Yamaha 667 with Asus O Play mini : HDMI LPCM Multi CH ISSUE

amar_gahir

Hi Friends,

I am having yamaha 667 7.2. but i m using it as only 5.1.

Recently i bought Asus O Play mini. when i set Audio output to HDMI LPCM Multi Channel on ASUS mini. i dont hear any dialog only sound effects are there.

but if i use audio setting as HDMI RAW it works fine. i read somewhere that HDMI raw will degrade the 7.1 to 5.1.

Here is the link for reference.
Instructions for HDMI Audio Output and Optical and Coaxial SPDIF--Measy Electronics - Measy Eletronics Co.,Ltd.

My expectation from Yamaha was that it shud play LPCM Multi Ch easily.

Here are the file details:

Format:MKV
Audio: AAC 6Ch 48khz
Video: H264 1920*1280 23.99 fps

Please suggest if i am doing or expecting something wrong?

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Amar

Using HDMI RAW is recommended. It will send Dolby (AC3) and DTS signals including HD audio directly to AVR for decoding. But with AAC audio, the sound may not be in correct channel because most AVRs can't decode AAC properly. In your player set Dolby and DTS as RAW or to passthrough and for AAC set audio out to LPCM. Himedia player has this option, but I don't know whether oplay mini has it.

I have 3 HDMI Modes:

HDMI LPCM - Works perfectly fine
HDMI Multichannel - front/rear channel works but no center hence no dialogue. but clarity and effects are better than the other two methods.
HDMI RAW - works perfectly fine.

Since i am getting front and surround sound better in case of multichannel. i am looking if there is any way to get it work? as far as the technical specifications are concerned yamaha should work with HDMI LPCM Multichannel.

Please suggest.

Thanks you.
Amar

With Raw setting,you cannot get 5.1aac audio from 667(as aac will not be decoded by 667).If there is any other format,667 can play.else asus is converting aac to other format.Can you tell us,what do you see on 667 display?

With Raw setting,you cannot get 5.1aac audio from 667(as aac will not be decoded by 667).If there is any other format,667 can play.else asus is converting aac to other format.Can you tell us,what do you see on 667 display?

I had the same issue with my yamaha 571 receiver thru xbmc. In fact it is the same issue with all the AV receivers they cannot decode AAC audio. As I have put the output as bitstream from xbmc my receiver shows as PCM with 5.1 channel audio when played with AAC audio. I do not see any diff with PCM 5.1 and DTS or Dolby for 5.1 channel audio. It is the same so I am presuming that my receiver is not able to decode AAC audio and hence it shows as PCM but with 5.1 audio and hence there is not any degrading of the audio using this option.

Thanks

I also see PCM with 5.1 on my 667.

is it expected from receivers that they don't support AAC? most of HD movie collection i have is AAC 6 channel.

i see noticeable difference in surround effects between HDMI LPCL Multi channel and HDMI RAW mode.

Surround effects are better in case of HDMI LPCM multichannel.

I am just wondering why 667 is not playing the dialogs rest of the things are fine ?

my understanding is if Asus is sending multichannel whether its 7.1 or 5.1 my 667 should be able to understand.

any comments experts?

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Amarjit Singh.

Well aac is lossy format & SQ is not that gr8 compared to DD/Dts.Now if I use multi ch PCM from DD/Dts,again software decoding reduces some SQ.If you use media player,then not much.I play aac files decoded by vlc OR MPCHC & ther is no issue.I get surround perfectly.May be asus mini is not joing good job.New FW can fix it.

Thanks friends.

I am also facing another issue. My Asus mini is connected to 667 via HDMI 1.3. if i start my 667 first and then asus mini i dont see 5.1 on 667 (only PCM is seen). but if i start asus mini after 667 everything works fine.

Please suggest.

Thanks friends.

I am also facing another issue. My Asus mini is connected to 667 via HDMI 1.3. if i start my 667 first and then asus mini i dont see 5.1 on 667 (only PCM is seen). but if i start asus mini after 667 everything works fine.

Please suggest.

The line you posted has same meaning & cant find any issues there.:)In both cases,you are starting asus mini later than 667.

oops.. sorry guys..

issue:

when i start both 667 and asus together( Switch on main power), i see PCM on 667 and GUI interface of ASUS mini on TV. but i do not see 5.1 on 667.

I have to switch off/on asus mini from remote and then it works perfectly fine.

Every time i am starting system i have to do it.

please suggest.

I don't think this is a problem. Try playing a file and see what the AVR displays. Usually AVR will automatically switch to the appropriate mode (PCM, DTS, Dolby etc.) once playback is started.

Its not issue,but you need to turn on asus mini 1st,then AVR & TV lastly,else 667 will be ignored & your TV will be considered by asus which cant decode 5.1(TV)& so you get PCM on AVR.It happens with HTPC too.

Its not issue,but you need to turn on asus mini 1st,then AVR & TV lastly,else 667 will be ignored & your TV will be considered by asus which cant decode 5.1(TV)& so you get PCM on AVR.It happens with HTPC too.

i tried playing file. only video is played. no Audio since 667 is not showing 5.1

I don't think this is a problem. Try playing a file and see what the AVR displays. Usually AVR will automatically switch to the appropriate mode (PCM, DTS, Dolby etc.) once playback is started.

i think i have to live with it. sine there is no on/off switch on Asus mini and both 667 and asus are connected via single belkin surge protector. ...so both gets switched on at same time....

anyways.. thank you frds. appreciate your responses... :)

i think i have to live with it. sine there is no on/off switch on Asus mini and both 667 and asus are connected via single belkin surge protector. ...so both gets switched on at same time....

Why not to get surge protector with individual switches?I am using similar from MX.

related to this same discussion amar could you help me out...
I have onkyo 3400 and a nameless media player who dont have any option like RAW BITSTREAM/LPCM...........TOGGLE
it by default sends 2 channel pcm..and my reciver always shows pcm in its display...
my question is in O play mini manual I saw there is no option like bitstream/pcm selection in hdmi...but asus o play hdp r1 has this option in its manual..
I need this function...so since u are using o play mini...asking you O play mini do this well right?? that is toggle between bitstream/pcm via hdmi.......

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back