Yamaha AVR owners thread

Hi folks, I am back after a while. Looking to purchase Yamaha V6a or A2A. I checked with Profx, they dont deal with Yamaha anymore. Can you all please share the dealer or contact where I can buy the receiver from?

Checked with HTstore and the dealers listed in the link - none seem to have it. Wonder if it is even worth looking for Yamaha? Need an AVR and have Yamaha A2A and Pioneer LX305 in my sight - hoping they both should cost mostly the same. (may be +/- 10k)

Checked with HTstore and the dealers listed in the link - none seem to have it. Wonder if it is even worth looking for Yamaha? Need an AVR and have Yamaha A2A and Pioneer LX305 in my sight - hoping they both should cost mostly the same. (may be +/- 10k)
I’m not sure where to get either of them - but I’d been doing some comparisons between the same two models and found the LX-305 far ahead. It has 9 channels vs 7, and the A2A doesn’t support 40GBPS 8K, only 24GBPS. The LX-305 supports 40GBPS on 3 inputs. The LX-305 also has 2 zones video with the possibility of an independent zone 2. But what looks like the most exciting feature based on reviews is Dirac Live.
I don’t think the 305 has come to India yet, didn’t see it at the What HiFi show. A2A seems available on Ooberpad

Setup - I am using Dali zensor 1 BS speaker pair as front L/R (only 2 speakers for now). The speakers are being driven by Yamaha RX-V4A (80 Watt per channel in stereo). Setup is in a small bedroom (10.5 feet x 13.5 feet). Listening distance is ~9 feet. AVR is connected with Sony 55X7500H 4K android tv. Content is being played on apps like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hotstar.

Query - I have to upp the AVR volume to between 22.5dB - 30dB for music as well as movies to have good sound level for movies and music. Is this expected from the setup or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320-104613.png
    Screenshot_20230320-104613.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20230322-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230322-WA0001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5
Setup - I am using Dali zensor 1 BS speaker pair as front L/R (only 2 speakers for now). The speakers are being driven by Yamaha RX-V4A (80 Watt per channel in stereo). Setup is in a small bedroom (10.5 feet x 13.5 feet). Listening distance is ~9 feet. AVR is connected with Sony 55X7500H 4K android tv. Content is being played on apps like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hotstar.

Query - I have to upp the AVR volume to between 22.5dB - 30dB for music as well as movies to have good sound level for movies and music. Is this expected from the setup or am I doing something wrong?
I have been using v6A for 2 years. I never had to go higher than -15 DB. Mostly it is set to between -22 and -25 DB. So i think there may be an issue. Could you check if the speaker cables are proper?

No issue as '0' is reference level.
Usually -20 is enough for loud sound. Again it depends on speaker impedance and sensitivity.

I am new to AVR and HiFi speakers (but know basic household wiring).

Currently the wiring looks ok. Not using banana plugs as of now. Can share pictures if needed.

I recently connected the speakers to the AVR using this wire.

Observations at different volume levels when I sit at a distance of ~8 feet (bedroom size 10.5 feet x 13.5 feet):

Mute - hear nothing
-80dB - hear nothing
-70dB - hear nothing
-60dB - start hearing something at very low volume (can't figure out what is playing)
-50dB - hear song at low volume
-40dB - hear song at low volume (greater than -50dB but still low)
-30dB - hear song at good volume (start enjoying stereo effect and bass)
-21.5dB - hear sound at loud volume

I have not gone above -21.5dB volume level even for testing thinking it may damage AVR or speakers.

I am new to AVR and HiFi speakers (but know basic household wiring).

Currently the wiring looks ok. Not using banana plugs as of now. Can share pictures if needed.

I recently connected the speakers to the AVR using this wire.

Observations at different volume levels when I sit at a distance of ~8 feet (bedroom size 10.5 feet x 13.5 feet):

Mute - hear nothing
-80dB - hear nothing
-70dB - hear nothing
-60dB - start hearing something at very low volume (can't figure out what is playing)
-50dB - hear song at low volume
-40dB - hear song at low volume (greater than -50dB but still low)
-30dB - hear song at good volume (start enjoying stereo effect and bass)
-21.5dB - hear sound at loud volume

I have not gone above -21.5dB volume level even for testing thinking it may damage AVR or speakers.
Your AVR is fine. I have the same observation as yours. I have set my Yamaha AVR to automatically set the volume at -25dB when I switch on. IIRC some setting known as 'Initial Volume'

Hi, This is expected and I do listen in similar volume range ( -30db to -20db ).Nothing wrong in the setup.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back