Yamaha AVR owners thread

My AVR Rx 473 had gone into protection mode. After following the usual method ( pressing info, tone & power button together) it came back to life for a day or so then again gone back to standby mode. This time it is showing the message as A - 1 - 1 DSP MARGIN. The ' sleep ' sign is also glowing.
Can anybody suggest a solution pl. Thanks in advance.
- V N MATHUR
Someone replaced IC and problem got solved -

Someone replaced IC and problem got solved -
Thanks spirovious for the pointer. That means I have to take it to the service centre at Kolkata.
In this covid times

I decided to sell my AVR and upgrade. Does anyone have any recommendations for Yamaha dealers in Mumbai (with available stock!). I am interested in the Yamaha V6A. Actually, not really sure why I’m sticking to Yamaha lol. Just used to the interface I guess. And I love the mobile apps. Has anyone used both Yamaha and Denon/Marantz and what has been your experience (with similarly priced models? Also, has YPAO been improved on the newer Yamaha models? That’s one thing that annoys me. Results are so inconsistent and often completely off the mark.

Hi....Looking for expert opinion who can shed some light on the problem that i am facing

Problem : ARC broken or not working at times with my Yamaha RX -V375 AVR. I have a Mi Q1 75 inch TV connected to Yamaha V375 port. The AVR fails to detect audio signal from either the TV or Firestick (plugged in TV's HDMI 1) and DTH (plugged in TV's HDMI port 3) when I power on. I have to toggle between inputs once and then the AVR starts working. However irrespective of the source codec , the AVR always shows Dolby Digital+ .

Below are a few things that has been done to identify the issue

- Replace HDMI cables
- Swap ports
- reset and restart from scratch
- HDMI CEC off / on , ARC off / on

As of now the only way to make things work is to toggle input on my Yamaha remote (default ARC is on AV4). When i start my TV and AVR for the first time , I have to switch to another input apart from AV4 and then press AV4 and it works.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hello anyone in mumbai has YPAO microphone?
I need it for calibration and I have lost my microphone
I can pick it up via courier and deliver it back via courier

Dear friends,

I've recently bought Yamaha YHT-3072 HTIB and connected with my smart TV (Samsung ua43ru7470uxxl) using STB's HDMI cable connected to both AVR & TV's HDMI Arc. However I'm unable to stream tv audio to AVR.

When I go to audio output settings in my tv, it shows only 3 options- Tv speaker, Optical and Bluetooth. HDMI Arc is missing in this option, which seems unusual. On going further into settings, HDMI Anynet CEC is enabled on tv, still only 3 audio output methods are being displayed.

When I connect fire tv stick to HDMI 1 of AVR & stream to TV on HDMI ARC, it works superbly.

Bought the system 2 days ago from local store with Bill, and currently out of station for Diwali holidays. Had communicated to the store owner over Video Call and he asked to buy new good HDMI Cable. I don't think that is the issue. Haven't asked for installation from them yet as they charge Rs. 2500/- for the same, instead done setup myself dummily the same night just to check out the system in excitement as I had to leave for hometown next day.

Had enabled HDMI arc in AVR, and output to Audio 1 in AVR as suggested by store owner. Still not working.

What should I do? Is my tv at fault or is it AVR or HDMI cable needs to be changed? Please guide friends.

Dear friends,

I've recently bought Yamaha YHT-3072 HTIB and connected with my smart TV (Samsung ua43ru7470uxxl) using STB's HDMI cable connected to both AVR & TV's HDMI Arc. However I'm unable to stream tv audio to AVR.

When I go to audio output settings in my tv, it shows only 3 options- Tv speaker, Optical and Bluetooth. HDMI Arc is missing in this option, which seems unusual. On going further into settings, HDMI Anynet CEC is enabled on tv, still only 3 audio output methods are being displayed.

When I connect fire tv stick to HDMI 1 of AVR & stream to TV on HDMI ARC, it works superbly.

Bought the system 2 days ago from local store with Bill, and currently out of station for Diwali holidays. Had communicated to the store owner over Video Call and he asked to buy new good HDMI Cable. I don't think that is the issue. Haven't asked for installation from them yet as they charge Rs. 2500/- for the same, instead done setup myself dummily the same night just to check out the system in excitement as I had to leave for hometown next day.

Had enabled HDMI arc in AVR, and output to Audio 1 in AVR as suggested by store owner. Still not working.

What should I do? Is my tv at fault or is it AVR or HDMI cable needs to be changed? Please guide friends.
I am using optical out from my VU tv with the same avr model as you... Use audio 1 assignable and that works fine

I am using optical out from my VU tv with the same avr model as you... Use audio 1 assignable and that works fine
We have mototola revou tv as well. Will try avr with that too to make sure that my avr isn't faulty. Ordered both optical and HDMI cables from Amazon.

Last edited:
Dear friends,

Attach Fire Stick and all input devices to the AVR and not the TV. Connect the TV with just "out" HDMI of the AVR. Your problem will be solved.

Attach Fire Stick and all input devices to the AVR and not the TV. Connect the TV with just "out" HDMI of the AVR. Your problem will be solved.
Already doing that and it's working fine as expected. I have fire stick since the days I have non smart samsung tv and it is attached to that in parents room. Bought smart tv in 2019 and it has all the features. I am concerned about hdmi arc not working with that. Is it HTIB's issue or my Samsung TV. :(
I want AVR to connect with the smart tv via hdmi arc. Don't want to buy another fire stick.

Already doing that and it's working fine as expected. I have fire stick since the days I have non smart samsung tv and it is attached to that in parents room. Bought smart tv in 2019 and it has all the features. I am concerned about hdmi arc not working with that. Is it HTIB's issue or my Samsung TV. :(
I want AVR to connect with the smart tv via hdmi arc. Don't want to buy another fire stick.
Samsung's HDMI CEC implementation is very iffy and butty, I also faced the same issues in Denon3600-Samsung7470. Once I switched to a diff brand TV, life has been peaceful. You need to be very lucky for Samsung's HDMI CEC to work as intended.

Thanks spirovious for the pointer. That means I have to take it to the service centre at Kolkata.
In this covid times

Did your AVR get repaired?

BTW You made a mistake in troubleshooting "The DSP Margin" is the first menu item that comes when you go into trouble shooting. So don't assume that your receiver has something to do with DSP Margin. If the AVR has been repaired, then fine. If not, I can walk you through it and help you figure out the actual issue.

Few days back my Yamaha started going into protection mode. Yamaha stores the last 4 errors in 4 buffers 1, 2, 3, 4. Once you get the DSP Margin displayed, you have to press the "TV" button on the front panel to cycle through all the menu items. Once you come to power supply menu, then you have to press the Radio button to go into a submenu. Every model has its own way to troubleshoot. This is given in detail in the service manual. You will have to search and download the service manual specific to your model.

Did your AVR get repaired?

BTW You made a mistake in troubleshooting "The DSP Margin" is the first menu item that comes when you go into trouble shooting. So don't assume that your receiver has something to do with DSP Margin. If the AVR has been repaired, then fine. If not, I can walk you through it and help you figure out the actual issue.

Few days back my Yamaha started going into protection mode. Yamaha stores the last 4 errors in 4 buffers 1, 2, 3, 4. Once you get the DSP Margin displayed, you have to press the "TV" button on the front panel to cycle through all the menu items. Once you come to power supply menu, then you have to press the Radio button to go into a submenu. Every model has its own way to troubleshoot. This is given in detail in the service manual. You will have to search and download the service manual specific to your model.
I did not get it repaired. I did the old trick I.e, disconnected all inputs, outputs & power and left it to ' dry' for 8- 10 days. Though the messages " DSP Margin A 1" and " check sp wires" came again, after switching off and then ' on ' , it is now working well. The service centre guy had told me that generally, moisture causes some malfunctioning in these things . So I applied the idea of ' drying up' and it has worked so far. I hope it stays that way. Still, I am keeping note of your suggestion, as this appears to be the right solution. Thanks a lot.
-vnmathur57

I did not get it repaired. I did the old trick I.e, disconnected all inputs, outputs & power and left it to ' dry' for 8- 10 days. Though the messages " DSP Margin A 1" and " check sp wires" came again, after switching off and then ' on ' , it is now working well. The service centre guy had told me that generally, moisture causes some malfunctioning in these things . So I applied the idea of ' drying up' and it has worked so far. I hope it stays that way. Still, I am keeping note of your suggestion, as this appears to be the right solution. Thanks a lot.
-vnmathur57
That's great. How's the ventilation around the receiver? Is it in the open or inside a cabinet?

MaSh

I've recently got myself a 65G1 and the experience has been great. My setup includes Yamaha 473 which is connected to the G1's eARC port. I've selected eARC as the sound setting.

It works well for quite a bit of content however for some apps and content the handshake seems to be the issue

When i play Netflix app on the TV, for content having the regular and 5.1 streams, i have to toggle between the two streams a few times before the arc works properly and i get 5.1 streaming to the AVR. If i pause the content there's a chance that the arc stops and i have to toggle again a few times.

Even in Prime app, some content just doesn't play audio. I've eliminated the hdmi cable as it works for quite a few content streams. I've tried selecting the passthrough option and have eARC enabled. Any suggestions?

Hi Yamaha avr owners,

Kindly clarify a doubt.

Devices:

TV Sony BX400 1080p NO ARC
AVR RX V673 ARC
Mi Box/Firestick 4k ARC

If I connect the Mi Box/Firestick 4k to AVR RX V673 ARC via HDMI and then AVR to TV via HDMI.
  1. Will i be able to control the volume of the AVR with Mi Box/Firestick 4k remote?
  2. Will i be able to turn on/off AVR via Mi Box/Firestick 4k remote?
  3. Will i get 5.1 DD+ in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via above connection sequence?
Thanks

Hi Yamaha avr owners,

Kindly clarify a doubt.

Devices:

TV Sony BX400 1080p NO ARC
AVR RX V673 ARC
Mi Box/Firestick 4k ARC

If I connect the Mi Box/Firestick 4k to AVR RX V673 ARC via HDMI and then AVR to TV via HDMI.
  1. Will i be able to control the volume of the AVR with Mi Box/Firestick 4k remote?
  2. Will i be able to turn on/off AVR via Mi Box/Firestick 4k remote?
  3. Will i get 5.1 DD+ in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via above connection sequence?
Thanks
Does Sony BX400 support HDMI CEC. Check the manual. What you require is HDMI CEC and not ARC. If your TV doesn't support ARC, all you need to do is connect the audio out of the TV to one of the audio input of the AVR. Not supporting ARC is not a big deal. What is important is that your tv supports CEC.

I can't say about Mi. But if it has a standard implementation of CEC, then the remote of Mi will work.

There are two technologies at play here. HDMI ARC and HDMI CEC. Both are different but people assume that ARC also means controlling the equipment (things like power on/off, volume control, etc).

Let me explain how this HDMI control (CEC) works.

1. If your unit supports HDMI CEC then the remote for the unit appears as a keyboard/mouse to the unit. So if you have connected a firestick, sony PS4, PS5 to the tv or the avr HDMI inputs, the remote is presented as a keyboard/mouse to the avr/tv. So if you press volume+ or volume- on PS4, the volume of TV, AVR PS4 will all be increased as if they are are one unit.

2. When a unit supports ARC, it is a very small subset of HDMI CEC. It just means that the HDMI cable, connected to the ARC supported HDMI port of the TV, can act as input for VIDEO/AUDIO input for the TV and also AUDIO output of the TV. So both audio input and output is also sent back on the same HDMI cable. Let say your TV has 5 HDMI ports. One of the HDMI port on the TV (let us say HDMI 2) has been labled as supporting ARC. Then you should connect the HDMI out of the AVR to HDMI2 of the TV. Now if you have a firestick connected to HDMI4 of TV, the AVR will get the output of firestick audio through HDMI2 and will play the audio content through the AVR speakers rather than the TV speakers.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. It has nothing to do with HDMI CEC which stands for HDMI Consumer Electronic Control and is a much more comprehensive technology than HDMI ARC.

EDIT:
To give you a personal example - I have a panasonic plasma tv 2012 vintage. It's HDMI2 port is conntected to my Yamaha AVR 2010 vintage HDMI out port. The AVR has a Raspberry PI4, Sony PS4, Firestick connected to 3 of its 5 HDMI in ports. When I use firestick to see movies I can either use the firestick remote or the TV remove. When I play games I can use the playstation controller or the TV remote to do basic operations. When I see use Kodi on Raspberry PI, I can scroll using the TV remote or the keyboard connected to raspberry PI.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back