Yamaha NS 7/8900 micro review

corElement

Couple of days ago I visited the newly opened yamaha showroom in mgf metropolitan mall in gurgaon and had the opportunity to hear the ns 7900 and 8900 towers ( I heard them on a yamaha amp ( not sure of the model number ).

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/products/products_detail.aspx?ImageId=891

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/products/products_detail.aspx?ImageId=889

External
The first thing I noticed about both of them were the drivers didnt seem to have any kind of specialization to them, it wasnt kevlar, it wasnt composite resin, it wasnt mineral sandwich, just plain ( almost cheap ) glossy paper. The external appearance of the cabinet seemed solid but upon closer inspection some of the groves I found were to be of fairly thin thickness. The tweeter mounting seemed to be a combo of plastic and aluminium with a plastic arrow covering the tweeter in case of the 8900.

Acoustic
When I saw the drivers I could pretty much get an idea what kind of a sound they would produce so I heard out both of them. Suffice to say I didnt hold my breath. The sound badly lacked transparency. True mid ranges were completely missing and midbass totally dominated the highs and lows. Voices were suppressed, effects were lost. Overall both the towers were extremely disappointing. No matter which song they player all of them suffered the same issue, I attempted to change the bass and treble settings - no point. The towers were simply incapable of producing it.

Conclusion

For 17-25k these towers offer nothing to the public except a box taking up space in your room. There are klipsch f1's and mission towers for cheaper which offer far fat better value for money. ANY decent bookshelves in the 12k-20k range will crush these in SQ and VFM. If you're interested in yamaha, their higher end NS and soavo series are possibly better however I'd rather take MA rs/rx-6 or dali ikon/lector's anyday ( My personal subjective choice )

Thank you for reading, a lot of people were curious about yamaha offerings, thought it would be helpful.

72568_4aef06253677a_copy72569.jpg

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back