Would you hold back your blu ray player purchase for this?

There is a limitation to this backup and copy issue of Blu Ray as in rescent times when we buy a blu ray disk from US, some of them comes with a digital copy of the same movie but that could only be stored to maximum number of 5 devices and after that the copy becomes useless as it gets its authorisation after verifing and aquring the liscense from the Net through the studio's website. So with the blu ray disk it would be made possible with the same kind of technology. I don't think that it would be possible sometime sooner for the Blu ray software to be hacked and then sold as pirated stuff.
For the players, yes it is confirmed that the prices would eventually come down to the level of DVD Players sold at today's prices, but for that you will have to wait for another 2 years in India. In US the prices for new Blu ray players have come down to almost half the prices since last year but in India the same factor is yet to be seen, it is based on the economics of Demand and supply and most of the players right now are impoted rather then assembled here. Until the demand for the players increases the same price bracket of Rs.5000 is not atainable in the coming 1-2 years.

Last edited:
yesterday I saw a dvd play for 13-1400 from moserbaer. It also had HDCD logo on it!!!!
Unfortunately, it did not have a digital out, only analog out that I did not trust. I could have purchased it in the heat of the moment, but then some commotion happened with my wife shopping in another shop and I had to run and take matters in my own hands - calling the store manager and deal with him.

not really on topic but when the BD players reach about 10k at the entry level, and about 13-15k for a superior one like the BD-P2500, i wouldn't mind taking the plunge into BD.

Player @ Rs 7 K
Media - 200-300
Availabality of pirated BR

Unless I find it difficult BR will pick up in India!!

Post worlwide DVD acceptance VCD was selling very well.Also formats like Laserdisk,Minidisk,8 track never worked in India

I think in India for some time you will see the kind of split that was there between CDs and cassette tape, in the 90s and early 2000s, where the masses bought tapes and the slightly well off bought CDs...and then a slow transition where CDs increased their share

Similarly, once the BD players hit about 10k, and media hits about 600-800, you're going to see the slightly better off people move over to BD, while the masses will remain with DVD, for at least a few years, at which time of course UHD video might become the norm.

Player @ Rs 7 K
Media - 200-300
Availabality of pirated BR

Unless I find it difficult BR will pick up in India!!

Post worlwide DVD acceptance VCD was selling very well.Also formats like Laserdisk,Minidisk,8 track never worked in India

not really on topic but when the BD players reach about 10k at the entry level, and about 13-15k for a superior one like the BD-P2500, i wouldn't mind taking the plunge into BD.

Absolutely. And the media costs should come down to some 500 or even less. In Chennai some of the libraries have started renting BD movies, so I suppose we can start using a BD Player without waiting for the media prices to come down, as long as the player prices are reasonable.

Cheers

that's great news (rental BD), how much are they charging? and which video libraries are these?

Absolutely. And the media costs should come down to some 500 or even less. In Chennai some of the libraries have started renting BD movies, so I suppose we can start using a BD Player without waiting for the media prices to come down, as long as the player prices are reasonable.

Cheers

Due to lack of sufficient movie choices and cost, I am holding off of the BR players. I woudl not buy a dedicated player, more a PS3 and make it the centre of my AV system.

I am still contented with 480P DVDs!

yeah no shipping to India....but rates to HK and Isarel i checked....611 and 617 respectively so it shoul dbe about that much whenever they DO ship to India...620 or so to ship to India....then you add duty, which is (at most) 35% of 500, 175.....so total 795 at the most liberal estimate..... and maybe 700 USD at a conservative estimate (if customs is kind).

that's quite a packet still....35k + .....super premium for sure.....not for the aam janta.

I think oppodigital is not exporting to India directly.

sri

super, now all i need is for BD player prices to come down, or someone to get me one from the US :). i know this has been asked before, but how much does a high quality transformer cost (i keep getting confused about whether it is step-up or step-down)?

Nathans, Cinema Paradiso, and Tic Tac are what I aware of. Nathans charge 50 per day.

Cheers

for personal import, I think the duty should be ~17% Can also be verified at 20north site.

regards

yeah no shipping to India....but rates to HK and Isarel i checked....611 and 617 respectively so it shoul dbe about that much whenever they DO ship to India...620 or so to ship to India....then you add duty, which is (at most) 35% of 500, 175.....so total 795 at the most liberal estimate..... and maybe 700 USD at a conservative estimate (if customs is kind).

that's quite a packet still....35k + .....super premium for sure.....not for the aam janta.

I had mentioned this many months ago when Oppo just announced their BD player and think its worth repeating. This is a wrong direction the company is taking with the pricing and will not be successful wrt sales esp. in the current economy.

Unless their players are brought down to ~4K USD its not the right choice despite the quality and reliability.

It was easier to bridge the price gap for universal players since you got quality and some additional options, not for BR.

I am very disappointed with Oppo

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back