X900H 65" Judder/Stutter in 24 FPS

Sandeepthdh

Recently acquired 65" Sony X900H & Spent the whole weekend trying to fiddle with SDR & HDR setting's and safe to say I've got everything calibrated to my liking...

I have only one issue which I'm not sure how to solve , whenever a scene involves camera panning the screen starts to stutter/judder/tear , 60 & 120 FPS obviously run smooth but the issue seems to be only with then 24 FPS content which sadly is 90% of the content we consume.

I have changed BFI to 1 which reduces the issue by say 50% , i don't want to change smoothness as it gives soap opera effect that i hate.

From what i read on various forums this seems to be a common issue across brands. Someone said Apple 4K TV has an option to match frame rates which in return eliminates this problem. if this is true i really don't mind buying it

Another interesting mystery , I had to do factory reset as fix a bug in Dolby Vision setting. Post reset i see color banding only while watching 4k content on Youtube and for the life of me i cant figure out which setting i missed which is now causing color banding

I'll be really glad if someone can throw some light on this...

What is the video source ?
Are you playing videos from internal apps like youtube / OTT or from external streamer / player like Shield TV / Apple TV ?

I haven't noticed much judder tbh but do you have any example videos on youtube or other apps where you are seeing it, I can try on mine and see.

I haven't noticed much judder tbh but do you have any example videos on youtube or other apps where you are seeing it, I can try on mine and see.
Play 3rd episode from season 3 of Fauda on netflix , the first few seconds has a panning shot for 3-4 seconds. the shutter is very clear. Also Fauda is not in DV so if you stutter here its the same everywhere else...

Play 3rd episode from season 3 of Fauda on netflix , the first few seconds has a panning shot for 3-4 seconds. the shutter is very clear. Also Fauda is not in DV so if you stutter here its the same everywhere else...
Yes, there's a lot of judder on Custom mode with all Motion settings turned off in this scene. Cinema mode is much better here but the Soap opera effect comes in. I feel watching it with Motion settings turned off but Film mode set to Auto is a good medium - eliminates lot of the judder (but it's still there) and no soap opera effect. Rtings recommends setting Smoothness and Clearness to 2, but setting Smoothness or BFI to 2 brings in too much soap opera effect, like you also observed. So maybe Smoothness 1, Clearness 2 (or even max), and Film mode to Auto might work?

Yes, there's a lot of judder on Custom mode with all Motion settings turned off in this scene. Cinema mode is much better here but the Soap opera effect comes in. I feel watching it with Motion settings turned off but Film mode set to Auto is a good medium - eliminates lot of the judder (but it's still there) and no soap opera effect. Rtings recommends setting Smoothness and Clearness to 2, but setting Smoothness or BFI to 2 brings in too much soap opera effect, like you also observed. So maybe Smoothness 1, Clearness 2 (or even max), and Film mode to Auto might work?
I tried all possible combination i could think off but no luck. Now i'm seriously wondering is Apple TV could eliminate this via frame match feature. I will have to look around if someone has an apple TV that i could borrow for a day or two. if it works i will happily pick up the new 4k 2021 version, I'm anyway into apple ecosystem so it will be a added bonus.

I tried all possible combination i could think off but no luck. Now i'm seriously wondering is Apple TV could eliminate this via frame match feature. I will have to look around if someone has an apple TV that i could borrow for a day or two. if it works i will happily pick up the new 4k 2021 version, I'm anyway into apple ecosystem so it will be a added bonus.
I think Firetv has frame matching feature as well, so maybe check if you can borrow a Firetv as an alternative.

If TV's internal app streaming had judder, then apple tv frame rate matching will not solve the issue.
Frame rate matching is nothing but outputting the original frame rate of the content.
My fire tv 4k does this while streaming prime video. I switched off this feature, now the output is fixed at 60 fps which improved judder somewhat.
Btw, my TV is Toshiba u79.

Welcome to my world. I have a lg cx and dread watching sports on it. Gives me a headache. Its as if in fast pans my brain cant process the images. Its not judder, its a sort of unnatural picture quality , with the images all over.

Welcome to my world. I have a lg cx and dread watching sports on it. Gives me a headache. Its as if in fast pans my brain cant process the images. Its not judder, its a sort of unnatural picture quality , with the images all over.
Try to Enable black frame insertion.

@Maint1234 did this resolve the issue?

I am contemplating on buying the same x900H, Its listed as X9000H in Reliance Digital website, I guess its the same.

However, I cannot live with SOE, and I have not seen the judder in panning shots myself, but based on what you and other explain, I may not be able to live with it.
And based on my research so far (reading through Redit posts) every 120Hz tv will have this issue, however, I dont see this being pointed out in reviews in youtube.

@Maint1234 did this resolve the issue?

I am contemplating on buying the same x900H, Its listed as X9000H in Reliance Digital website, I guess its the same.

However, I cannot live with SOE, and I have not seen the judder in panning shots myself, but based on what you and other explain, I may not be able to live with it.
And based on my research so far (reading through Redit posts) every 120Hz tv will have this issue, however, I dont see this being pointed out in reviews in youtube.
the judder thing no longer bothers me , i guess after couple of days you get used to it. But the TV blows you away when you watch pure 4K or Dolby Vision content... It's just beautiful... If you're on the fence of buying then just go for it...

The inky black on this TV is something else

Thanks Sandeep.

I really am on the fence, your response is confidence inspiring :)

I am also on the fence if I should go with it now @1.5 lakhs in Reliance Digital or wait till Diwali for additional discount.
With the chip and panel shortage in the global market + X900H being previous year's model, do you think waiting is worth it?

Thanks Sandeep.

I really am on the fence, your response is confidence inspiring :)

I am also on the fence if I should go with it now @1.5 lakhs in Reliance Digital or wait till Diwali for additional discount.
With the chip and panel shortage in the global market + X900H being previous year's model, do you think waiting is worth it?
I got it for 1.4 Lacs from Pai , You can call Shivu on 8880642528. You can give him my reference and I'm pretty sure he will match the offer...

I waited for XR and couldn't wait anylonger for them to announce the price , interestingly the day i purchased my X900h Sony announced it at insane price of 1.89 lacs. I was glad i went with my instincts and got it home , the difference amount is now funding PS5 which god alone knows when i will get to successfully order from Sony...

XR Chip is good i guess by 8-10 % but not worth the price difference and honestly it no bothers me. I've consumed 4K content on it almost every day and every time i have a smile plastered on my face like a retard :p

If the price difference was 20k i would have gone with the X90J but 50k is too big an amount to justify the difference. From what i know its no longer in production so its gamble if this will be still available during Diwali... Your call...

I couldnt wait so pulled the trigger and have Zero regrets , knockonwood :)

the judder thing no longer bothers me , i guess after couple of days you get used to it. But the TV blows you away when you watch pure 4K or Dolby Vision content... It's just beautiful... If you're on the fence of buying then just go for it...

The inky black on this TV is something else
Agreed. Love the black levels, and it's stunning on Dolby Vision/HDR even though it isn't the brightest panel out there.
Also glad you're enjoying the TV as well, mate.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back