Yamaha A-S500 not happy :(

TheDG

Hi all,

I found this forum over the past couple of days because of my searching for some answers about my new acquisition ;)

I had a crappy AV amp, my first step into the world of separates that over the years has served various roles, the last being the stereo amp for my computer. Now it was old and relatively cheap but there was something about the bottom end that worked. The loudness button and bass eq brought something really nice to the equation.

Unfortunately I've got intermittent problems on one channel so it's time to look for something new.

After doing some research I settled on the Y A-S500, I'm sure you all know the reasons. At 180 it seemed a bargain.

I took delivery 2 days ago and whilst the top end is really nice and there's a massive jump in clarity and articulation there is no bottom end to speak of. It's there but very weak in comparison. By the time you get to a sound level where the bass starts working the top end is piercingly loud. And this is with all the adjustments I can make using the controls on the amp.

On my old amp it was a case of loudness button on and maybe a db or 2 of bass and the bottom end was great.

This is with the same leads and same speakers in the same position in the same room.

I've got a couple of options for why this might be:
1) The Yamaha is simply lacking massively in bass response.
2) It has a lot less distortion than my old unit, maybe there was something about the distortion introduced in the loudness circuit and eq that filled out the tone which is lacking in the yamaha.

We're not talking about things being 'a bit off' even with all the adjustments on the yamaha I had to add about 9db peak at 80hz and a further 2db lowshelf boost in an eq to get in the same ball park.

*congrats on reading this far ;)

The yamaha's back in the box and I'll be taking it back next week. So what amp would you recommend for someone who wants heavy, punchy, strong bass? Lets keep the price down if we can.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Yamaha Lacking In Bass :-(... The culprit could be your Source\Speaker\Even cables.

Kindly share the full set-up,Possibly the FM's could suggest the best way to bring the bass out of Yummy's

Am FAN of Yamaha , Sansui for Bass Only

You are in UK. Why are you even looking at a Yamaha. Get an entry level Rega or Exposure or Audio Lab. They are far far better amps.

Last edited:
So you guys think the Yamaha is ok for bass? Like I said this is the exact same setup as I had before the only thing that changed was the amp.

I'm using an Audiophile 24/96 soundcard, into a chunky cambridge audio phono cable and these speakers Soundcraft - [Products]

Like I said though there was no problem before with the crappy old Sherwood amp I had previously and I very surprised it has a much better bottom end than the 'best amp under 500'. That also primarily the reason for going with the Yammy, it was a bargain with a good reputation.
I've looked at quite a few amps now and none of the reviews every seem to say 'really strong bottom end' or words to those effect.

My absolute max is about 300 which with import duty, tax etc is probably the same amount in dollars.

Thanks for the input so far, I'm not really looking to spend more money on new speakers because they work fine and happily go down to about [PAUSE]

Maybe this will help diagnose the issue, I watched this video yesterday...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrbFj9r10Y
On the yamaha, the speakers stopped producing sound at 40hz which is kind of inline with their specs. The tone was pure, almost hollow and anemic.
I literally just ran the test again on my old amp and the difference is night and day, I have a big, solid, resonant bass tone that fills the room even at a modest volume and the speakers are still outputting something at even 20hz, 35 and 30 hz are still sounding good.
This reinforces my distortion theory doesn't it? The speakers aren't rated as working below 45hz so the amp must be producing some upper harmonics in order for the drivers to reproduce the tone.

I used to be a sound engineer in a former career so I'm well aware of the benefits of 'good' distortion and how it can be pleasing to the ear. Maybe the dirty old dusty amp (not really dusty btw) is more 'musical' at reproducing sound and whatever amp I audition will have the same, overly clean footprint.

I don't know, I got sidetracked. I don't want to head off on a road for something I'm not going to find.

Thoughts? ;)

I got the 651 in the end and it is a minor improvement over the yamaha. I'm now considering whether a tube preamp is the way to go to help the bottom end.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back