sylvania GTB of 1950's or 1960's which are also very sweet sounding.
But as a driver tube in a power amp. there may not be that big difference. I once tried but could not notice much improvement. looking at your suggestion I will try again and see if any advantage can be achieved.
Thanks and regards

SKR

most welcome skr.

the shuguang 2A3C is also a good bet alternative to the electroharmonix. its a single plate tube and viren has compared it with double plate NOS tubes and found it better. lots of users online too find this new production tube excellent. dont know where its available now the chinese website selling it has temporarily stopped production last i remember. you could check.

regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back