Yamaha AVR owners thread

mbhangui,

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. made many things clear in my mind.

However in your EDIT part, you didn't mention with which remote is the AVR Volume controlled? Kindly answer same so i'll be able to have complete picture.

Also, i read my Sony Bravia Bx400 TV manual, it has Bravia SYNC.

What I'm trying to figure out here is how can i Control the volume up/down of the RX V673 via the MI box/Firestick 4k remote? This a major doubt for me.

Thanks.

mbhangui,

However in your EDIT part, you didn't mention with which remote is the AVR Volume controlled? Kindly answer same so i'll be able to have complete picture.

Also, i read my Sony Bravia Bx400 TV manual, it has Bravia SYNC.

What I'm trying to figure out here is how can i Control the volume up/down of the RX V673 via the MI box/Firestick 4k remote? This a major doubt for me.

Thanks.
Not sure about MI remote,but Fire stick remote might not be able to operate the receiver. Does your fire tv remote have volume buttons? Firetv remote is a bluetooth remote, whereas the receiver might need an IR remote.

MaSh

mbhangui,

Not sure about MI remote,but Fire stick remote might not be able to operate the receiver. Does your fire tv remote have volume buttons? Firetv remote is a bluetooth remote, whereas the receiver might need an IR remote.

1. I can control the AVR volume using the TV remote always. Both work all the time. Similarly if I switch off the TV using the TV remote the TV and AVR both switches off. However switching off the AVR using the Yamaha remote doesn't switch off the TV. In fact I rarely use the Yamaha AVR remote. Also switching the TV hdmi inputs switches the AVR inputs also. e.g. I have my PC connected to HDMI1 of the TV, Apple MacMini connected to HDMI4. When I switch to the PC or the Mac Mini, the TV switches the input of the AVR so that it always gets the sound through the AVR and not the TV (here it uses the ARC connection to route the audio of the TV through the ARC enabled HDMI input). In my case HDMI2 of the TV acts as both input and output for audio.

2. When I'm connected to Amazon firestick for movies, etc. The firestick volume control operates both the TV as well as the AVR. Here too I don't have to use the Yamaha AVR remote at all. If I switch on the power button of the firestick remote, it switches on / off the TV and Yamaha together. This firestick can use both IR + bluetooth, but i my case it is obviously using IR because my TV and AVr doesn't have bluetooth.
1638543831590.png

Last edited:
1. I can control the AVR volume using the TV remote always. Both work all the time. Similarly if I switch off the TV using the TV remote the TV and AVR both switches off. However switching off the AVR using the Yamaha remote doesn't switch off the TV. In fact I rarely use the Yamaha AVR remote. Also switching the TV hdmi inputs switches the AVR inputs also. e.g. I have my PC connected to HDMI1 of the TV, Apple MacMini connected to HDMI4. When I switch to the PC or the Mac Mini, the TV switches the input of the AVR so that it always gets the sound through the AVR and not the TV (here it uses the ARC connection to route the audio of the TV through the ARC enabled HDMI input). In my case HDMI2 of the TV acts as both input and output for audio.

2. When I'm conneted to Amazon firestick for movies, etc. The firestick volume control operates both the TV as well as the AVR. Here too I don't have to use the Yamaha AVR remote at all. If I switch on the power button of the firestick remote, it switches on / off the TV and Yamaha remote togher. This firestick can use both IR + bluetooth, but i my case it is obviously using IR because my TV and AVr doesn't have bluetooth.
View attachment 64836
Oh, that's nice. My Fire Stick and Fire TV remotes do not have volume buttons.

MaSh

Oh, that's nice. My Fire Stick and Fire TV remotes do not have volume buttons.

MaSh
Ok. I have one of that too. It is one generation older than the firestick remote that has volume control and power button. In the new remote even the mute button mutes the avr.

HI Everyone,

I have the PIoneer 1020-K receiver which is 7.1 I think and it has served me well for 10 years and still going strong. With Dolby Atmos receivers becoming affordable and unlimited internet thanks to Excitel - I thought it was time for me to upgrade.

I found this Yamaha TSR 700 7.1 receiver for 440 dollars in US. Could not find India price but I am assuming it will be at least two times. My friend is willing to get from US...so say with Taxes it will be around 35K - is it ok to get this particular or look for anything else?

I am not a audiophile and I just want to add Atmos to my existing 5.1 Andrew Jones Pioneer setup and this is the cheapest one I found and reviews seem to be fine except for few issues. But no matter what brand of receiver reviews I read - people are always complaining.

Assuming something goes wrong with this in India - Will I be able to get this repaired? I am assuming if it has an issue - plus the repair cost - it will still be worthwhile to ask someone to get it from US as my existing Pioneer is also from USA and so are my 5.1 speaker+ sub setup and they all are working great for the past ten years - i use a step down transformer for my receiver and my sub woofer.

Also let me know if there any other good options below 600 USD mark as I dont want him to undergo any customs hassles. I have another 45 days to order as he is visiting mid may.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

I have a desktop with RX 570 - I hope the HDMI to these modern day receivers will work to get Atmos sound? I mostly plan to download movies, since as I mentioned, I have unlimited internet I only watch one movie a week or a fortnight and typical Atmos downloads are around 15 GB per movie. I do have Netflix/Amazon/Hotstar...etc and not sure if they will output Atmos signal if played on a computer...I will google on this myself but my preference is to download the movie watch as these streaming services are glitchy sometimes plus clarity is not that good compared to playing a file off a desktop

HI Everyone,

I have the PIoneer 1020-K receiver which is 7.1 I think and it has served me well for 10 years and still going strong. With Dolby Atmos receivers becoming affordable and unlimited internet thanks to Excitel - I thought it was time for me to upgrade.

I found this Yamaha TSR 700 7.1 receiver for 440 dollars in US. Could not find India price but I am assuming it will be at least two times. My friend is willing to get from US...so say with Taxes it will be around 35K - is it ok to get this particular or look for anything else?

I am not a audiophile and I just want to add Atmos to my existing 5.1 Andrew Jones Pioneer setup and this is the cheapest one I found and reviews seem to be fine except for few issues. But no matter what brand of receiver reviews I read - people are always complaining.

Assuming something goes wrong with this in India - Will I be able to get this repaired? I am assuming if it has an issue - plus the repair cost - it will still be worthwhile to ask someone to get it from US as my existing Pioneer is also from USA and so are my 5.1 speaker+ sub setup and they all are working great for the past ten years - i use a step down transformer for my receiver and my sub woofer.

Also let me know if there any other good options below 600 USD mark as I dont want him to undergo any customs hassles. I have another 45 days to order as he is visiting mid may.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

I have a desktop with RX 570 - I hope the HDMI to these modern day receivers will work to get Atmos sound? I mostly plan to download movies, since as I mentioned, I have unlimited internet I only watch one movie a week or a fortnight and typical Atmos downloads are around 15 GB per movie. I do have Netflix/Amazon/Hotstar...etc and not sure if they will output Atmos signal if played on a computer...I will google on this myself but my preference is to download the movie watch as these streaming services are glitchy sometimes plus clarity is not that good compared to playing a file off a desktop

Before you pick this up, why not contact Yamaha India over phone and check if they will service / repair this model if any issue in the near future? I dont think this model would be covered here and getting spares would be challenging. Why not explore models that are available in india and then decide if local purchase or US purchase makes sense?

Yamaha V6A which is the same one as this as per Youtube reviewers...listed at 62K on a site and sold out and on Amazon Atmos receivers are all 80K and above.

Given V6A is sold in India - I guess its safe to assume it can be serviced here as well. I will go ahead and ask my friend to buy the Yamaha.

Ok...found this on Yamaha India website as well

Last edited:
HI..what would be the total power consumption in terms of Watts of the Yamaha V6A in US? I need to buy a step down transformer and I guess we need to buy twice the rated wattage of the gadget to account for 220 to 110 per what I read. Below link only shows idle consumption but not consumption on full load. Thx

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v6a/specs.html#product-tabs but this one is Indian website

https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.1-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html this one doesnt mention power consumption at all

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v6a/specs.html#product-tabs US one is similar to Indian one.

Ok got the below from the manual..

Maximum Power Consumption (All ch driven 10% THD) ( [Asia, Brazil, Central and South America and General models] 590 W

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am facing peculiar issue with my Yamaha V-585 AV receiver.

Setup: Yamaha AV receiver is connected to Sony X90J TV with ARC HDMI cable.
AVR Age: 1.5 yrs

Whenever i play video with DTS or DTS-X audio files(connected USB HDD to TV) , audio cuts out for a few seconds and then returns.When it does cut out, the speaker icons disappear from the display of the receiver, and then return again just before the audio plays.

Observed this issue is happening only with DTS audio movie files

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I am facing peculiar issue with my Yamaha V-585 AV receiver.

Setup: Yamaha AV receiver is connected to Sony X90J TV with ARC HDMI cable.
AVR Age: 1.5 yrs

Whenever i play video with DTS or DTS-X audio files(connected USB HDD to TV) , audio cuts out for a few seconds and then returns.When it does cut out, the speaker icons disappear from the display of the receiver, and then return again just before the audio plays.

Observed this issue is happening only with DTS audio movie files

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks.
Which media player are u using to play video files on Sony X90J TV (kodi or Internal video player).

With HDMI ARC only DD and DTS audio can be transmitted to AV receiver.

Which media player are u using to play video files on Sony X90J TV (kodi or Internal video player).

With HDMI ARC only DD and DTS audio can be transmitted to AV receiver.
I am using Sony's internal media player app. DD, DTS, Dolby atmos sounds are played(except true HD). But issue is faced only with DTS audio, Audio is keep getting cut during file play.

Trier with Kodi as well. Same audio cut issue is observed. So not getting whether it is AVR or TV problem.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back