XBMC and addon recommendations

vbhoj74

Hi,

I'm new to HTPC & thus XBMC stuff, I've a raspberry Pi B and I'm presently downloading raspbmc for the same. My major objective is to watch US TV shows and maybe movies.

Can you suggest the plugins / addon to XBMC that you guys recommend.

I also have presently 512kb bandwidth (had 8mbps before), i guess this will be far too less for streaming. I may think of upgrading again if I find that the XBMC setup suffices my purpose.

- thanks.

You will definitely need more b/w. 4-5 mbps at the very least. 2 mbps might cut it if its only a single user and a single device, not for multiple devices and users.

Coming to apps Netflix definitely. Others I've used in the past have been FreeCable, TuneIn, and YouTube.

There are tons more, but a lot depends on what you are into and wanting to watch. Not many for free movies though, free TV channels you will find many.

Roku is a better device for streaming online content, it offers lots more channels.

Also, Kodi is limited as a media player, excellent as a media server and interface, but the PQ leaves a lot to be desired. Configure an external media player like PotPlayer or if you want the best PQ then use madVR with either PotPlayer or MPC.

Also, Kodi is limited as a media player, excellent as a media server and interface, but the PQ leaves a lot to be desired. Configure an external media player like PotPlayer or if you want the best PQ then use madVR with either PotPlayer or MPC.

He is using a Pi and I doubt any of these players work on this framework. I use the Pi with OpenElec in my bedroom setup on a 26" LCD TV with max resolution of 720p and very happy with the picture quality. No issues and the streaming happens over powerline ethernet adapters from my Synology NAS server. No issues even with 40gb high bandwidth movies as well.

Edit: As you said I use a dedicated assembled HTPC with XBMC + MPC-HC + MadVR and cannot be more happy with the results.

Last edited:
Regarding Bandwidth - I think OP means he has hit FUP of (Airtel). I'm on the 175 GB 8 Mbps plan, it doesn't suffice on some occasions either.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was testing the system out.

I was on a basic 512kb plan, now moved to 8mbps plan.

Tried out raspbmc only as I had already setup by the time I got recommendations for openelec. I find the system has all the bells & whistles, and yes it is only good as a media player. I also experienced in one of the videos that the audio and picture was out of sync. Maybe I'll just go back to the wdtv and learn how to add the bells & whistles there. :D

There are tons more, but a lot depends on what you are into and wanting to watch. Not many for free movies though, free TV channels you will find many.

Not really, lots of free movies available at very good quality.

The following Add ons will give you pretty much anything
  • Genesis
  • Phoenix
  • Prime wire
  • USTV.now

Here is a step by step guide on how to install, took the Genesis sample
Hope it will be useful for anyone who wants to know how to stream.

System > File Manager > Add Source
Add the source as : http://fusionn.tvaddons.ag
Name it : Fusion
Ok
System > Addons > Install From Zip
Pick the "Fusion" you created earlier or whatever you named it
Then click on
Start-Here > pluin.program.addoninstaller-1.2.0.zip
OK
Or you can go one step back
click on > xbmc-repos
and tons of content to unzip

Now after the unzip next step is the Enable the Addons you wish

Go back to the
System > Addons > Get Add Ons
All Add-ons > Video Add-ons
Scroll through
Pick Genesis

You are Done with the Installation.

Now go back to your main menu > Video > Video Add ons
Pick Genesis.

Here is how you get to the movie

Step 1
Select the Genesis Add on
va1.jpg

Step 2
Enter the Movies sub menu
In this case I have selected Box Office by year
You can select by Genere or any other category you wish
va2.jpg

Step 3
Scroll and pick the movie you wish to watch
va3.jpg

Step 4
Once you click on the movie poster it will scan and show you all the sources available from where it can stream.
Here you make your pick of HD/ SD whatever .
v4.jpg

Step 5
Once you pick the source it will start playing the Movie
Viola you are done :clapping:
v5.jpg

Similar if you want to watch TV shows using the Genesis plugin

Note: Pre-req > The Genesis addon should be installed , refer to my previous post on how to install it.

Go into Genesis
Select TV shows, select whatever category you want to browse through
tv1.jpg

Select the TV show you wish to see
Tv2.jpg

Select the Season
tv3.jpg

Select the Episode
tv4.jpg

Watch
tv5.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Not really, lots of free movies available at very good quality.

The following Add ons will give you pretty much anything
  • Genesis
  • Phoenix
  • Prime wire
  • USTV.now

Thanks, will check them out. I've stopped using Kodi as I prefer the quality from PotPlayer + madVR + SVP and I stopped using Plex because Netflix does not work with it. Will give Kodi a try again.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back