Yamaha RXV361 Need feedback

raman340

Hi All,

Just got registered on this forum. On the Indian mkt this is perhaps the only de-facto portal for all AV queries. Thanks and Kudos to all for making this a reality.

I need some consultation from you guys (Have gone through almost all articles before writing this).

Requirement: HTIB 25-40K budget (I know this has been answered, but there is more to it).

Planned: Yamaha RXV361 (around 16K), or Denon 1707 (29K), speakers:
1) NSP110, or (around 8K)
2) Moviestar 60 plus or (around 17K)
3) Moviestar 70 plus (around 25K, I know this overshoots my budget)

My queries:
1) Hows the Yamaha RXV361, any other recommendation?
2) What combo should I go in for in the above scenario
3) Any other recommendations (av/spkr)??

Hoping a response from you all.
Thanks
Raman

Ok Guys
Here's another update.
I think I might go in favour of Denon (1708) instead of yamaha:
1) Has Auto EQ (I love this feature), Audessey Auto setup
2) Has a better "sound" reputation
3) Is 7.1
4) Has DTS neo and supports most of the standards

Do you think it is the right decision?
Is Denon reliable? I heard some stability issues.

And Guys my other Q's.. please I am awaiting....

...I think I might go in favour of Denon (1708) ... Is 7.1...Has DTS neo and supports most of the standards...

Do you think it is the right decision?
Is Denon reliable? I heard some stability issues.

IMHO, Yes it is a good decision. Although, the reasons you mentions might not be the deciding factors.

7.1 - how many movies do we know having 7.1 channel encoding?

DTS Neo - handy feature, if that matters to you. [ http://www.avland.co.uk/info/dtsneo6.htm ]

In my opinion (and experience) Denons are the most reliable AVRs I have come across, so stability issues are 'news' to me. Could you elaborate please?

However, if you are after features and presumably a future-proof solution, I would have to suggest you Onkyo TxSr605.

Last edited:
yamaha rx v361 has some issues like handling and switching over on dolby digital format. kindly google the model no with problem and look for the ones complaining. the model is priced around 14k at chennai, but not worth money. instead go for marantz sr301 with wharfedale speakers. they are more sweet and enough for normal sized rooms. marantz comes with 3yrs warrenty. never go for yamaha spks in low range. u can still have ns-p440 for 18k if u love yamaha, but nothing less than that. but I feel crystal 40 HCP from wharfedale with SR301 from marantz is good for you.
7.1 is just eyewash still in india and its better to invest in good spks along with decent 5.1 AVR.

Thanks unleash_me and diplomat for your quick and apt replies.
The need for Neo6 or PLII is that mostly I would be using it for Worldspace, DTH, Audio/CDs. I am putting it up in our living room (So no dedicated room, hence have to cater to everybody's needs). Whereas I am movie/FX buff.
I agree that we do not have much 7.1 encoded movies (Infact haven't seen one), but then I feel much of the technological updates are being done on 7.1 sets. And 7.1 just comes as an extra feature. Infact I needed a 5.1 (but then I thot I might as well upgrade to a higher (7.1) one, to keep me future-proof for some time)
I will have a look at O SR605. But people suggested me that I buy a good receiver now. And that Onkyo's are entry levels (came as a surprise to me tho).

As far as Denon's stability is concerned, I heard from somewhere (not sure if it was this forum, had been going thru a lot of sites of-late) that they have complex circuitry, and lands up in trouble. I got a little more worried after I saw a Denon receiver kept for repair at a showroom. (I don't know if its Onkyo's marketing strategy :) )

I have also been advised to go for Wharfedale (MS 60+ or 70+). But I checked on their site...these guys feature in mini-systems!!! Only Diamond series receives some accolades. I agree with Diplomat that Yamaha lower range speakers aren't good. Instead I will upgrade now to a good AV receiver (I have decent sounding chineese "but not chaalo" 5.1, 4 ohm, 2500W speakers), and upgrade a year later to good speakers.

1) So If I rephrase my query Will Onkyo SR605 be better sounding than Denon 1708?
2) Has anybody heard of Denon's 1708's issues?
3) Should one go for gray mkt stuff or auth stuff?
4) Does anyone have a pricing for Denon 1708?
5) Also I heard its not worth buying a HDMI compliant AV recv, since you can always connect a HDMI DVD player directly to your LCD for video). Is it correct?
6) Any other AV receiver in this range (20-30K)?

Lastly, thank you guys, without this forum, we all would have been in the dark.

Hi Raman,
Checkout you can get this Onkyo Dominator model HTS670 5.1-Channel A/V Sorround Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package. this is an old 5.1 model with good speaker with in your bedget. also go for DVD player which has HD upscaling. pioneer DV-400-V you get in chennai gray market around 4.5k.

-sk

its good to see that ur active in this forum, certainly 7.1, HDMI carry no meaning until u get HDTV and SACD etc. in INDIA. 7.1 needs a big hall for channel separation and not the ones we use for living rooms. the rear channels are matrix of SR and SL in upconverting 5.1 to the rear. dplII is enough to make ur 2 channel source to 5.1 to some extent. ur existing speakers are of 4 ohm and its difficult to get AVR for that rating. DENON handles 6 to 16 ohms and MARANTZ/YAMAHA also don't go less than 6 ohms. better u go 4 both avr and speakers. my personal feeling, never get into onkyo low end HTiBs with full range drivers. U can think off SR800 and above for some significant effect in wooden matrix. Never think of al diacast body, which u will get with all HTiBs less than 30K. wharfedale speakers shall only be judged in the demo room and not by the size of drivers. I own WH2 from wharfedale and they proved to be better than many models with drivers of 5 inch and more. if ur pocket permits, go for diamond 8 or 9 series and check 4 reviews on net. u will not be disappointed. if u can come out with the limit u have in ur mind to invest, may be we can help u.... I am any way here to share the lovely output from my MARANTZ SR300 with WH2.

its good to see that ur active in this forum, certainly 7.1, HDMI carry no meaning until u get HDTV and SACD etc. in INDIA. 7.1 needs a big hall for channel separation and not the ones we use for living rooms. the rear channels are matrix of SR and SL in upconverting 5.1 to the rear. dplII is enough to make ur 2 channel source to 5.1 to some extent. ur existing speakers are of 4 ohm and its difficult to get AVR for that rating. DENON handles 6 to 16 ohms and MARANTZ/YAMAHA also don't go less than 6 ohms. better u go 4 both avr and speakers. my personal feeling, never get into onkyo low end HTiBs with full range drivers. U can think off SR800 and above for some significant effect in wooden matrix. Never think of al diacast body, which u will get with all HTiBs less than 30K. wharfedale speakers shall only be judged in the demo room and not by the size of drivers. I own WH2 from wharfedale and they proved to be better than many models with drivers of 5 inch and more. if ur pocket permits, go for diamond 8 or 9 series and check 4 reviews on net. u will not be disappointed. if u can come out with the limit u have in ur mind to invest, may be we can help u.... I am any way here to share the lovely output from my MARANTZ SR300 with WH2.

I am planning to buy Hitachi 42" Full HD, a stunner in its class. My current Pioneer DVD player plays DVD-A and SACD (but don't have much CDs).
I agree that 7.1's require a larger room for better sound separation. But I guess I am keeping this option open for future home (gives me a good incentive to buy one too :) )
I wasn't aware that 7.1's are matrix encoded with Rears. I saw that when I read 1708's manual. (haven't bot it yet :) )
I also read in the manual that 1708 can handle 4 ohm spkrs but with prolonged usage and at higher volumes, the amp's Protection ckt might get triggered.
I heard Onkyo's are rich in features but Denon's scores high on sound quality. Thanks for the suggestion on Al die cast body (I will keep in mind). As of now I am planning to go in for a Demo on saturday with my current spkrs and 1707 (he doesn't have a 1708 as of now for the demo, but I believe the sound reproduction should be the same). If I had more budget my first choice would have been wharfedale.
The retailer also suggested me Marantz-4002.

If I had more budget my first choice would have been wharfedale.

Hmm....see if you can squeez in a pair of Diamond 9.5 or atleast 9.1 -shouldnt cost you a bomb.

You wd be amazed by the difference in the quality of sound.

All the best.

Hi "unleash-me"
I can feel the passion with which you want me also to experience good sound. But buddy for me there are some constraints. The local decent 5.1 spkrs sets which I have will get stocked in my junk yard if I buy a new set. (Like my old PC, like my 3 headphones, like my half a dozen other speakers...you get the idea!!!) At the same time I don't want to be a spend-miser on speakers. So I will see how my speakers fare on sat..and will trouble you if I make up my mind on buying a new set.

Point taken!

Btw, why dont you try eBay? Am sure there will be someone out there who would be interested in the things that you might consider 'junk' ;)

Point taken!

Btw, why dont you try eBay? Am sure there will be someone out there who would be interested in the things that you might consider 'junk' ;)

:) I did that already, but I didn't publish it, since I feel:
1) Demo for every buyer would not be possible
2) Shipping outside Delhi would not be possible either. (It is heavy and courier would be costly)
3) If I don't make up my mind for the new speakers, I would need "some" speakers to play on..So I am waiting for the feedback..

since you are in Delhi, you can contact Mr. Ahitosh, He has some good speakers (made in malaysia) but not sure if he sells them still. i bought a pair of tower speakers from him in 2004. they are good. worth and value for money (8K :)

9811278764..he has got lot of options (Boston acoustics, Mordaunt Short, etc..etc..)

cheers>>

HI Guys
Thanks a lot for posting and giving me with some vital info.
Just a few questions still left unanswered:

1) Has anybody heard of Denon's 1708's issues? (I think I will post in a thread)
2) Should one go for gray mkt stuff or auth stuff?
3) Does anyone have a pricing for Denon 1708? (will club with the 1st)

Best regards
Raman

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back